Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted the following on taco world to get opinions there, but i'd like to get fellow Tundra owners opinions too.

"Hi, I'm Bengt18T. I'm creating this post to introduce myself and to get other Taco owner's opinions about whether I should trade in my truck for a new Taco in the near future. This may be a little long but bear with me please.

Some background:
I currently own a 2008 Tundra Crewmax 5.7 4x4 (with 43k miles) and previously a 07 FJ Cruiser. I have experience with many vehicles and have been a member of many online forums. When I got my Tundra it was between that and a 2nd Gen Tacoma. I eventually went for a used Tundra due to the additional capabilites, capacities (inside and out), and not much worse fuel mileage.

Most people would say why don't you just keep the Tundra and run it to death. I could, but have some reservations. I will need to put some money into it shortly (new tires and possibly brakes), I've just had the "Bad Front Diff" replacement TSB done, my warranty is running out in a few months, and the exterior with it's soft paint is getting some wear and tear on it. I also have some back problems and the SR5 cloth power seats are very uncomfortable and have an unusual position, at least to me.

I'm currently thinking about a 2013 or 2014 Tacoma Double Cab Long Bed 4x4 TRD Sport and purchasing possibly in the next 6 months.

My needs: I will say that the Tundra is more than I need for sure. Some items are extremely nice and others are overkill for sure.

Power/Towing/Hauling: The 5.7 is AMAZING, and for such a big truck seems fairly quick, however the 4.0 on my FJ was ok. Not great, but satisfactory. I pull a few thous pound trailer occasionally, but nothing heavy. I also use the bed but rately have it full or weighed down. I think I would be ok with the performance of the Taco. Do you guys have any trouble with hauling or pulling the listed weights?

Exterior Size/Maneverability: The Tundra with tow mirrors is like riding an elephant or piloting a boat. It's actually not too bad where I live but something a little less cumbersome with less blind spots wouldn't hurt. That's why I think a double cab long bed would be ok for me. Give me the bed space I like, is still 8" shorter than my tundra, 8" skinnier, with about the same turn radius. The ride on the Tundra is ok, but occasionally I get bed bounce, which is more annoying than anything. I hear the Taco's have a more "in tune" but perhaps stiffer ride. Almost like the Tundra your riding on, whereas the Tacoma your drive in. Is this true or would you see it this way?

Interior Room: I have a 2 year old son with the possiblity of 1 more on the way, so a Taco Double Cab is a must. Obviously the Crewmax is unbeatable on interior room, but do you think a double cab would be ok? Or would my son be constantly kicking the back of the seats? What about when he would be a little older and bigger? Is it ok for someone?

Interior Comfort: I separated this because I will say that the Crewmax is a big cushy truck inside. But with my lower and mid back problems I find the rounded power drivers seat lacking support. I also find the seating position to be uncomfortable and high and the brake pedal seems too far to the left, adding to my problem. I believe I may have better luck with my back with the lower seating position, since I had no problems in the lower supportive seats of my previous cars. Can you give me your feedback on the sport seat comfort, adjustability, overall interior space to stretch out. And possibly the location of the center of the brake pedal in relation to the center of the steering wheel?

Warranty: I like to have a warranty. I was almost $hit out of luck with my front diff on the Tundra and don't enjoy cutting it that close. A new truck would of course start over on the warranty and miles.

MPG: I drive about 7-8k miles a year, most of which is city. I currently get 13 mpg in the Tundra. I've calculated if the Taco gets 16 mpg I'd save about $30 a month average. This is not much of a concern, but better mileage is always nice to have.

Financial: If I do not buy tires for the Tundra, I'd basically put a few thousand down, keep about the same payments, and extend the loan duration by about 1-1.5 years. I understand the aspects of both options and am ok with either financially.

Offroad: I do not offroad much anymore, but do occasionally take a dirt road, mountain road, or logging trail for fun. The Taco would win in true offroad, but both would serve my needs fine. Plus, you never know. Maybe I'll get back into going to Rausch Creek.

One thing I forgot to ask but am adding per EDIT... Are there any common problems in these trucks? I know the Tundra's had AIP fail and front diff problems, but most everything else is ok. What about the Taco?

I guess what it comes down to is do I downsize to a smaller but newer truck or not. I'm obviously leaning Taco, but I could honestly go either way, at least for right now. I'd like to hear as many opinions as possible, and especially from those who have switched from a Tundra to Taco, or have experience with both.

I'd plan on doing light modes to the Taco like wheels, tires, and maybe suspension.

Well, if you made it this far, thanks for reading. Let me know your opinions. Thanks.

Ben"

·
Premium Member
3,545 Posts
I have both. The Tacoma gets used for everything except towing and highway trips. I actually prefer the Tacoma for every day driving.

I don't find the mpg difference that great, so that is a non issue. For everything else I think you would be better off in a smaller rig.

Just don't come crying to us about the power difference when you get the Tacoma:)

You have done your homework. Good luck.

KO

Reactions: Ogtoyfan

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Taco should be fine. i have a friend that bought a brand new taco and has three little girls in car seats and fits all them in he's taco. At one time i thought about trading mine in on one. But decide not to Due i'm not save that much. But you need to do what is best for you.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
146 Posts
i sold my double cab Tacoma because the back seat room was not working with space. i had one infant at the time and the passenger seat was almost all teh way forward with it in place. a second child would not work since i was not able to move my seat. i found the tundra seating to be FAR superior than the tacoma in all aspects, i had terrible hip pain in the tacoma after a half hour in teh seat. i got the double cab 4.6 tundra....it was $3k less out the door than the tacoma and if i had paid sticker the tacoma was stickered at $32.5k the tundra at $26.5k. i paid $23.5 for the tundra and 26.5 for the tacoma though the tacoma was [urchased with the good will of a senior finance manager for gulf states toyota.

