Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From a previous post I had made, I learned that a few people have stuffed a 35 under their bed where the normal spare tire goes. Anyone got pix? Any helpful tips or modifications that need to be made? I know I have to cut the two hook thingys....but anything else? Is it just that simple as cut the hooks and the tire will fit?

Looking to get a cheap 18x9 wheel and put a 35x12.5x18 All-Terrain tire on it and have that as a spare. My current setup is 20x9 with 35" Nitto Trail Grapplers. I was going to go full size spare with matching wheel, but figured it would be cheaper to go the route I'm going and have a functional spare to use in the case of a flat.

Thoughts or concerns? Especially around the thought of using an 18x9 wheel for a spare when I'm running 20x9's?

Thanks guys,

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
I dont think you have to cut the hooks in order to fit a 35" AT tire (which are really 34.5"), but I have never tried it. A 35" spare wont fit on my truck because I have CB shackles which are bigger and look like they might hit the tire if I try.

I have heard plenty of other guys say that a 35" spare will fit no problems.

Take off one of your wheels and do a test fit and that should answer all your questions.

As for running a 18x9 wheel, not a problem. Your only concern is making sure that the outer diameter is close to the same as the other tires. Width shouldn't matter, but you will want to maintain the same backspace.

Dont forget, this is a spare which wont be used that often so dont overthink it.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dont forget, this is a spare which wont be used that often so dont overthink it.
See, I think that's my problem. I think I'm thinking this thing to death. I was first gonna get a matching wheel and same 35" tire and then just throw it in the bed and put a tonneau cover (locking) on and call it a day. That option is just looking too expensive, I didn't want to put a matching wheel under the bed cause I've seen how messed up they get from all the grime and road crap over the years. That's why I thought of using a cheap 18x9 wheel. Now I think I'm just driving myself crazy.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lets dumb it down even more, to my level :D

The factory spare is about 32" diameter. A 35" diameter tire will extend ~1.5" further than your factory spare, all the way around it. Crawl up under your truck and see if there is anything within that 1.5" kill zone that you don't want to cut. Also, you may be able to finagle the tire and move it forward just a bit if you need to, I think, not sure.
Hey, I'm all for dumbing it down. So far you seem to speak my language (referring to my post about the bottle jack and you saying just pull the jack out and see if it works)!!

I'll add that to my to do list of things to check!

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
That option is just looking too expensive, I didn't want to put a matching wheel under the bed cause I've seen how messed up they get from all the grime and road crap over the years.
they wont be that bad if you mount them with the face of the wheel pointed up.

Lets dumb it down even more, to my level :D

The factory spare is about 32" diameter. A 35" diameter tire will extend ~1.5" further than your factory spare, all the way around it. Crawl up under your truck and see if there is anything within that 1.5" kill zone that you don't want to cut. Also, you may be able to finagle the tire and move it forward just a bit if you need to, I think, not sure.
need to pull off a full size wheel and do a test fit homie. Only way to know for sure on anything is a real world test...

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
need to pull off a full size wheel and do a test fit homie. Only way to know for sure on anything is a real world test...

Yup, figured that was in my future. Was just hoping someone here already did it and could chime in. :mechanic:

Reactions: osidepunker

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Check this thread out. Page 3. It looks kinda iffy
Thank you sir! That does look pretty tight....and that's with a pretty bald tire. Hmmmm...Looks like a test fitting is in my future this weekend. :(

·
Registered
181 Posts
I finally managed to get a full size spare myself (35). I had my factory spare tire removed and used that rim. I also tried to use the spot under the bed and it will not fit unless you cut off the two brackets. Hope this helps.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I finally managed to get a full size spare myself (35). I had my factory spare tire removed and used that rim. I also tried to use the spot under the bed and it will not fit unless you cut off the two brackets. Hope this helps.
So you were able to get a 35" tire on the factory 18" wheel/rim? I was under the impression that using the stock wheel/rim and a 35" tire would cause rubbing issues?

I pretty much figured "if" it was going to fit under the bed the two brackets would have to go bye bye.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have 295/70/18 Nitto Trail Grapplers. I picked up a spare 295/70/18 Terra Grappler, which is an A/T tire. I mounted it on my factory spare rim. I cut off the "guides" to give me more space, but the tire does not fit. I have CB +1 shackles in the rear and the tire is hitting those. Even if I did somehow get it past the shackles, my Banks cat-back exhaust would rest right on the tire...probably not good...:D

If you want to get REAL fancy, check out these spare tire carriers:

TireGate.com | The Ultimate Spare Tire Carrier

·
Registered
51 Posts
I want to ask an even dumber question....why do you need a 35" spare? While I agree rolling around on a 32" donut isn't ideal, I think I can suck it up for the 10 minutes it takes to get to a tire shop. Unless you are really live off the grid in the middle of nowhere, or frequently go wheeling deep in the woods I think it's overkill.

·
Registered
112 Posts
...or frequently go wheeling deep in the woods I think it's overkill.
This is my reason. I am often away from civilization for several days at a time. In fact, I carry 2 full-sized spares (and lots of repair plugs, tire goop, air compressor, etc., etc.).

For most, however, anything within 2" (height wise) is good enough.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I want to ask an even dumber question....why do you need a 35" spare? While I agree rolling around on a 32" donut isn't ideal, I think I can suck it up for the 10 minutes it takes to get to a tire shop. Unless you are really live off the grid in the middle of nowhere, or frequently go wheeling deep in the woods I think it's overkill.
Prepare for the worst, pray for the best I guess. Don't want to take the chance of being in a situation where I can't get to a shop and be forced to "limp" around on the 32". More of peace of mind really. Espeically if I'm on one of my snowboarding trips where the whole ride is two lane roads back in the mountains. No tire shop for MILES!

·
Registered
181 Posts
So you were able to get a 35" tire on the factory 18" wheel/rim? I was under the impression that using the stock wheel/rim and a 35" tire would cause rubbing issues?

I pretty much figured "if" it was going to fit under the bed the two brackets would have to go bye bye.
I run the RW wheels and yes then mounted a 35 12.5 r18 to my spare. I measured the wheels and there is only an half an inch difference in back spacing, so there shouldn't be any real issues. If all else fails, put the spare on the back.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I'd run the same size spare as the rest just for precautionary, on our open diff you'd be ok I suppose but an LSD that's a no no unless you feel like buyin a new diff. Change ur oddball spare to the front and keep backs the same size.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I run the RW wheels and yes then mounted a 35 12.5 r18 to my spare. I measured the wheels and there is only an half an inch difference in back spacing, so there shouldn't be any real issues. If all else fails, put the spare on the back.

Ok...if I can fit a 35x12.5x18 tire on the stock steel spare wheel/rim this changes my options as I might not have to buy a fifth wheel, just swap out the tire with a full size.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'd run the same size spare as the rest just for precautionary, on our open diff you'd be ok I suppose but an LSD that's a no no unless you feel like buyin a new diff. Change ur oddball spare to the front and keep backs the same size.
This sounds logical. I swear...the more and more I think about it I should just buy a fifth wheel, throw a full size matching tire, throw it in the bed and call it a day. Just not looking forward to also buying a tonneau cover to keep prying eyes from seeing the spare in the bed.

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
Ok...if I can fit a 35x12.5x18 tire on the stock steel spare wheel/rim this changes my options as I might not have to buy a fifth wheel, just swap out the tire with a full size.
You dont need a 12.5" wide tire as a spare if you are going to use the stock spare wheel. just get like a 295 or something similar that is skinny and cheaper, but the same outer diameter. It will be safer on a thinner rim anyway...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts