Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it's mainly personal opinion but wanted everyone’s thought on this.

I'm going to get a LRO 3/1 Leveling Kit and Nitto Trail Grappler LT305/55/20 tires (33" tires).

I'm debating on whether to keep my stock Texas Edition 20x9 50mm offset wheels (See my Signature for picture of wheels) or go with a set of Fuel Hostage 20x9 25mm offset wheels. (Should stick out 1" further than stock)

The only difference between the two wheels other then design and color is the offset.

I'm afraid that with a 50mm offset the tires will still be tucked in too much and won't have that [email protected] A$$ look like the 25mm wheels will. But I could be wrong.

I found someone with a black crewmax with the same Texas Edition wheels running a 3/1 leveling kit and bigger tires but can't really tell from the picture the difference between that and stock plus he wasn't running 305/55/20 tires so it not a true comparison.

So i'm either going to keep my stock wheels or sell them and get the Fuel Hostage wheels.

Thanks for your time :)

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
This really depends on your taste. What do you consider as "aggressive enough"? If you have the tires/wheels out too far, you will begin to damage the side of your truck.

I think you should look fine with stock wheels (I like your wheels) if you are not planning to get fender flares. I got lower offset wheels because I wanted pocket style fender flares.

·
Registered
216 Posts
There's a good chance you have "some" level of disappointment with stock 50mm. Aftermarket rims with 18mm was best decision I made! It gave me exactly what I wanted.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I'm not the tire guru, but why not go with the LT295/60R20 (34's) instead? I bet they would fit with little to no trimming. I got the LT285/75R17 (also 34's) and they fit great - no dramatic drop in mpg either. IMO - Trails are the way to go bro - good choice.

·
Premium Member
10,869 Posts
Like MotoPilot said, I think a larger tire is going to look much better but honestly, what I think is that the combination may not really end up looking aggressive. The Trail Grappler is the baddest, most aggressive tire out there IMO so that is an excellent choice, but those factory wheels are too pretty, they are sort of anti-aggressive looking. Not saying it will look bad, far from it, Trail Graps look good on everything...just saying that the wheel fits more with an AT tire IMO.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Not sure if it was me, but I did have a leveled black CM with those TX edition wheels. In the first pics I was running 275-65-20's (34in) with those wheels. They didn't stick out from the fenders at all. I would say the tread was just inside/tucked under the lip of the fenders. A 305-55-20 would definitely stick out a little more given the added width. FWIW, I think the height and width of the 305-55-20 is plenty aggressive. I don't think you need to go any bigger on the tire size unless you simply want a bigger tire.

I upgraded to 20x9 +30 wheels in the third and fourth pics but kept the same 275-65-20 tires. Although the tires look a little skinny, I really like the look because wheels and tires sticking out real far just isn't my cup of tea. I like the subtle look that's just a hair different than stock. But that's just me. I can tell you that 305's on a +30 stick out enough to look perfectly flush with OEM flares or just sticking out an inch or so if you're not running flares. More negative than +30 and it will just stick out more.

Hope this helps a little.

Attachments

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not the tire guru, but why not go with the LT295/60R20 (34's) instead? I bet they would fit with little to no trimming. I got the LT285/75R17 (also 34's) and they fit great - no dramatic drop in mpg either. IMO - Trails are the way to go bro - good choice.
I like the sound of a 34" vs. 33" tire but I don't want "Skinny" tires. I want around 12" - 12.5" wide tires. I didn't check to see how wide 295/60/20 are.

I'm definitely getting Nitto Trails even though I don't need them but most everyone that had Nitto Terra ended up trying Nitto Trails next time around, so I figured I skip the Terra and go straight with the Trails ;)

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not sure if it was me, but I did have a leveled black CM with those TX editionwheels wheels. In the first pics I was running 275-65-20's (34in) with those wheels. They didn't stick out from the fenders at all. I would say the tread was just inside/tucked under the lip of the fenders. A 305-55-20 would definitely stick out a little more given the added width. FWIW, I think the height and width of the 305-55-20 is plenty aggressive. I don't think you need to go any bigger on the tire size unless you simply want a bigger tire.

I upgraded to 20x9 +30 wheels in the third and fourth pics but kept the same 275-65-20 tires. Although the tires look a little skinny, I really like the look because wheels and tires sticking out real far just isn't my cup of tea. I like the subtle look that's just a hair different than stock. But that's just me. I can tell you that 305's on a +30 stick out enough to look perfectly flush with OEM flares or just sticking out an inch or so if you're not running flares. More negative than +30 and it will just stick out more.

