Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replace windshields for my dealership. The newer Tundra's have heated and non heated options. Besides the wires that plug in for the heated windshield there is no difference. I see that both heated and non heated have the plugin for the heater option below the cowling. If you replce the heated windshield with a non heated one, is there any problems that will occur? Also, can you put a heated windshield into a vehicle that came without it since the the plugin is there and appears fully functional.

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
Replacing a heated with a non-heated should be fine. Going the other way will only work if all the rest of the parts are there. If the truck has heated mirrors it will probably work. If not there is no chance!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
replaced mine with a non heated w/shield and no problems,dont know about going the other way.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I always wondered if the defrost was the actual electrical that made the system work. I assumed you needed to turn the defrost on to turn on the heated part of the windshield. Nice to know there are no issues using the non heated. I never put a non heated in a previously heated windshield before, fearing some curcuit would now be incomplete. I guess it could be checked with a voltage meter to be sure.

·
F&@k Y'all, I'm from Texas
13,741 Posts
My understanding is you can put the heated windshield in a previously non-heated truck and it will work. Same with the mirrors if the wiring is there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
The heated windshields have a heated grid below the wipers. If you look close you can see the pattern on there. Its black just like the bottom of the glass, but still noticable if you know what to look for. The dealer can decode the vin also.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2012 Tundra that does not currently have a heated windshield - it does have heated side mirrors though.
Can you all please confirm what is written above? My truck should have the harness and I can order and have a
heated windshield installed to replace my current, non-heated type?
Thanks - hoping for a heated shield!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts