Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, so I'm a new Tundra owner. Just got a 2011 CrewMax Rock Warrior
4wd 5.7. Got her last week and had her leveled next day and removed TRD rock warrior decals. One of the main reasons I got truck was to make my towing experience less stressful. I tow a 30 foot keystone outback travel trailer that weighs about 7000lbs ready to go. I had been towing it with my 2007 chevy tahoe and it got the job done but was iffy. This last weekend was my first trip with new truck and what a difference. I could actually go the speed limit with one hand on the wheel, didn't feel like I was getting pushed around and sway wasn't an issue. So much more safe feeling. I have a ez lift wd hitch and have installed reese dual cam system. So next weekend is the trip to yosemite. I live in northern california (sacramento) area and will be traveling south 99 to 120 and east into a spot named groveland where I am camping. I have heard this is a pretty hairy drive and am wondering if I have anything to worry about or if anybody has an pointers. Sorry so long winded, but I know this site rocks for advice.
Kevin

·
Registered
357 Posts
There's 2 ways to climb up from Don Pedro Reservoir to Groveland. And I don't know the length limits for it. Have you called CHP in the area for some assistance on the matter?

·
Registered
9 Posts
you will have to take a pretty squirrely grade just before oak flat, lots of SHARP turns, no guardrail, LOOONG way down. I pulled my 19 foot Jayco up that section of 120 last year with minimal problems, you can also opt for priest grade which is straighter, A 30' trailer may be pushing the limits for clearance in some of those turns. Make sure you pay attention to signage. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
357 Posts
you will have to take a pretty squirrely grade just before oak flat, lots of SHARP turns, no guardrail, LOOONG way down. I pulled my 19 foot Jayco up that section of 120 last year with minimal problems, you can also opt for priest grade which is straighter, A 30' trailer may be pushing the limits for clearance in some of those turns. Make sure you pay attention to signage. Hope that helps.
Trying priest grade with any length over 20 ft. will get you stuck a ticket and a rescue. lol

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just returned from my yosemite trip. Had a blast. Truck did a fantastic job. I think I was stressing myself out about drive up. The tundra did great. On way up priest grade I put it in S3 and took my time. It's a pretty steady grade but truck pulled nice and felt solid. Unfortunately I didn't enjoy the valley view below, kept my eyes on road.
Stayed at yosemite pines in groveland and enjoyed the grounds. Full hookups are the way to go. Did rainbow pools one afternoon which is awesome for rock diving and took the bus into the valley one day. Highly recommend.
Coming back down hill I put truck in 2 gear and stayed about 25 miles an hour. Used a couple turnouts to let people by but barely used my brakes. Trip took 3 hours from Sacramento to campground. And then yosemite valley hub is another hour or so.
All in all fun trip and I love my tundra

Reactions: Dan Allen
1 - 5 of 5 Posts