Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
08 Tundra, 98 4Runner, 96 Tacoma
1 Posts
Is your 2008 4x4 ? Can i do my 4x4 2007 lile this and leave the exhaust alone? Thanks
I went with the exhaust method. Removing everything downstream of the headers to the muffler. I did this without having to remove the exhaust mani/headers. It took some maneuvering but it can be done. I also had to move the trans cooler line bracket out of the way and disconnect the lines themselves. It might have been easier just to loosen the motor mount bolt as suggested but I was in too deep before I found that suggestion. I used this video as a guide

but had to remove the above mentioned as the truck in the video was 2WD. Everything else was the same though. One thing to note if you follow this guys vid, he lies about the airlock for the trans cooler lines. Ask me how I know lol. Get some sort of plug ready and be prepared to take an antifreeze shower. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I followed this too, with the exception of removing cooling lines scratch that... if you follow the cooling lines up remove the bolt bracket from the engine and it'll be loose the line enough to fit the ratchet on the top starter bolt....

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
I just did the Starter replacement on my 07 Tundra 5.7 4wd. I did not remove the header. I did loosen the 2 motor mount bolts on each side but did not remove the bolts. Then I lifted the engine 3 or 4 inches to help remove the broken start. I ordered the new starter 28100-0S050 for $176 from Larry H Miller in Utah and a new starter connector plug kit 90980-11400 that broke from KSV Looms in Florida. I recommend the Denso OEM starter 28100-0S050 as it is improved over the original. It is smaller in diameter, shorter and more efficiently designed. It was much easier to install because of that. The starter heat shield was the hardest part of the install.

·
Premium Member
1,843 Posts
Starter on my 2008 failed without warning. Was pressure washing vinyl siding on my house and went to BK for lunch. Turned the key and nada. Battery was good. Called AAA and had it towed to a great independent shop for repair. $742 and two days without it. I had rented a towable lift for the job and didn't want to take time out to do the truck repair myself. Truck had about 163K on it then.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts