Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced the starter on my 2008 tundra.

No exhaust removal!!!

Only things removed were splash guards and heat shields.

The dealer wants 6 hours and a ton of money to replace these. All the manuals and forum write ups show the same steps. Let me know if you guys want a step by step on how I did it. Big time and money saver.

·
Premium Member
8,114 Posts
You know we want it...post it up. Some of these older models are going to start needing them.

·
Premium Member
1,477 Posts
Post it up!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So, my tundra, 2008 with 173,000 miles decided not to start one afternoon about 25 miles from home. After towing it home and diagnosing the problem I decided that it was the starter. Not bad for 173k.

All the write ups I have seen require removal of the exhaust manifold and the cats. Sounds insane to me.

I started by doing the following steps.

1. Jack up vehicle
2. Remove passenger tire
3. Remove front and rear rubber splash guards from the wheel well
4. Remove 2 corrugated looking aluminum heat shields from around the exaust manifold and the starter.
5. Remove 1 galvanized steel looking heat shield from the exaust manifold.
6. Remove lower starter bolt
7. Upper bolt is difficult, but you can reach it through the wheel well with a 14 mm wrench. I had to add an extension to break it free.
8. Slide the starter back and rotate the solenoid toward you. Pull the plastic hinged plate from the wiring connection and remove the 12mm bolt
9. Remove the solenoid connection. Pull the wires away removing them from a metal clip on the frame.
10. Now you can twist the starter out and away from it's mounting position. This is where you realize the reason for the tech instructions calling out removing the manifold. The starter will not fit between the frame and manifold to remove it.
11. Solution!!! Remove the large engine mount bolt. Then jack the passenger side of the motor up an inch. The starter can now be removed.
12. Reinstall everything and be on your way.

The dealer wanted $1200 to do this and 6 hours of labor. It took me four hours.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Man is there a way you could describe where you put the jack my luck id end up making the job price equal to what it would have cost to have it repaired by a shop!

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if the dealer does do it this way.......

·
Registered
8 Posts
So,

I'm about an hour into this fun project (taking a food break) and I've gotten all the heat shields off. That lower corrigated one was a real PITA. It should be real entertaining putting that one back on.

Thanks for the procedure. My only worry left is getting the engine mount loose :)

·
Banned
5,396 Posts
So,

I'm about an hour into this fun project (taking a food break) and I've gotten all the heat shields off. That lower corrigated one was a real PITA. It should be real entertaining putting that one back on.

Thanks for the procedure. My only worry left is getting the engine mount loose :)
Engine mounts loose?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Engine mounts loose?
Turns out the hardest part was getting the freaking starter free from it's location. Not even out of the frame, but just out of it's hole. Its behind a metal line that makes it all but impossible to free.

New starter is in, all connected and bolted up. About to try a test start. (looking for mpi fuse)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I started at line 6:30, ate dinner for 15-20m. Then the wife and kid got home at like 9 ( small interruption). And I finished about 11pm, cleaned up and went for a test ride, got back, shut it off, and Restarted it.

New starter sounds different. Seems to turn over a bit quicker and its quieter.

·
Banned
5,396 Posts
I started at line 6:30, ate dinner for 15-20m. Then the wife and kid got home at like 9 ( small interruption). And I finished about 11pm, cleaned up and went for a test ride, got back, shut it off, and Restarted it.

New starter sounds different. Seems to turn over a bit quicker and its quieter.
They change them a little through the years. Mine sounded different also

·
Registered
57 Posts
I don't know how ysll were able to remove the top starter shield and that galvanized shield. I sheared the rusted bolt off from the galvanized shield. Reading it just sounds way too easy.
Right now I'm trying to get to the top starter bolt and shit that's a bitch to get to. My wrenches are not long enough to get in there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just finished the entire job at one go ......I did lift the motor and the hardest thing were those f%#*€ heat shields.
U don't need to remove nothing else since manifold caskets are sold as a set of 130$ and I really don't wanna mess up all the bolts.
Job well done!

·
Registered
7 Posts
This method may not take less time than removing the exhaust manifold and I bet is much more frustrating.

You have to take into account the trips to the computer to re-read the how to's just to get reassurance that the heat shields and starter will actually come out from behind the manifold, and then removing them is like a bad puzzle. I had to cut one of the aluminum shields to get it out as well as one of the bolts holding the steel shield.

Took about 3 hours just to get the starter out. This job rates up there on the list of worst ever. Now waiting for the new one to come in.

·
Registered
8 Posts
This method may not take less time than removing the exhaust manifold and I bet is much more frustrating.

You have to take into account the trips to the computer to re-read the how to's just to get reassurance that the heat shields and starter will actually come out from behind the manifold, and then removing them is like a bad puzzle. I had to cut one of the aluminum shields to get it out as well as one of the bolts holding the steel shield.

Took about 3 hours just to get the starter out. This job rates up there on the list of worst ever. Now waiting for the new one to come in.
HAHA, no doubt it was not fun. For me the heat shields came out ok, the starter had me perplexed for a while. I had to stop, get up and come back after a little bit. It seems to only slide out one way. The next feat will be bending the heat shield to get all the bolt holes lined up and back on :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Overall guys I think this job because of its complexity would rate from 1-10 a solid 9!
Cutting aluminum shields and bolts it's really not a good idea I wouldn' of done it like that!
Just put on some " and justice for all" and beer
-helps the frustration with the position of all that crap in the way including the starter!
Was done in 4hrs removal and installation!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts