Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Today I stopped by a Toyota dealership to check out a 2018 Tundra 1794. I mentioned to the sales associate that I was going to install a 2-3" lift and put on slightly larger tires. She said to me that you want to be careful with that. With the new Tundra's, a lift kit and larger tires will interfere with the pre-collision system. Good chance it will void parts of the warranty.

Honestly, I thought this sounded like a bunch of crap, but maybe I'm wrong. Is there any truth to this?

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Within the last two months a TT member brought this up and more or less confirmed what you're concerned about. At least the technical aspect. Not sure that that thread addressed the Toyota warranty implications. But I distinctly recall the thread cuz it was one more crazy "new technology" thing that was gonna produce a HUGE Law Of Unintended Consequences. I'm old school and think that we Alpha Male Humans should drive our trucks. NOT the other way around. Sheesh.

Be careful with 2018's folks.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I put a 3 inch level on mine and the TSS works fine. I love technology, however if I need the TSS in order to stop or slow down then I probably shouldn’t be driving at all. Buy it, level/lift it and love it!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've got a 4" lift on mine and everything is working as original.

That said, I would make sure it's something you discuss with any shop you choose to do the work in advance.

Here are a couple before and after pics

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the responses...

Funny, because they had a lifted Tundra on their lot (but maybe it didn't have the safety feature). Pics below.

I just wanted to do a 2.5-3" leveling kit, which I'd do on my own....

Attachments

·
Registered
106 Posts
I've got a 4" lift on mine and everything is working as original.

That said, I would make sure it's something you discuss with any shop you choose to do the work in advance.

Here are a couple before and after pics

How in the world did you get that 4-wheeler on top of your bed cover?

Also, the local Toyota dealer here sells 2018's with a dealer installed moderate lifts on their lot. If I had to guess it is probably a 3" lift and 33" tires.

·
Registered
16 Posts
How in the world did you get that 4-wheeler on top of your bed cover?

Also, the local Toyota dealer here sells 2018's with a dealer installed moderate lifts on their lot. If I had to guess it is probably a 3" lift and 33" tires.
YouTube search "diamondback hd 360" and you will see.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I think that's crap if trucks start being made like that.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Thanks for the responses...

Funny, because they had a lifted Tundra on their lot (but maybe it didn't have the safety feature). Pics below.

I just wanted to do a 2.5-3" leveling kit, which I'd do on my own....
So the lift and larger tires could interfere with the pre-collision system, but it won't when they install it on a Tundra themselves?.... :dunno:

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have 295/60/20 on mine with a 3/1 pro comp Nitto. Dealer showed me the letter regarding not recalibrating TSS with vehicles with lifts.
However ...
1. it’s s dealer to dealer thing. Call around.
2. Pre collision works just fine. I can understand that it may be off a bit but per my understanding it should be more conservative. I’ve played with it sufficiently except for the pedestrian pre collision warning. All works as before.
3. Toyota’s TSS is not yet where it needs to be in comparison with Toyota or the German cars (having owned all in my family). I wouldn’t rely on it - as you should not in the first place.

Now - interestingly enough safelite has the equipment to recalibrate as they have to do it when they replace the windshield.

Good Luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
92 Posts
If you are really worried about the warranty, buy a truck that is lifted by the dealer. Will be more expensive than doing it yourself but at least everything will be covered under warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Man.. hadnt thought of the safelite thing.. guess they would HAVE to know how to recalibrate.. i was concerned about new wheels and tires throwing it off, but it makes total sense that someone would have to figure out how to re calibrate.. thanks for your post!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi,

Today I stopped by a Toyota dealership to check out a 2018 Tundra 1794. I mentioned to the sales associate that I was going to install a 2-3" lift and put on slightly larger tires. She said to me that you want to be careful with that. With the new Tundra's, a lift kit and larger tires will interfere with the pre-collision system. Good chance it will void parts of the warranty.

Honestly, I thought this sounded like a bunch of crap, but maybe I'm wrong. Is there any truth to this?

I have a 2018 Platinum with dealership installed 6" lift and 35" tires. Everything works perfectly. Both the pre collision system and the adaptive cruise. When my front radar unit failed this week and I took it in to be repaired I was told that there was a recent change in policy by Toyota. They made me sign a waiver and told me they were going to set the computer to default the pre collision system to off. They said I would have to turn it on every time I start the truck if I want to use it. I was fortunate enough to find a tech that turned it back to default on. They also put a sticker on the steering column that warned about not using the cruise control in adaptive mode. It peeled right off... All is well. Sounds like some of Toyota's attorneys got involved.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi,

Wilsonville Toyota in Wilsonville Oregon installs the lifts and larger tires, I'd hate to think a dealer installed option would void the warranty.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 20’ limited I just bought last week and love it. I have a 7” lift with 37” tires. Nothing giving me issues. The dealership mentioned the same thing with mine as I asked about doing the toyota grill swap. There’s ways to do it. YouTube is your friend.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.