Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just curious why toyota doesnt make a crew cab with a 6.5' bed? They make DCs with an 8 bed, so how is that different in terms of length?

I would have bought a 6.5' bed CC in an instant.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Thought the same thing. That is what I would have bought had it been an option. I did see someone selling one that they had modified to have the 6.5 ft bed. He said it cost him like 9k to do it.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
HOLY @#$% Batman! What is the turning radius on that beast?

·
Premium Member
1,634 Posts
Look at GM and their unwillingness to build a half-ton crew-cab with anything other than a 'Ridgeline' sized bed. I don't get it.Ford has no problem building the truck people need,bed size,cab-length gas or Diesel.Toyota needs to get their head out of their a$$ and step-up! I just happened to need a DC with a 6.5' bed,the 5.4 V8 Ford uses isn't long for this world.When they offer a comparable V8 to Toyota's 5.7 they'll take more market than they already have; maybe even some of us!:D

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
I had a salesman from the dealer trying to telling me that the frame was a long as the government would allow for a 1/2 ton...then again someone else told me the frame is rated as a 3/4ton, but has 1/2 ton suspension....

Is there any truth to either of these points?

·
Premium Member
1,634 Posts
No,not when Ford has several different bed-length,body styles,all for half-tons. We need to get this"GOVERMENT SAYS" B.S. stopped,before it's too late; WISE THE HELL UP PEOPLE!:banghead:

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Finally, you guys agree with me a crew max tundra and 6'6" bed is the ultimate truck. Chevies crew cab at around 5'8" is a tad better than tundras crew max I think being 5'6" or so, but still useless bed length in my book. I have been preaching with GM for years before I bought my 2007 tundra to get er' done and gave up since they would not listen and so far, Toyota hasn't listened to us either. I'm telling everyone once again, this bed/cab configuration would be the best selling Tundra by far! Ford is the only one offering this and I agree, if they offered a better engine with decent gas mileage, I'd maybe even jump ships as well although not really a Ford fan.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Introducing the new Tundra Limo!

LOL

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
A crew max with a 6'6" bed is perfect, not too long like a limo and not too short, just right for a lot of people. I think the pic of the tundra crew with 8' bed is pushing the length though and won't fit into most standard garages, but a 6'6" bed crew max will in most standard garages.

·
Registered
893 Posts
posted this before, crewmax 6.6ft bed. FYI its for sale on ebay for 30k

would someone please overpay for my dc so i can buy this one. anyone?

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
If you compare length specs:

Tundra Crewmax:228.7"
Ford F150 (5.5' Bed):231.7"
Ford F150 (6.5' Bed):243.7"

If you added 12" to the Crewmax it would still be 3" shorter than the F150 with the 6.5' Box.

·
Premium Member
1,634 Posts
What we're gettin' from all but Ford is 'Bean-Counter Excuses'. I looked at and drove the Supercrew F150 with the 6.5' bed.It didn't offer the neat manual mode dual-gate shifter and after driving the 5.7 Tundra the 5.4 in the F150 felt more like my 06 DC's 4.7.Those two "issues" were ALL that stopped me from having an F150 sitting in my garage today.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Yep, agree cmb on the ford's only real bad problem is the wimpy 5.4L engine. It would do, but the gas mileage is not any better and so why jump ships quite yet until Ford comes out with a better engine both performance wise and possibly gas wise. Are you listening Toyota on this topic? Probably not!
Now if that red tundra with meaty wheels/rims was salsa red (dark red), we might be talking! It looks perfect size wise bed and cabin length and in proportion exactly unlike that silver 8' bed crew max being way too long looking. I think the DC tundra with 6.6' bed is not too bad looking but the crewmax 6.6" bed is perfect unlike the way too short/stubby looking crewmax we have now being 5.5". Wake up toyota!! Here us for a change - get er' done!

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yeah, that 6.6' bed looks perfect. i really wish they offered it, or at least didn't cost 9k to extend it. I bet even a 7' bed would look good.

The 8' bed on the crewmax just looks terrible though.

·
Registered
893 Posts
i found a post on here a couple weeks ago that was posted originally in 07 and the guy was looking for someone to let him do this to their truck for cost, $2500. I woulda jumped on that.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts