Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last weekend I finished the install of my Zone 5 lift with Bilstein 5100's on the lowest setting. The install went great and the kit seems well put together. However I don't like the fitment of the stock seals in the new steering knuckles. See the pictures below. If someone can send me a similar picture to the first one posted of their seals I would greatly appreciate it. Or if you have any experience with these seals from your install I would be interested in hearing your findings as well. BTW my alignment guy did take my knuckle apart for me and said he could not seat the seal any further and believes this is ok. Zone 5 tech support was only so much help since they had not seen any problems with this before. Anyway I am looking for all and any feedback.

Gap with seal and axel installed on truck with Zone 5 knuckle

Seal in Zone 5 knuckle off of truck

Seal in stock knuckle

Before w/Toytec 3/1.5 lift and Trail Grapplers 295/70/R18

After with Bilsteins set on middle setting and huge saggy ass. I have since moved them down to the lowest setting, but looking for suggestions to bring the back up to level or slight rake. I believe this gives me almost 6" of lift.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I installed my own last summer and did not notice the axle not sealing. I'm going to check it out now and make sure. I have 30k miles on my lift now and no problems with wheel bearings or anything so far so I'd assume mine are seated all the way in the seals.

As for the saggy ass pick up a set of coachbuilder's shackles. Measure to see how much you want to raise it and order accordingly. If you haul much in the bed you may want to check out an add-a-leaf also. An add-a-leaf will make it a stiffer ride though.

I'm guessing from the lifted pic posted you probably have 7" in the front in that pic. Not sure if that was at the lowest setting you mentioned having it on now or the middle setting you did have it on. Looks good, just need to get the back raised now.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bigbai2002 appreciate it if you can look into that for me.

As far as the lifted picture that was at the middle setting on the Bilsteins, which I believe give me about 1 3/4" additional lift. So I think total in that picture was almost 7. My alignment guy is dropping the shocks for me so I don't have an updated picture yet. I am going to drop it since I want to make sure it fits in the garage ok and doesn't dwarf my tires to bad. I have contacted coachbuilder already and once I get it back and measured I will make a decision on an add a leaf or the shackles. Just trying to see if anyone out there had a similar setup with a combination they preferred. Even though I know I am going to take some grief for the Bisteins.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BTW the axel is tight against the seal, I just thought it would seat in the knuckle a little better than that. Maybe it is the difference in the new seals? Maybe it is the wrong seal? I did purchase the part numbers provided in the Zone 5 instructions, but the lip is a little different. I really thought tightening the Axel nut to the 250ft/lbs would pull that thing in a lot tighter!

·
Registered
701 Posts
I'm fairly certain I reused my factory seals because my truck only had 1400 miles on it.

As far as torquing goes I could get flamed for this but I never torque axle nuts to spec. I run a 1/2" impact @ 90 psi and run them down as far as it will go while the air tank is full. Proper procedure? No. Possibly too much preload? Yes. I've never had an issue from it though and I'd rather have preload a little high than low.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I think you are right, looks pretty much the same to me as well. Thanks for the pictures, definitely gives me more confidence that these are installed properly. As far as the torque specs on the axel nut I am with you. I didn't have a 3/4 torque wrench, but I know I am greater than 175 ft/lbs. My alignment guy is going to re-torque them for me though so I am not overly worried about it. Thanks again really appreciate it and it will be interesting to see if others have/had this concern.

·
Registered
143 Posts
So the shock extensions fit the 5100 shocks in the front? I want to do this but just wanted to varify first before I order them? I already have the zone 5" lift installed and wanting to go a little higher in the front.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes the Bilstein 5100 will work with the Zone 5 lift. I talked to Zone 5 and they confirmed that they would work with their lift, but DO NOT use them on the highest setting. I used them on the medium setting and I had to grind a very small piece of the shock mount so it would fit in the connector before being compressed by the weight of the vehicle. I was also pretty difficult to get the ball joint at the top of the steering knuckle connected. Actually a friend and I had to hang on the UCA arm and pull it down while someone else threaded the nut onto the ball joint. I thought for sure it was going to pull it apart, but once it was in it wasn't a problem and for the short ride I took it on it actually rode really well. If you put the shocks on the lowest setting though I don't think there will be any issues with installing them at all, but I am guessing if you are doing this for the additional lift you will probably want to go with the medium setting. Top setting definitely won't work I don't think you could even physically install it.

BTW when putting the Bilstein 5100's in the shock extender I used the additional washer just like you would do with the stock Bilstein's on a TRD. Seemed to fit really well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts