Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know of a way to etch away the factory tint on the Tundra windows? I'd like to get the glass back to clear and re-tint all the side windows to match and go with a lighter tint.

· Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If it's a coating on the glass I'm hoping it's possible by etching or chemical process, but if the glass is dyed then I wouldn't think it would be possible. Why doesn't anyone make clear replacement glass for the Tundra? Is it expensive to get glass automotive glass custom made, even if I provide the existing glass as a template?

· Registered
14,311 Posts
Pretty sure it's tinted throughout, dyed glass basically...

I have read threads where people find non tinted glass in order to do mirrored show tint... Not threads here, gm boards.

· Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm searching around now to see if there are any custom glass shops in my area. Found one and sent them an email. Wonder how much it will be. If they specialize in this sort of thing, I can't imagine it would be much, especially considering they would have the existing windows to use as templates. I really have no clue though.

· Registered
421 Posts
Anything with the word "specialty" in it sounds expensive :lol5:

I would think when you order Tundra glass through a shop there are two options... I dont think the work trucks have tinted glass!

Reactions: Powertechn2

· Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I dont think the work trucks have tinted glass!
Not following you. Are you saying there should be an option for tinted and non-tinted glass? Do I have to go through the dealer for this or could I buy directly from the glass manufacturer (whoever that is). You would think the dealer could order two windows and tell the factory not to add dye.

· Registered
421 Posts
Thats what I would think. I had to buy new glass due to vandalism a while back and had to choose between tinted vs. clear. I went through a local shop. This was for a different vehicle, but I would imagine it would be the same idea.

· Registered
14,311 Posts
IF you were to source new glass to replace what you currently have I would try salvage yards first, they would likely be the cheapest.

ESPECIALLY if you are talking an 04... 06's are 7 years old, not likely to find new glass from dealer, you can also call glass shops, they can source and will source aftermarket glass.

However, I must ask...

Exactly how imperative is it that the tint matches 100%?

Most tint shops can get within 90% match. Yota is one of the few that have a slightly different hue, but still no one will notice a difference unless they stand there and compare... Just saying.

· Registered
322 Posts
I'd go make a trip to some salvage yards, being a '04 I'd be surprised if all the Tundras had tinted glass. I'm guessing your find that there will be 2 tints out there 1. the std light almost non-existant, and 2. what was probably a privacy tint option.

· Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Exactly how imperative is it that the tint matches 100%?
It's not just the match, it is too dark (20% I think). I want to redo all the side windows in 50% or 35%. I'll call around and see if anyone can get their hands on some clear aftermarket glass.

Yes, I know I spelled tint incorrectly.

· Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Acetone isn't strong enough to do anything. I really think it is dyed glass and there is no way to remove it. Haven't heard back from the dealer. Guess they couldn't find clear glass either.

· Registered
3,278 Posts
I wish I could get tinted glass for the front to match - that way when the cops pull me over there is no way to remove it LOL
They are cracking down on it here because of the stupid cell phone law - which is now worse because everyone still uses their phone but instead of holding it up they hold it down in there lap. And look away from the road more now than before.

· Premium Member
2,270 Posts
Acetone isn't strong enough to do anything. I really think it is dyed glass and there is no way to remove it. Haven't heard back from the dealer. Guess they couldn't find clear glass either.
I dunno. I have a little scratch on the outside my back window and there's clearly a difference between the scratched and unscratched window. it looks clear under the scratch.

· Premium Member
2,951 Posts
I dunno. I have a little scratch on the outside my back window and there's clearly a difference between the scratched and unscratched window. it looks clear under the scratch.
I think that is just because the light hits it differently, unless it is a really deep scratch?

I would guess there is not much chance of finding clear glass unless it was an option originally on the truck. Making a custom window would probably be expensive. They have a certain amount of curvature which seems like it would be difficult to get right.

· Premium Member
2,270 Posts
I think that is just because the light hits it differently, unless it is a really deep scratch?

I would guess there is not much chance of finding clear glass unless it was an option originally on the truck. Making a custom window would probably be expensive. They have a certain amount of curvature which seems like it would be difficult to get right.
I can feel it with my fingernail, it's deep enough.

· Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have VIN numbers etched in my glass and they are clear.:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.