Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well since it was nice and cool today and I had time on my hands figured I'll do a Mod I had been waiting to do for some time now. I found some metallic gloss material that was a darn close color match maybe a shade off from Blue Streak. I only had to do my rear bumper since I have a limited. Now no more chrome for me, that was the last piece.

Figured this would be cheaper and easier to do myself than paint (done that before on other things) and if I don't like it I just peel it off. :D Lots quicker too as long as you can live with the color match.

The material was pretty easy to use maybe would of been a little easier on a warmer to hot day but a heat gun helped things there. Also the only width they had this stuff in was just at 5' so I had to use 2 pieces and joined in the middle.

On to the pictures since that's what everyone here likes... excuse the dirty truck. :cool:

The color match close up...

Removed plastic caps...

Part way through on left side with cut out for my backup lights and joined in the middle...

Back together with the caps and buttoned up....

·
"Seahawks Hater"
4,147 Posts
I have the same truck. You should of bought the color matcher from amazon. No offense but I would stick with chrome.

·
"The Midnight Modder"
11,213 Posts
Whew. Like I said, tough crowd all weekend. Gonna be hard to tell when truck is driving 80 mph. Great job. I do not see any bubbles or ripples. Like the lights in bumper. Those connected to reverse and parking or On-demand.

·
Premium Member
2,272 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Whew. Like I said, tough crowd all weekend. Gonna be hard to tell when truck is driving 80 mph. Great job. I do not see any bubbles or ripples. Like the lights in bumper. Those connected to reverse and parking or On-demand.
No doubt tough crowd this weekend. I guess I could of gone with any color, I even have some matte black laying around from another project but decided to try something different. I will say that it looks much better in person than in the photo's maybe its lighting maybe its the camera operator :).
Yeah the backup light come on in reverse and I also have a override on them so I can turn them on from a switch when I want from the cargo area, if I need more lighting to unload something in the dark. Also cheap enough to remove if I end up not liking it too. For me it was to cover up that last large piece of chrome on my truck.

There I go thinking it would be nice to share over on this forum too. :rolleyes:

·
"A Man Needs A Maid"
1,277 Posts
Great job.

Reactions: wgreenlee1021

·
Premium Member
13,349 Posts
Not bad...... Like mentioned before going down the road it will be hard to notice. What my eye draws to is the lights you have in the bumper. That's a great idea! How did you do the override?

·
Registered
415 Posts
WTVa .... can you snap some pics from a distance...whole truck view kinda thing. I think it looks pretty good, wonder if the metallic is picking up the light coloring from your driveway??

By the way...have a thread on your backup lights? I dont want to highjack this thread. I REALLY want some backup lights, but realized yesterday there's no where to mount em haha

·
F&@k Y'all, I'm from Texas
13,742 Posts
"Blue Streak color close"

Nice job on the wrap. Color is too off for me.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
PD 'em black!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
I one of them that is not a big PD fan, for some parts yes other things not so much and I prefer to have things more a color scheme. Now the guys with more simple colors I think you can probably find some stuff that matches better. The blue streaks an odd color and it changes slightly when the sun hits it from different angles I think.

Looks good!

Thanks
Sent from AutoGuide.com App
I fixed your thread title.
Thansk my spelling sucks.
Not bad...... Like mentioned before going down the road it will be hard to notice. What my eye draws to is the lights you have in the bumper. That's a great idea! How did you do the override?
WTVa .... can you snap some pics from a distance...whole truck view kinda thing. I think it looks pretty good, wonder if the metallic is picking up the light coloring from your driveway??

By the way...have a thread on your backup lights? I dont want to highjack this thread. I REALLY want some backup lights, but realized yesterday there's no where to mount em haha
I'll snap some more pictures this weekend if I get some other parts I am waiiting to arrive this week for another addon project.

As for the backup lights yeah I did a thread on the other forum a while back but basicly its a SPDT rocker switch with a off position in the middle, its all wired off the trailer wireing so no need to run extra wires any were unless you want the override in the cab. One direction they work with my reverse lights and center is off and other direction is ON as long as trucks on or keys in the acc. position this way less chance of killing the battery.

If your interested check out my post over there and its got some more pictures of my process and if your a big LED fan I am sure you can mount some LED in there, I just happen to have had these layign around and they were free to me.
DIY Added more Backup Lighting Mod

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Nice job, yeah it is off but no more than any silver factory paint job.
Where did you get the wrap and what color is it? paint code
I ordered from amazon but if you rather by direct the company name is Metro Restyling. I also noticed they offer a dark blue one but looks to dark to me but its always hard to tell colors online on a computer screen. now if your into a matte look that doesn't look to bad either.

The colors off a shade but to me its not to bad and easy enough to peel off if you really hate it. As I said over all the color blends pretty good but I will get better pictures this weekend to show a overall look. It is the closest I seen out there so far.

Here is the link form were I got mine and I got 2 feet. "Avery Supreme Wrapping Vinyl Car Wrap Film Gloss Bright Blue Metallic"

Avery Supreme Wrapping Vinyl Car Wrap Film Gloss Bright Blue Metallic 60"x12" : Amazon.com : Automotive

1 - 20 of 40 Posts