Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I couldn't find a topic on this anywhere else on here. So, here goes....bought my 08 dc about a year ago and when I would drive in the rain, the wipers made an obvious an irritating slap noise every time the wipers went from vertical position transitioning back down to the horizontal position (typically after 40 mph and up). Naturally, I figured it was the wipers so, I bought some new Bosch icons. They clean the windshield perfectly but, the slapping noise is still there and driving me nuts! Not to mention its a bit embarrassing. My question is...has anyone else had this issue? Is there an adjustment I can do to tame these things down somewhere? All help is appreciated.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

· Registered
207 Posts

try this, I don't have to use the wipers most of the time.

· Registered
118 Posts
I just bought my first set of wipers since buying the truck a year ago. That being said the original set made no noise. Yesterday when I go new ones, it was raining so I got to try them out ( these were installed at the dealership I got the truck from). After about 10 min of driving the wipers started vibrating on the glass at the vertical position. It was leaving marks and was very loud so I went back to the dealer. I got them to put new ones on, the vibrating or grinding noise is gone but a hard slap is there now and I swear it wasn't there before yesterday. Of course the dealership had no idea either.

· Registered
53 Posts
Make sure you guys have some rain-x or something that reduces the friction.

Obviously you guys know to never clean your windshield w/ windex or other ammonia based chemical. Second, even just simple car washes, the base in the soap is gonna neutralize any chemicals in the wipers that reduce the friction as well.

Like I said, go get some "pure" rain-x (no blends or cleaners) and give it a go.

· Registered
833 Posts
check the positioning of the wiper on the arm and see where it rests. the nut on the arm of the drivers side was loose on my 08' and i had to reposition it, crank it down, and applied thread locker so that bastid wouldn't move again.

· Registered
1,229 Posts
This IS a common problem on Tundras.....

I have replaced my blades 3 times because of this problem and IT is NOT the fix!

Maybe Rain-X is, but new wipers do not fix it.

It is the single most frustrating thing on my Tundra for daily driving. My theory: the new style blades (flexy type) do not lay down firmly enuf to keep from`shuddering`. I even went as far as clay barring my windshield thinking I had a build up of yuk on there causing it to skip and shudder...

NOPE!

I mentioned it on my Toyota new car survey, way back... never heard anything on it after. The service guys know about it, and have no idea what to do for it???

I have frankly just added it to the list of $hyt that this truck does that is annoying. :censored:

· Registered
118 Posts
Anyone tried Rain-X like I suggested?
I have bought some, just gotta put it in the truck. I will say when the dealership put the second set of new ones on that the noise did subside for the most part. Its just so weird that the factory ones were silent as a gay man's fart :lol5:

· Registered
53 Posts
I think the factory wipers come coated...

Also guys, just take a gallon of water or a water hose and spray some on there and then see what happens.

To be honest, if you applied the Rain-X correctly, you won't even need wipers.

· Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Reactions: chode

· Registered
833 Posts
No slap and no I don't use rain x. I am still on my first set and bought a second when I am ready to swap. I am pushing a year on the 1st set and clean the rubber with alcohol here and there to revitalize them.

· Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

· Registered
126 Posts
I have a 2010 and had neoform blades. I use rain-x washer fluid religiously and rarely use my wipers. After a year the blades still worked well but the drivers side was slapping hard enough to aggravate me when going below 35 mph that I bought a new set of Bosch onyx blades. No more slap and they wipe well at high speeds. I also heard you can clean the blades with baking soda, water and a little dish washing detergent to rid the fine layer of contaminants from the blade. This is also supposed to stop the slap.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.