Hope this helps a little.
Yeah, that was your truck that I was referring too. Nice Truck :)

If LT305/55/20 only stick out a little bit more on a 50mm wheels, I might have to look at 25mm or 30mm wheel.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Like MotoPilot said, I think a larger tire is going to look much better but honestly, what I think is that the combination may not really end up looking aggressive. The Trail Grappler is the baddest, most aggressive tire out there IMO so that is an excellent choice, but those factory wheels are too pretty, they are sort of anti-aggressive looking. Not saying it will look bad, far from it, Trail Graps look good on everything...just saying that the wheel fits more with an AT tire IMO.
I think your right, these Texas Edition wheels might look to pretty for my taste. Maybe that's why my wife likes them.

I think the Black Fuel Hostage 20x9 25mm offset wheels will look a lot meaner!!

I'm trying to see anything else in black will look better, I like the Fuel Hostage but not 100% committed yet. It's hard to just by just pictures. I would love to see a set in person.

·
Premium Member
10,869 Posts
On a 50mm offset a 305/55/20 tire will only stick out about 1/4" maybe a hair more. My tires are less than 1/2" more narrow than that tire and my offset pushes them out over an inch more than your wheels and my tires only stick out about 1"

·
Premium Member
10,869 Posts
I think your right, these Texas Edition wheels might look to pretty for my taste. Maybe that's why my wife likes them.

I'm trying to see anything else in black will look better, I like the Fuel Hostage but not 100% committed yet. It's hard to just by just pictures. I would love to see a set in person.
I think my wheels would look good on your truck if you are looking for black wheels, I think they also come in +18 (mine are +35)

[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
27 Posts
I like black wheels, but your wheels are awesome OEM wheels. Why not get the best of both worlds and powder coat those black? You'll have the same durable finish as any aftermarket black wheel and have a wheel that nobody else has. Find a 295 or 305 tire that you like and it'll look plenty aggressive with a nice stance.

·
Registered
8,147 Posts

Come on, your wife liking the wheel does not make the wheel pretty.

I like both chrome wheels and black wheels. I fluctuated back and forth between the two before settling on mine. When I was looking at chrome wheels, your wheel always came out as one of the best-looking for me. If you like black wheels, why don't you dip your wheels. That way you could change your mind without much risk.

Reactions: Roadwarrior

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Question - I have a '12 black CM with the 3/1 Readylift. What tire size could I go to that would have a more aggressive look, without cutting anything? The stock tires are good highway tires but look like they are low profile. They also suck in the snow (and I imagine off road). I would also like a more aggressive stance - aka: tires pop out a tiny bit.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Come on, your wife liking the wheel does not make the wheel pretty.

I like both chrome wheels and black wheels. I fluctuated back and forth between the two before settling on mine. When I was looking at chrome wheels, your wheel always came out as one of the best-looking for me. If you like black wheels, why don't you dip your wheels. That way you could change your mind without much risk.[/QUOTE

Haha, thanks for the info,

I actually do like my wheels, I'm just afraid that being a 50mm offset wheel, it won't look aggressive enough with a LRO 3/1 Leveling kit and Nitto Trail Grappler LT305/55/20 tires.

That's why I'm considering the Fuel Hostage 20x9 25mm offset wheels.

If 50mm offset will still look fine then I'll keep it, even the guy with the same wheels as mine ended up getting 30mm wheels instead.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
you can always run a wheel spacer??
Very true, but from all that I've read, most people say don't do it, don't use spacers, better off getting wheels with the correct offset.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Question - I have a '12 black CM with the 3/1 Readylift. What tire size could I go to that would have a more aggressive look, without cutting anything? The stock tires are good highway tires but look like they are low profile. They also suck in the snow (and I imagine off road). I would also like a more aggressive stance - aka: tires pop out a tiny bit.
As you can tell from this discussion it depends on a number of factors. If you're looking at keeping the stock wheels you can run up to about a 34in tire. I run a 275-65-20 which is 34in but is a little on the thinner side. With the stock wheels they didn't really really stick out at all from the fenders. I think a 295 or 305 tire probably would stick out a little with stock wheels. If you get different wheels than the offset of those wheels will have a lot to do with how much they stick out.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts