Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wondering if you guys can give me feedback on Warranty Extended to 100k, how much have you guys pay for it?
Thanks,
Phil

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Depends on what kind of deal you can get. If you do some research you can find the Toyota package for around $1k. DO NOT buy a 3rd party warranty.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I always look for their certified cars and trucks. Even if the car/truck has just a few miles, it still comes with a 100k warranty. Bought mine with 15k miles and had the rear axle go out at 98k. All I had to do was pay $50 deductible and the rest was covered under warranty. As far as buying the warranty, about $1,000 give or take.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Depends on what kind of deal you can get. If you do some research you can find the Toyota package for around $1k. DO NOT buy a 3rd party warranty.
Curious as to why you say to not buy a 3rd party warranty? I have a third party warranty, but I did not know at the time that that's what it was. Thought I was buying a toyota extended warranty as I was purchasing through the dealership. Guess the price should have been a warning sign as it was higher than what has been listed in this thread.

I wonder if because my truck was lifted that that's why I was given a third party warranty? The dealer lifted the truck and sold it as a package. They said that because it was lifted, they could not sell it as "Certified Used". However I got a firm handshake from the Sales Manager and Service Manager that they would honor any warranty work to the truck even with the Lift. I understand handshakes aren't what they used to be, it used to be that if you got a handshake from someone that their word was bond. I hope that wasn't being naive and if the time should come that I need warranty work that they'll stick by their word.

·
Registered
5,118 Posts
You have to look at the years too. I may not even have 100K yet in 10 years so it didn't make sense for me if the warranty is a 7 yr/100K. At most I will have 60 or 70K at the 7 year mark, meaning I would be paying 1000 dollars for that two year interim after the standard one lapses. And I would most likely not be using it because I won't put on enough miles for an expensive repair to become likely.

When you strip away all the language, you have to remember you're not really getting a 7 yr 100K warranty for your 1000 bucks. You're only paying for coverage in that gap from the expiration of the standard one to the expiration of the extended one. For the first 5 years the standard one covers you.

Reactions: Rockporter

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
IIRC, I had my warranty extended out to 125k miles on the Platinum Plan. It ran @ $1,600 again, IIRC.
sorry, I have to ask what is IIRC? I checked google it doesn't show up

I checked most T dealers in Southern Cal
5yrs-75k $2129
5yrs-100k $2257

Which dealer you guys buy for less please hook me up?
Thanks,
Phil

·
Registered
354 Posts
Reactions: PhilT

·
Registered
77 Posts
sorry, I have to ask what is IIRC? I checked google it doesn't show up

I checked most T dealers in Southern Cal
5yrs-75k $2129
5yrs-100k $2257

Which dealer you guys buy for less please hook me up?
Thanks,
Phil
Thanks Mauler. With me it is a big IF. Getting older is my excuse.

Phil,

How low you can get them to go will depend on how much room you left them on the total deal. I bought mine when I bought the truck new. I am sure they were a little more than willing to negotiate the price. If you are buying it after the fact I am not sure how flexible they would be.

I know there were some guys getting a deal on a Lexus forum from a dealer in FL. I would suggest a few emails to the internet sales department at dealers out of your market. They are aggressive at pricing and since you are out of market it is an easy sell.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Curious as to why you say to not buy a 3rd party warranty?
The problem with a 3rd party warranty is that you have no idea what you are getting. Some of them are probably OK but others definitely are not.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I feel extended warranty is good for someone that needs it.. IE: Drives alot of miles or its your only daily tranportation, and can't fork out money in a pinch..

For me, I forgo the warranty because its not in my best interest, since I only drive maybe 5000 miles a year.. 7 months now with only 2800+ miles.. The cost would have been for me an extra 1200 dollars...

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
The problem with a 3rd party warranty is that you have no idea what you are getting. Some of them are probably OK but others definitely are not.
How would this be possible? Every warranty I have looked at, transferred or bought is documented on what is covered and what is not. I'm looking from the perspective on the warranty company side. In the event this isn't clearly stated on what is/isn't covered they would be paying out huge amounts for wear items and such.

·
Registered
296 Posts
How would this be possible? Every warranty I have looked at, transferred or bought is documented on what is covered and what is not. I'm looking from the perspective on the warranty company side. In the event this isn't clearly stated on what is/isn't covered they would be paying out huge amounts for wear items and such.
The problem with 3rd party warranties is actually making them pay regardless if they have a well state what is covered contract. Historically speaking, 3rd party warranties are a pig in a poke. Most go bankrupt because it is a cycle of doing everything they can to avoid payment and then being class action sued into bankruptcy.

·
Premium Member
3,044 Posts
I paid $1300 for the 125k platinum warranty about two months ago

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

1 - 20 of 24 Posts