Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
after playing a little hard on the logging roads around here wash boards and some decent size pot holes notice the truck was driving a little weird so im crawling around looking for anything and find this yea what is a great design idea

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Not surprising. The stock struts are weak! You are definitely not the first to have this happen. Time to upgrade!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
And that's not even the TRD shock. I don't think any truck are made for crazy off road and jumping pot holes except the raptor. If you want to play rough, get the aftermarket parts that's specifically design for that purpose.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yea just have to take it easy the search is on for a good used strut tell i get money saved up and get some real parts

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
I did consider getting a limited, but this was precisely the reason why I went with TRD rather than limited. I don't go off roading, but the roads are rough with lots of pot holes. 20 inch wheels don't help either.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
yea just have to take it easy the search is on for a good used strut tell i get money saved up and get some real parts
I've got a set of stock shocks with 40k on em. They are just chilling on the side of my house. You will just need to swap over the coils and top plates from yours. Spring compressor is $30 at autozone and only takes maybe 10 min per strut to swap. They are free to you. They aren't pretty and have been sitting for a little while. But like I said free.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
free now that i like as long as go up and down lol ill take them ...ya also im running a 3/2 kit on 295/70/18s

·
Registered
168 Posts
Looks like the guy that jumped his truck...

What "upgrades" would be needed to make the truck tougher off-road?

Are the bilstein 51000 tougher?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
646 Posts
I don't think the Bilsteins are really "tougher" just a leveling strut, not offroad, jumping capable.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
nope no jumping ive had 98 4runner hold up better lol with stock suspension

·
F&@k Y'all, I'm from Texas
13,742 Posts
3/2 leveling kit... did you forget to install the bump stop spacers? Bump stop spacers will prevent the shocks from bottoming out and failing like yours did.
Having the shocks fail is cheaper and easier to replace than something else breaking.

And that's not even the TRD shock. I don't think any truck are made for crazy off road and jumping pot holes except the raptor. If you want to play rough, get the aftermarket parts that's specifically design for that purpose.
Raptor's shocks will be fine. The Raptor frame however will bend.

Reactions: nastyn8

·
Read Only
0 Posts
No truck from the factory is meant for super rough offroading including our TRD's... and that's also including the Raptor and the Toyota Tacoma Baja edition... Watch some vids of people trying to use those too. Don't know why someone would want to spend the money on a nice truck and beat it to death lol. Not saying that's what the OP did btw :)

·
Registered
168 Posts
I expect my truck from the factory to be able to travel down rough gravel roads over and over again at reasonable speeds without any damage. Isn't this what trucks are made for???

I wouldn't expect my truck to be capable of jumping or to withstand excessive off-road abuse (ie. rock crawling, mud bogging, etc.)...

Running a smaller wheel is good for rough roads, more tire to absorb impacts. I run the stock 20" wheels with winter tires in the winter when I don't spend much time on gravel roads. In the summer I switch to 18" wheels with AT tires for when I spend time going camping, etc. on the gravel roads.

Reactions: Mr. Creosote

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
3/2 leveling kit... did you forget to install the bump stop spacers? Bump stop spacers will prevent the shocks from bottoming out and failing like yours did.
Having the shocks fail is cheaper and easier to replace than something else breaking.

Raptor's shocks will be fine. The Raptor frame however will bend.
ehh no never seen them in the kit i got ?

Reactions: Mr. Creosote

·
Registered
357 Posts
I expect my truck from the factory to be able to travel down rough gravel roads over and over again at reasonable speeds without any damage. Isn't this what trucks are made for???

I wouldn't expect my truck to be capable of jumping or to withstand excessive off-road abuse (ie. rock crawling, mud bogging, etc.)...

Running a smaller wheel is good for rough roads, more tire to absorb impacts. I run the stock 20" wheels with winter tires in the winter when I don't spend much time on gravel roads. In the summer I switch to 18" wheels with AT tires for when I spend time going camping, etc. on the gravel roads.
you are setting yourself up for some major disappointment at your idea of reasonable vs. oem reality.

·
Registered
701 Posts
you are setting yourself up for some major disappointment at your idea of reasonable vs. oem reality.
It all depends on the gravel roads he is speaking of and the speed. If its a smooth road graveled with 57's I see no problem at all. If its a logging road graveled with shot rock and 4" rock you can't try to run it @ 40 mph. I've ran lots of coal haul roads and logging roads and never had a problem. But I also realize you cannot fly on that type of road and adjust accordingly.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts