Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '07 CM 4x4 with an LRO 3/1 kit. I'm looking to get some Trail Grapplers in 295 70/18 with +35 offset wheels. This seems to be a pretty common setup so I know I will need to do the front fender mod. I just can't find any info on if I will need to remove the back front mudflap and chop the body mount or is the front fender mod the only thing required to fit this setup on the truck?

Those of you that have this setup, can you tell me what it took to get them in there without rubbing? Pics are always awesome to look at to.

Thanks

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well the wheels I wanted to get are on back order for several months. I found another one I like but it is only a +20 offset. Do you think it would still miss the body mount with that offset and tire size or should I keep looking for another wheel in the +30 to +35 range?

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
You will still be fine, you will loose the mud flap but not hit the body mount

Reactions: NJMonster

·
Registered
577 Posts
I have +14 with that same size tire and am CLOSE. Less than 0.25" to the body mount but didn't have to chop it. Anything with a more positive offset will be fine. +18, +20, ect.

EDIT: assuming your wheels are 9" wide... that's kind of a key piece of information.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess with that tire size I could just use the stock TRD wheels and save some $, but you can't buy new tires without getting new wheels. ;)

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Well since the wheels I wanted are on back order I've decided on +30 XD Hoss in 18x9 with 295 70/18 Grapplers. Sounds like I should be fine.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My tires came in so off to Americas Tire to get them installed. They did one just for a test fit, and guess what. They hit my body mount. Albeit just barely. A +35 or +40 wheel would clear, but my new XD Hoss +30's are just cutting it too close.

I want the biggest I can go without cutting my body mount. It's funny how every truck is just a little different even though they use the same parts. I know different alignments change things to. Now I'm looking for a tire about one size smaller. Since I'm going a little smaller diameter I can probably go a little wider than 295. Guess I'll see what's out there.

·
Registered
577 Posts
My tires came in so off to Americas Tire to get them installed. They did one just for a test fit, and guess what. They hit my body mount. Albeit just barely. A +35 or +40 wheel would clear, but my new XD Hoss +30's are just cutting it too close.

I want the biggest I can go without cutting my body mount. It's funny how every truck is just a little different even though they use the same parts. I know different alignments change things to. Now I'm looking for a tire about one size smaller. Since I'm going a little smaller diameter I can probably go a little wider than 295. Guess I'll see what's out there.
That doesn't make sense.. My +14 18x9 would put me closer to the body mount than you. And I don't rub... Are you sure it's not hitting the skid plate? Are you sure those are the specs of ur wheels?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Yup. I suppose the could have sent +18's accidentally instead of +30's. I'll call them in the morning and have them double check that. The first time we turned the wheel out it hit the back flap really bad, so I took it off real quick and it touched the BM. Funny thing is that it barely touched the little front flap. I had over 1" space to the skid plate turning the wheel in. No problem there at all. It's like my wheels are farther back than others. It seems to drive straight with no bad tire wear so I know my alignment is good. They just got better on some and not others I guess.

·
Registered
172 Posts
The tires themselves could also be the reason why the fitment dimensions are different. The 295/70R18 Trail Grapplers are 34.6" x 11.8" and the less aggressive Terra Grapplers are 34.4" x 11.7".

·
Registered
577 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Did you check the fitment with the truck on the ground or in the air? A +30 295/70 clears on every truck I have seen so far?

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Yup. I suppose the could have sent +18's accidentally instead of +30's. I'll call them in the morning and have them double check that. The first time we turned the wheel out it hit the back flap really bad, so I took it off real quick and it touched the BM. Funny thing is that it barely touched the little front flap. I had over 1" space to the skid plate turning the wheel in. No problem there at all. It's like my wheels are farther back than others. It seems to drive straight with no bad tire wear so I know my alignment is good. They just got better on some and not others I guess.
Based on that I would guess you have 0-1 degree of caster in your alignment specs

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Based on that I would guess you have 0-1 degree of caster in your alignment specs
Your probably right. The guy that did my alignment put as much in as he could get. He said sometimes its hard to get any on leveled tundras and that they're all a little different. He got it to go straight though.

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
This doesn't make sense to me. One or more items might be off from the stated specs.

Offset might be an obvious source of problem like some mentioned.

Is your suspension sagging at all? In other words, are you sure you are getting the full 3/1 lift?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Called and had him check about the +30 and they are the right ones. I'm actually getting about 3 1/4" front lift with LRO spacers. It must be the caster. I was there when he did my alignment and could hardly get any in to it. I may just go with the 295 65/18 Duratracs or 305 65/18 BFG A/T so I don't have to fiddle with it too much. Both are about a 1" or more smaller so they shouldn't be a problem.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts