Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
2020 Tundra TRD Pro Crewmax
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2020 TRD Pro CrewMax here, with the factory Fox 2” and a ReadyLift +4.

Currently running Toyo Open Country A/T III, 285/75R18, with stock BBS TRD Pro rims (PT9603420002). These rims have a +60 offset, so I have 2” SpiderTrax spacers to push the tires to the edge of the wheel wells. I’d prefer to go back to native mount.

My goal is to get to a 12.5 tire width, thinking BFGs. I know that will likely require new rims at 0 offset. My truck is Midnight Black Metallic, so I’d prefer a high quality black satin sort of rim. We take frequent trips to the Outer Banks of NC, and and wider tires areadvantageous on the sand. I’d also like to have a more aggressive-looking stance.

Would appreciate any thoughts on whether the wider tire would cause issues, and advice concerning the best way to accomplish the goal here.

Thanks much!
Vic

· Registered
359 Posts
Sure enough Vic, clean Rig. Congrats...
Don't know if it helps, my rig has 18x9 Visions wheels, +25 offset, Falkens Wildpeaks AT3, 295/70/18s with no rubbing, removed small front flap... Toytec 2.0 Aluma Coilovers complete lift kit./JBA's UCA.. I'm sure I can go wider without issues, but stance looks perfect and ride is better than stock.. Good luck
Tire Wheel Car Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle

Reactions: Dewdus

· Registered
802 Posts
From the pictures it appears you have a lift on your PRO, as the largest diameter of the tire is above the bottom of the front bumper and the same in the rear of the front tire near the door. The further you push the wheel tire combo away from center the more likely you will have a rubbing issue in the above mentioned locations. I created the below listed link and the newer trucks have a similar set up but not exactly although the theory is the same.

For sand you will want to go with the largest side wall you can get so when airing down you get the largest foot print. 17 in. wheels fit on the Tundras as the original TRD wheels were forged 17s .

Reactions: Thinlizzyfan

· Registered
14,312 Posts
0 offset will likely cause more issues, I would look for a +25-30mm offset. Factory wheels have a higher offset, +55-60, with the negative offset of 0, you would likely rub even without a 12.5" wide tire. I run 33x12.50's on a +30 mm with light rubbing on 2.5" lift with uca swap.

Reactions: Thinlizzyfan

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
From the pictures it appears you have a lift on your PRO, as the largest diameter of the tire is above the bottom of the front bumper and the same in the rear of the front tire near the door. The further you push the wheel tire combo away from center the more likely you will have a rubbing issue in the above mentioned locations. I created the below listed link and the newer trucks have a similar set up but not exactly although the theory is the same.

For sand you will want to go with the largest side wall you can get so when airing down you get the largest foot print. 17 in. wheels fit on the Tundras as the original TRD wheels were forged 17s .
You are correct. The 2020 TRD Pro came with a Fox suspension that raised the truck by 2 inches, and I added a ReadyLift +4 to that. Does this make a difference with regard to what you're saying about rubbing issues?

Gonna take a look at that list you provided. Much appreciated!

Thanks man!
Vic

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
0 offset will likely cause more issues, I would look for a +25-30mm offset. Factory wheels have a higher offset, +55-60, with the negative offset of 0, you would likely rub even without a 12.5" wide tire. I run 33x12.50's on a +30 mm with light rubbing on 2.5" lift with uca swap.
Interesting, I didn't realize that until today. I makes sense that some positive offset would reduce the overall stress on the mount.

· Registered
802 Posts
You are correct. The 2020 TRD Pro came with a Fox suspension that raised the truck by 2 inches, and I added a ReadyLift +4 to that. Does this make a difference with regard to what you're saying about rubbing issues?

Gonna take a look at that list you provided. Much appreciated!

Thanks man!
Vic
Yes it will make a difference. The longest diameter measurement straight across the center of the hub, tire edge to tire edge is now above the narrowest part of the wheel well opening. This will give you a little more wiggle room. As PowerTechin2 said you want about a 30-38 offset and it just might work. I had a hard time finding any wheel I would buy with that offset 10 years ago, so good luck.

Also all tires with the same sizing listed on the sides are not the same size. One brand of 35-12.50 may be exactly that and another brand may measure out to a 34.5- 11.50. So when tolerances are tight you want to do lots of research and buy once. I can not get snip it to work, so such as a 315-70-17 BFG KO2 was developed for the Raptor and has a lighter load rating for a 1/2 ton. Look down this list attached and find the tire size I list as a Ford specific tire. There are others in the same size but the Ford spec tire is the one with the proper load rating.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=All-Terrain+T/A+KO2
Good luck

Reactions: Powertechn2

· Registered
2012 Tundra CM LP 4X4 4" lift on 35s.
8 Posts
2020 TRD Pro CrewMax here, with the factory Fox 2” and a ReadyLift +4.

Currently running Toyo Open Country A/T III, 285/75R18, with stock BBS TRD Pro rims (PT9603420002). These rims have a +60 offset, so I have 2” SpiderTrax spacers to push the tires to the edge of the wheel wells. I’d prefer to go back to native mount.

My goal is to get to a 12.5 tire width, thinking BFGs. I know that will likely require new rims at 0 offset. My truck is Midnight Black Metallic, so I’d prefer a high quality black satin sort of rim. We take frequent trips to the Outer Banks of NC, and and wider tires areadvantageous on the sand. I’d also like to have a more aggressive-looking stance.

Would appreciate any thoughts on whether the wider tire would cause issues, and advice concerning the best way to accomplish the goal here.

Thanks much!
Vic
I have a 2012 CM Platinum 4x4 that I added a lift and rims/tires to that worked out great for me. I go off roading in the desert, mountains, pine forests and mud. I air down to 15 psi in the sand and tires don’t slip on the wheel thanks to bead grip tech. I haven’t gotten stuck yet. The tires barely rub at full lock. My wife feels safe and it’s been reliable. I went with MAXXIS Razr MTs because after EXCESSIVE research, these have proven to have great on road manners and handling, don’t miss a beat off road, and the only mud tire with a 40k mile warranty. I compared ALL the MT and AT major brands.
The Lift
-4 in x 2in Frankenstein Lift:
-3.5” coil overs
-UCA for 2”-4” Lift
-0-3” Rear shocks
-Coachbuilder coil over shims to correct “Tundra lean” 2 - left front, 1 - Right front
-2” rear shackles
-Diff (front) drop kit
-Front Skid plate drop kit
-Front sway bar drop kit
-Driveshaft Carrier bearing drop kit
-Bump stop extensions
-Rear brake line extension

The Rims/Tires:
-Method Race Wheels: 18x9 MR701 Matte Black Wheels +18 Offset, 6” BS with Bead Grip Tech
-35x12.5R18 MAXXIS Razr MTs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.