Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Thodhye's Mountain Build

55K views 103 replies 31 participants last post by  Blackattack45 
#1 · (Edited)
Starting with a 2014 Tundra Double Cab Limited TRD, 1G3 Magnetic Gray with Graphite leather interior. Purchased 4/2016 with 23k miles on it.

First order of business was to swap out the OE Michelins with Goodyear Duratrac in LT275/70R18. I also picked up a set of 20" Platinum wheels to run with studded tires in the winter. Leaning towards Cooper Discoverer M+S in LT275/65R20.

Also swapped out the chrome handles and chrome mirror backs with color matched 1G3 from Sparks. Picked up a 1G3 hood bulge locally, waiting on a color keyed grille.

Partially de-badged (TRD stickers and Limited badges).

Window tint will come after I get my Snugtop XV camper shell.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice truck, great start.

Reactions: thodhye
#3 · (Edited)
Rigid Dually Fog Light Mounts + Dually Amber Floods. Anytime fog mod this weekend.

Edit: swapped these to white D2 then removed them all together in preperation for an aluminum winch bumper. i didnt really like the light output on the dually or d2.

Attachments

#4 · (Edited)
Snugtop Xtra Vision installed with Yakima tracks, Skyline Towers, and 70" CoreBar. Mounting an 8x8' ARB Awning this weekend.

Attachments

#7 ·
That awning is cool. Any pics of it extended?

#8 ·
Custom 3x5" aluminum structural rails drilled and installed under factory tie down channels using factory bed holes. Three piece sleeping platform sits on top.

Im planning to revise this design and build a steel or aluminum tube platform to eliminate the need for the current 2x4 supports. This will give me a little more headroom, although this works great and fits two 30x80x4" Exped Megamat Duo to create a full 60x80" queen sleeping surface. And enough room for a Yeti Tundra 65 and plenty of gear underneath.

Also had the bed Line-X'd before installing the Snugtop.

Attachments

#9 · (Edited)
Awning deployed for testing before a big trip along the coast of California.

Attachments

#10 · (Edited)
Pismo beach camping setup. Shows one of the three ARB Awning walls installed. Long story short, a big gust of wind came the final day we were there and flipped the awning onto the snugtop. Bent the rails pretty bad but I was able to bend them back and use the awning for the rest of the trip. Contacted ARB when I returned and their support is awesome. They promptly shipped me replacement parts. I then sold that awning and picked up the updated 2.5x2.5 awning.

Attachments

Reactions: Alaskawild
#11 ·
Updated camp kitchen w/ Cook Partner Stove 22" model and 5# propane tank. This stove is the best you can buy, handmade in Pocatello Idaho. Well worth the investment. Thats a large 12" Lodge cast iron pan making potato chips.

Attachments

Reactions: TexasTundra27
#16 ·
Do you have any close up shots of how exactly you mounted the aluminum angle bed supports? I'm hunting for a topper with the same plan of making it into a camper. Similar to yours, something that doesn't have too much built into it that using the truck bed on a regular basis requires the removal of a bunch of stuff.

Love the rig, even better seeing it in Boulder!

#17 · (Edited)
Do you have any close up shots of how exactly you mounted the aluminum angle bed supports?

Love the rig, even better seeing it in Boulder!
My goal with this setup was to have enough room for a cooler underneath, just enough headroom to sleep on my side, fit two 30x80" mattresses, and make it simple enough to tear down easily and have access to the full bed. This accomplishes this perfectly for my needs.

Here's some closeup shots of the 3x5" aluminum angle. I removed the stock deck rail system and used the holes as template to drill out the aluminum angle. Be careful, the hole pattern isnt symmetric front to back. I then installed the aluminum angle underneath the factory deck rails into the factory drilled bed holes using longer stainless hardware and washers.

If you're in Colorado, you can buy these from Alreco in Henderson. I paid about $90 for the pair, I can get you exact lengths if you need.

Attachments

Reactions: wandering_buffalo
#22 · (Edited)
Bilstein 6112 front max height setting and 5160 rear. Toytec shackles set at max 1.5" lift. Goodyear Duratrac LT275/70R18.

Attachments

#36 ·
Truck looks great!! Couple questions, are you running wheel spacers on the 18's? Would a 1" block in the back still give you some rake or not? Reason I ask, I just ordered 5100's and 5160's with a 1" block and am worried it won't have any rake when it's done. I'm also going with 275/70-18's. Thanks for the help.

#23 ·
Great build cant believe i havent seen this until now!

#24 · (Edited)
Winter setup installed, factory Platinum 20" wheels with Cooper Discoverer M+S LT275/65R20 (studded). Cooper specs: 34.17" tall and 11.1" wide. No rubbing.

Attachments

#25 ·
Winter setup installed, factory Platinum 20" wheels with Cooper Discoverer M+S LT275/65R20 (studded). Cooper specs: 34.17" tall and 11.1" wide. No rubbing.

N
Pics didn't show up for me ? I am curious how does the truck feel going from 33's up to 34s. Did you notice much of a difference?

#29 ·
Thanks dude. Truck looks good.

#34 ·
I forgot about this because I haven't been on here in awhile, but I started a thread awhile back about Xtravision vs Rebel, and another guy reported the same problem: http://www.tundratalk.net/forums/tu...snugtop-rebel-vs-xtra-vision.html#post7503953. Maybe the Rebel wouldn't have this issue? I think it's been around longer. I'll follow up with this guy and see if he got it sorted out. What is your opinion on how far the topper comes down over the siderails? I mean it looked great in you pictures.

#35 ·
The rebel is the same mold as the xv but the xv has larger windows and the back latch is upgraded to stainless rods instead of cables. Is it worth another $700+ that's your call. The rebel is actually a newer shell to compete with the cheaper shells from ARE/Leer, the XV has been around for 15+ years. I like how the Snugtop wraps the edges of the rails but it did rub some paint of on the corner by the tailgate. The shell does cover some of the TRD stickers but didnt bother me because I was going to take them off anyway.

#38 ·
Had some driveline shudder on takeoff, even before the lift with the stock suspension. Just installed the small Coachbuilder carrier bearing drop kit and it's all smooth again.

#39 ·
So you put the Goodyear Duratrac in LT275/70R18 on with stock suspension originally, and there was driveline shudder? And I think you said it was more sluggish. Why would that be - just turning the bigger tires? Also - did you have any rub? Do you replace the spare tire as well - or can you use the stock spare still? Sorry for all the questions, I'd like to do the same thing and can PM you if you would like.

#44 · (Edited)
Got my Snugtop XV back on. Same one as before but the windows and seals have been replaced by Snugtop. Hopefully this one doesnt leak.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.