Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:(

First oil change I'm doing myself, watched the video on youtube, went down there, took off the skid, yada yada, pulled the wrong plug and drained my tranny fluid into my oil pan that had my motorcycles recently emptied oil as well.

Soooo, I dont know how much I drained, I drained the entire pan before I noticed the color was wrong. Toyota is closed, so can't pick any up until tomorrow morning. I can't warm up the tranny cause its missing a bunch of fluid, and I dont want to start the truck with it low and set off any alarms.

Can I go buy 4QTs or so and fill the pan back up? I saw the PDF...it makes some sense, Im not sure where the overflow plug is though. Does anyone have a step by step DIY for this? Am I screwed because I can't warm up my fluid? I really can't afford the $400 the dealer wants to change it, but, I guess thats better than a new tranny. Bummer... any ideas, links to info, me love you long time. :(

·
F&@k Y'all, I'm from Texas
13,742 Posts
I want to say it is 8 quarts in the pan and 14 quarts total, but don't quote me on that. You need to use the pink WS oil in the transmission. You should be able to just fill it through the overflow with 8 quarts, then warm it up and go through the level check procedure.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea, total cock up on my part, just wasnt paying attention, had my mind on other chit.

Torx are you sure about 8qt? I just searched and found a thread on DIY tranny change, says theres almost exactly 1 GAL in the pan. Hoping I can go buy 4 quarts of WS ATF tomorrow morning at 7AM from Toyota and fill that pan from the top fill hole. Anyone know if the fill whole is different on the 2WD and 4WD trucks? Ugh. FML.

·
Registered
61 Posts
the fill plug is on the side of the trans.
the overflow is the allen key bolt on the pan.
toyota has a pump to put trans fluid in. not sure how you plan on getting fluid in without it.
there is a very specific temp range the trans needs to be in to set the fluid level properly.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Snake a 3/8" fuel hose through the drivers side, down the firewall and into the fill hole on the side. Funnel up top, voila. Filling is a breeze. I just did a 12qt flush on my system.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts