Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Came out to an ice covered truck. Started it, turned on defroster to high, let it warm up (longer than I should have), came out & windshield is cracked from one side to the other. Question is; should I get an OEM Toyota glass or is an aftermarket just as good. Would like to have the shaded top but not a Toyota option. Opinions?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I almost fainted at the price of the Toyota windshield. I think they quoted me $900 and installation was extra. I went with a safetleite windshield and don’t have any complaints. It has the heater which I don’t know how to use.

·
Registered
13,787 Posts
Most Tundra's have the heated windshield. It only heats a small area where the wipers rest, aids in keeping them from freezing up. Works any time the defrost is on.

$900 I think is high. Within a few months of having my 2017, I got a massive rock chip. I was quoted much less than that for factory glass installed. Also a few days ago I searched prices, and found anywhere from $379-799 for front windshield replacement costs for current body Tundra's, since the chip really annoys me, and I am not currently working.

I never did anything, figured I would wait for the chip to run, and it's never started to run.

I will say that a fair amount of aftermarket glass has issues with not being visually clear. Meaning towards the sides it almost creates a stretch or odd imaging. There were a few posts about it. One poster had a huge issue causing headaches, dizziness too. Almost caused a vertigo effect if I recall correctly.

Reactions: Thorbob

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Most Tundra's have the heated windshield. It only heats a small area where the wipers rest, aids in keeping them from freezing up. Works any time the defrost is on.

$900 I think is high. Within a few months of having my 2017, I got a massive rock chip. I was quoted much less than that for factory glass installed. Also a few days ago I searched prices, and found anywhere from $379-799 for front windshield replacement costs for current body Tundra's, since the chip really annoys me, and I am not currently working.

I never did anything, figured I would wait for the chip to run, and it's never started to run.

I will say that a fair amount of aftermarket glass has issues with not being visually clear. Meaning towards the sides it almost creates a stretch or odd imaging. There were a few posts about it. One poster had a huge issue causing headaches, dizziness too. Almost caused a vertigo effect if I recall correctly.
Got what I think is the most reliable response from my selling dealer, Pauly Toyota in Crystal Lake, Il. ( not the closest but the best imo ). OEM windshield is a little pricey due to the heated elements & quality. Going with it even if it costs me a few extra bucks. Your comment on distorted glass/vision problems is spot on. As a veteran of the car business, I can recall the nightmares Mercedes went through with some of their models with windshields. OEM glass for me. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
13,787 Posts
Got what I think is the most reliable response from my selling dealer, Pauly Toyota in Crystal Lake, Il. ( not the closest but the best imo ). OEM windshield is a little pricey due to the heated elements & quality. Going with it even if it costs me a few extra bucks. Your comment on distorted glass/vision problems is spot on. As a veteran of the car business, I can recall the nightmares Mercedes went through with some of their models with windshields. OEM glass for me. Thanks for your input.
You're welcome man. It is never a bad decision to stay oem. I wasn't saying to go aftermarket by any means, if that's what my post may have implied, I was just meaning pricing was high, but different areas dictate different prices.

Yeah, a lot of the aftermarket companies have quality control issues. The one posted in that thread had pics of several windshields showing the distortion.

I only see out of one eye, so for me windshield issues are very noticeable. My FJ when brand new had issues with the glass, I had to fight to get them to cover it, even had to take videos and pics at night to show what I actually saw, as during the day when dry and bright they couldn't see the distortion. But when a headlight turns to a 5" wide blur, at night, worse when raining, it just didn't cut it.
My glass dealer said they would only use OEM. Dealerships aren't a bad choice for glass, they typically sub it out, but then hit it with their charge on top. That's what two dealerships by me were trying to do anyways. Plus, they were basing it on insurance, vs out of pocket I guess in my case.

Eventually my chip may run, but still hasn't. Toyota glass is typically great in that aspect, at least for me. I would prefer to at least get the chip filled, but no one will do it, as they say it's too big, and will start to spider, but it hasn't yet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts