Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i used somebodies idea for the ram mount to replace the coin holder to fab up a cell phone holder

this thing fits PERFECTLY in the spot where the coin holder was. i used a piece of scrap aluminum to screw the mount into. i need to paint the screws and stuff black, but i don't have any rattle cans on me.

here's a different angle

this is a shot of the arm that connects the two "mounts"

finished product. this cell phone holder holds the phone like nobody's business. i REALLY like it.

here's a video

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks, me too. i finally convinced myself to do it and i'm glad i did. the holder i had before slid into the cd slot and tightened down. it blocked a little bit of the radio display, but it was alright. since i have this now, it was handed down to the wife's car haha.

·
Registered
3 Posts
That is just the thing I have been looking for. Do you have links or part numbers for the Ram items you used? I need to duplicate.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Good deal. Really appreciate the help.
I saw that ram also has a triple connector. I might try and add that in the mix for a phone/gps combo or something.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
So the piece of aluminum sits behind the dash panel and you screw the mount to it and the clamping tension holds it in place?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yep, exactly. you can use pretty much anything to screw it into(as long as it isn't too thick), that's just what i had readily available.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
The link you posted for the flat surface mount is 1 inch. I measure the coin holder open and it is 2 7/16s which would be a different mount. Is this correct?

Edit: Nevermind, I see now they are both 2 7/16s but the one I posted has aluminum base, plus it's cheaper, gonna try it out.

Thanks for sharing, saw your review on amazon too..

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Mounts-Flat-Surface-Mount-RAM-B-202U/dp/B000WJ6X4G/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1371059293&sr=8-2&keywords=RAM+flat+surface+mount[/ame]

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I used mine to mount my push button to prevent accidental pushing.

Attachments

·
Banned
1,133 Posts
Reactions: sprung

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
How'd you do the gps?????

I popped out the dash piece and took out the switch blank next to the tow button. I took the suction cup mount arm and stuck it through and once I had it where I wanted it I drilled 2 small holes through the base and screwed it in place. I fished my power cord through the hole as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
When I did a variation of this mod to my truck, i just pulled out the coin holder and then put the aluminum backing in through that hole. You could also just pull that section of the dash out.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I'm gonna do this mod. How do I take off the coin holder?

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
just pull it out. itll seem like its about to break something, then it will give lol

1 - 20 of 22 Posts