·
Registered
697 Posts
My wife has a 2013 Tacoma v6 and I want it ver my 2012 Tundra . I'd trade if I would not be out money.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I have newborn twins and had to sell my taco and got the crewmax tundra to be able to have the car seats facing the rear without having the steering wheel in my lap!!

Loved my taco around town and off road but love my tundra on long trips and hauling anything of size in the bed or while towing.

Reactions: 4dailyrunner

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
I would not get rid of Tundra if I have one child and one on the way. The interior space is simply not there. I originally intended to get a Taco. But whenever I see a Taco and see how tiny the cabin (and the bed) really is, I am always glad that I didn't.

Overall, you will lose money unless you keep the Taco for a long time. But then again, what are you going to do when it come time to get new tires for Taco or the warranty runs out?

Reactions: Cruzrtwdgt

·
Registered
6,445 Posts
Going with stock tires without lift will probably be best for your back. I agree with finding out just how the taco seats are. The Tundra probably has a better ride being a bigger vehicle. Some weight in the bed cures the bounce.
I am sure you could get an extended warranty for way less than the cost to change vehicles.
Maybe checking out new Tundras and Tacos from a dealer who has both.
Going either way ain't a bad deal.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I did not own a taco, but had an 08 4runner. How tall are you and what do you weigh? I am 6'4 and was 250 at the time. The 4runner was no where near as comfortable and the fuel mileage was not nearly as good as I thought it would be. When I had my grandson's carseat in the rear (2nd row) seat I could not put the seat all the way back. His feet were always kicking my in the back.

You want car seats in a truck? Keep the crewmax IMHO. 43k miles, it's just getting broken in :)

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
I owned a Taco... after being in a Tundra since 05 I will NEVER go back to the small, cramped, bouncy ride of the Tacoma.
Ive also owned a 92 4runner4x4, 95 4runner 4x4, 2000 TRD Taco 4x4, and 05 DC Tundra.
just my 2 cents.

Stick with the beast.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I traded my 07 Tacoma Double Cab for a Crewmax for the interior space.

I had a 2 yr old with one on the way . The taco was fine with one kid, I had a camper top for strollers etc....

Now with two I am very glad I upgraded to a Tundra. 2 car seats, diaper bags , toys etc...would have really loaded up the back seat of my Tacoma. It's easier for me to physically get them in and out of the cab also.

Take two car seats down to the dealer and strap them in to a Tacoma, it will give you a better idea of what your looking at space wise. You may be ok with it, but only you will know.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I traded up after my Tacoma was totaled- same model you're looking at, except an '08.

I love the extra space, and towing power, but do miss the Tacoma's size for when I'm driving around the suburbs of NYC for work. Ideally, I'd like to get a smaller car/truck for most day use. Between the two, I'm honestly split and feel either decision would be the right one for me if in your position. Obviously, doesn't answer your question, so I'd say keep the Tundra- why start a new payment. Look at it tho way- how many payments on a Tacoma would equal new tires and breaks? Lets assume after 4-5 months in keeping the tundra, you've broke even... And don't have more payments to make...

·
Premium Member
1,984 Posts
Tacomas are nice little Tundras. I wouldn't do it.

Reactions: MadManTund

·
Registered
256 Posts
I traded in my 2012 Tacoma on my Tundra. Tacoma always left a little "loose" while the Tundra handles and rides much better. I think I lost 1 to 1.5 mpg by going from a 4wd Tacoma V6 to the Tundra 4wd 5.7.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Wish you luck in your decision. I looked at my needs objectively like you did last year when buying my Tundra. For a THOUSAND dollars..a THOUSAND. I was getting more vehicle, more room, and more engine. The cabin of the taco...even with the salesman and myself in it felt smaller than my Jeep Liberty. Is the interior a bit much for just me and the dog right now yes. But what about when I have a family. Not to mention I tow a lot in the summer (atvs) and in Colorado you need all the power you can get for some of those passes.

Best of luck... you've done your research I just don't know if you want to down size your cabin space if your family is looking to get bigger. My .02

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
I drove a Dakota Quad Cab 4x4 before upgrading to my 5.7 Crewmax.

140 more horsepower

100 more pounds of torque

What felt like twice the interior space.

Vastly better ride quality, comfort, and all around performance.

Same fuel economy.

All for about 5500 bucks extra.

With that much extra value for the money I can't see any scenario where I'd go in the opposite direction and go back to a mid-sized Crew Cab unless there was some specific practicality issue that made it impossible for me to stay in a half ton.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just went from 2002 Tacoma double cab to 2011 Tndra crewmax... I loved my Tacoma, but I didn't realize what I was missing... I absolutely love my Tundra, its power and roominess (and same mpg as the Tacoma)... I recommend you keep your Tundra!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Before I bought my tundra I took a look at the new 2013 tacomas. It's a nice truck but it just wasn't for me. However, if you want a tacoma then just trade it in for one. Just make sure you think it through. Buyers remorse sucks. I've been researching, calculating, thinking on the the long run, etc before I traded my M3 and 1st gen tundra for my '13 rock warrior. All I can say is I love my truck and no regrets. Gonna pay it off and hopefully add a nice sports car to my stable to complete it.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts