Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Friday I started to install a zone 5” lift on my 2012 tundra. I would like to discuss the issues I have run into (not zone related) to help people understand what they’re getting themselves into while installing this lift themselves on older tundras. (For reference I live in New England and bought the truck a year back. Truck now has 164k miles on it.)

While the underbody is In very good shape overall, it was a pain in the a** to get 90% of the bolts out. I had to take a butane torch to almost all of them and an acetylene and oxygen torch to the lower control arm bolts (the locking camber bolts) and had to cut one of the control arms out after hours of torching and impacting/breaker barring not doing anything. Also, the bolts for the sway bar were spinning so instead of taking a ton of time to get them off the right way, I opted for cutting the bolts to it as well and fishing out the nut end. New lower control arm is coming in Friday, and hopefully it should be smooth sailing from there. Incase you are wondering, I have already cut the crossmember, plan on installing new crossmember and reinstalling diff and driveshaft tomorrow to prepare for Friday. To anyone with an older tundra that lives where it gets snowy, I highly recommend paying someone to install this lift over doing it yourself unless you have a lot of mechanical knowledge and/or the proper equipment and time to do it. Just my opinion, not trying to ruffle anyone’s feathers. Spent many a sawzall blades trying to get the LCA off before resorting to the torch. Thank you for reading this, will post pictures after it’s done and have wheel and tires... should be a week or so, don’t have much time right now. If I didn’t have a second vehicle I’d be screwed. Sorry for grammar errors this was typed from my phone. If anyone has a good exhaust system recommendation I would love to hear it though! Thanks in advance! If you have any tips for re-assembly I would love to hear it as well. Have a good night!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update as of Sunday... front is completely finished everything went smoothly after the new LCA came in. If you have a newer tundra and have mechanical experience, just keep track of your hardware and it should be a piece of cake. When the rear is done and the new rims and tires are in I will post some pictures.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Finally got the truck aligned and the rear end done and looks great! I have cooper 34x11 tires with moto metal 962 0 offset rims. The tires stick out about 1” and only runs slight on full turn on the front mud flap plastic. Here is what it looks like. I love the outcome! If anyone has any further questions, don’t hesitate to ask. I probably can answer most of your questions as I did the full install myself.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And I made custom mounts attached to the bottom of my grille for the light bar and have yet to straighten it out so I know it’s uneven. If anyone wants to know how I went about making it, I’d be happy to help! Hope everyone has a good night and I hope this can help other people make their decision on what lift to get and see how it looks as I had trouble when trying to find the right one for me. Any questions don’t hesitate to ask.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.