Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Premium Member
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've done some searching both on the forum and on google... can't find much besides one show truck. Has anyone found a way to successfully mount a winch behind the OEM bumper? I'd like to run a winch... but not interested in an aftermarket bumper. Thoughts? Possible?

·
Registered
123 Posts
I've looked into it and not seen any 2nd Gen Tundra's with a winch mounted behind stock bumper. I just don't think it can be done.

There is however a nice new winch mounting system from Westin I believe. Rather than the traditional brush guard mount it's a tray design with optional bull bar. It looks like a slick setup that is un-obtrusive and you can still run your stock bumper.

Reactions: Brian

·
Registered
125 Posts
Warn makes a hidden winch that mounts to the frames of all truck manufactureres but Toyota. There is also undercover hidden hitches that Meeks them for other Toyotas. You might want to give them a call to se how hard it would be to retrofit one of them to a tundra. Might not be to hard at all. Here's a link.........

Warn Industries - Mounting Systems: WARN Hidden Kit

http://undercoverhwms.com/wp/

·
Premium Member
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the links, I'll check them out and see what I can do. I'm pretty determined to make this happen. My friend is a fabricator that use to work for an off-road shop and did one on a 2nd gen Tundra just like I want ... but I can't get a hold of him these days so I've got to start from scratch.

·
Registered
6,445 Posts
Another option is to get a front receiver and a winch mount. That way you can store it out of the weather and use it front or back. I need a front receiver anyways so I will be doing this myself.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Another option is to get a front receiver and a winch mount. That way you can store it out of the weather and use it front or back. I need a front receiver anyways so I will be doing this myself.
The only downside to a front receiver is getting the skid plate off when changing the oil. I've removed my front skid plate, and plan to modify it. I have a front receiver, brush guard, and the tow hooks. So its time consuming to remove and reinstall all these every 5,000 miles just to get the skid plate off.
I plan to cut the front portion off (the bit covered by the front receiver) and weld a plate to it, that will bolt to the front receiver. I'm going to drill and tap the front receiver so the slid plate has somewhere to bolt to.

I dont have a vehicle lift, so its a PITA to plan this out easily.
I just need to find the time to start on this mod :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,445 Posts
I don't have any of those things so it should not be a problem for me. I would think with a front receiver, you would not need tow hooks.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I emailed Undercover and they have no desire to do a Tundra. Nothing yet from Warn.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Yes that's one source and if you check Ebay you find this is the same seller there. This is just the tray you will need the light/push bar if you want that too.
I will warn you most of these places only are resellers and Westin ships for them from their warehouse so check stock even if they show they have some available. I got my parts from both sources.

·
Premium Member
2,361 Posts
this may be my next purchase, I want a winch but I don't like winch bumpers and I was almost thinking of doing the hitch mount holder but why the hell would I want to pull myself out backwards if I get stuck, I wanna keep on truckin forward lol.

·
Premium Member
2,361 Posts
can you snap a pic from the side I'm curious how far it sticks out from the front.

·
Registered
174 Posts
this may be my next purchase, I want a winch but I don't like winch bumpers and I was almost thinking of doing the hitch mount holder but why the hell would I want to pull myself out backwards if I get stuck, I wanna keep on truckin forward lol.
Yeah I also considered that too but didn't like how low the winch would sit, then I found this setup and its fairly cheap compared to a whole bumper replacement.

can you snap a pic from the side I'm curious how far it sticks out from the front.
Here is a few that should give you a idea..

·
Premium Member
2,361 Posts
Ooooo nice, I like that the bar protects the winch by sticking out forward. Hmmmm I may have my current bullbar up for sale real soon lol.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts