Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The new SR5 Tundras are going to come with the whole Entune/XM/backup cam HU. Basically, everything except Navi. Personally, I like to be able to look down and see the Nav right in front of me without whipping out my Garmin dash mount unit. Who has experience with the Entune Nav or replacing it with an aftermarket HU? I hear aftermarket will get you more features but at what price? If it costs $300 to upgrade to factory Nav would it be worth it to you? I can't imagine any HU with all of those features for less than $800. And that doesn't count the install (which I could do myself, but that would be hours more work on top of the cost).

What would you be willing to pay before just scrapping it and going aftermarket?

·
Premium Member
10,869 Posts
Yeah, for $300 I would upgrade. Even if you don't use the Navi (which I have heard is not the best) it would be nice to have the large touch screen IMO.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Can you get the new truck with just a basic head unit. Then save that money and get the Advent Ototun1. Is a plug and play system....looks great, bluetooth is better, gps/navi is better, sound is better, can play dvds while driving, price around 900-1k.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
I don't think the factory navi upgrade is $300. Unless they've come to their senses and started offering it at a decent price. Last time I was pricing trucks the navi upgrade was something in the $1800+ range.

Instead I kept my truck and just started adding stuff I wanted, $960 will get you an Advent shipped to your door, they are plug n play and look factory!

·
Registered
110 Posts
what is the cost to update the nav for the oem? IIRC MB wants $200 for an update. don't know what Toyota charges.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The SR5 will come with the 7" instead of 6.1" anyway. I rarely use the in-dash nav in my wife's car to point to point nav but I like having the map there in front of me. I was out of town last week and it was great to know the Turnpike was just a mile or two to the west. Also, when stuck in traffic, I sometimes look at it to see which road I can use to cut through to a less congested road that runs parallel to where I am. The actual prices haven't come out yet for what it will cost for that upgrade, just figuring out who has swapped out their HU and trying to get an idea at which price it becomes more cost effective to switch it or just stick with the upgraded original.

·
Premium Member
10,869 Posts
I don't think the factory navi upgrade is $300. Unless they've come to their senses and started offering it at a decent price. Last time I was pricing trucks the navi upgrade was something in the $1800+ range.

Instead I kept my truck and just started adding stuff I wanted, $960 will get you an Advent shipped to your door, they are plug n play and look factory!
That is what I thought as well but if you can get it for $300 I think it's a no-brainer as you could sell it for $300 if you decided to go another route.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Can you get the new truck with just a basic head unit. Then save that money and get the Advent Ototun1. Is a plug and play system....looks great, bluetooth is better, gps/navi is better, sound is better, can play dvds while driving, price around 900-1k.
Unless you do the stereo delete in the SR version, they will all come with a touch screen HU with the backup cam included. There is no option for the regular old plain HU like they had in the 2013. In 2013, the entune/Navi upgrade was $1650 I think. But since all you are adding now is nav, I can't imagine it being anywhere near that. Like I said, waiting for the accessory pricing to come out from Toyota. It has to be soon. Not sure if the dealers have it for ordering purposes but I haven't seen it on the press releases or website yet.

·
Banned
3,314 Posts
After using my iPhone for nav (i use 2-3 different apps depending) i don't think i'd pay for factory nav. Plus, you can't take it with you. Very expensive for a big fugly screen. My boss just got a 2014 Acura MDX with built in nav and holy chit is it ugly. Not very functional either. I'd rather imbed an ipad mini in the dash and use that. Seems car manufacturers just can't get the software to the point of iOS and to some respects andriod as far as user interface and GUI design. I'd rather spend the money on a really nice mount system for my iPhone and be able to use it anywhere.

·
Premium Member
4,295 Posts
After using my iPhone for nav (i use 2-3 different apps depending) i don't think i'd pay for factory nav. Plus, you can't take it with you. Very expensive for a big fugly screen. My boss just got a 2014 Acura MDX with built in nav and holy chit is it ugly. Not very functional either. I'd rather imbed an ipad mini in the dash and use that. Seems car manufacturers just can't get the software to the point of iOS and to some respects andriod as far as user interface and GUI design. I'd rather spend the money on a really nice mount system for my iPhone and be able to use it anywhere.
exactly

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That defeats the purpose of why I said I want it though. I have one car with in dash nav and one without. I also have a Galaxy S3 with Google Maps. My question was factory or aftermarket. I hear you guys though saying in-dash ins't best. I 100% agree with that. But I would spring for new maps every few years for the convenience of being able to look down and see where I am at without killing my phone battery by keeping it running whenever I am in the car.

·
Banned
3,314 Posts
Let's find out the price first, would make it easier to make a judgement call. I

t's also a fact that I'm a cheap ba$tard, and I get my iPhone paid for through my job. So if I had a boss that wasn't an apple freak I wouldn't have either! It would be paper maps for me bro.

·
Premium Member
4,295 Posts
That defeats the purpose of why I said I want it though. I have one car with in dash nav and one without. I also have a Galaxy S3 with Google Maps. My question was factory or aftermarket. I hear you guys though saying in-dash ins't best. I 100% agree with that. But I would spring for new maps every few years for the convenience of being able to look down and see where I am at without killing my phone battery by keeping it running whenever I am in the car.

I have a new pioneer unit and it's a cumbersome antiquated POS. Doesn't like half the addresses I try to put in, can't alter it without it having a fit. not intuitive in the least. I never use it.

Phone apps are far superior. Just trying to save you money. Get a nice mount so you can see it while you drive....and plug it in.

·
"Resident Liberal"
12,237 Posts
Unless you do the stereo delete in the SR version, they will all come with a touch screen HU with the backup cam included. There is no option for the regular old plain HU like they had in the 2013. In 2013, the entune/Navi upgrade was $1650 I think. But since all you are adding now is nav, I can't imagine it being anywhere near that. Like I said, waiting for the accessory pricing to come out from Toyota. It has to be soon. Not sure if the dealers have it for ordering purposes but I haven't seen it on the press releases or website yet.
I could be wrong but I was reading the 2014 packages the other day and the backup camera doesn't come on the work grade truck but the entune is standard.

I think that is what I read.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
^^This is from the aug 8 press release:

Tundra features a number of key standard features, and is the only truck in the full-size pickup segment to include a standard back-up camera (viewed from the audio display screen), and standard Bluetooth® hands-free phone and audio streaming on all grades.

Reactions: OkSlim

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I guess I am the only one that likes to have it on my display all the time. I drive the wife's BMW all the time and we have it there. I drive her mom's X5 now and then and always find myself looking for it. I'm just not a big fan of looking at my tiny phone screen all the time.

*shrug*

Different strokes I guess.

·
Premium Member
4,848 Posts
Phone apps are far superior.
absolutely, and you don't have to pay for the updates.

google nav is light years ahead of OEM NAV.

I use my Iphone and use google nav or the iphone nav and stream the audio over bluetooth while I'm listening to music, when a turn comes up it automatically lowers the music volume and puts the directions over the audio system. When the turn directions are over the music goes back up.

slick

·
Registered
415 Posts
NOPE

Most auto manufacturers don't give you "FREE" upgrades to the maps after 3 years when new roads/redirects are made. My mom's lexus is $450 to upgrade the nav unit with all the new streets and infrastructure.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts