Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
So, after I posted, I got to thinking about the first truck I was "associated" with and used and drove.

In the summer of 1970, I accompanied my grandfather and grandmother to Phil Long Ford in Colorado Springs. They ordered a 1970 Ford F-100 to pull a travel trailer they had. Fairly basic truck. Options were 360 c.i. V-8, automatic transmission, long bed, power steering and brakes (yeah, in those days you had to spec these out), trailer package, and a/c. Standard bench seat, rubber-covered floor. Gas tank right behind the seat; when less than 1/2 full, you could hear the fuel sloshing around. No such thing as a reclining seat. Sliding rear window was an add-on after delivery from an aftermarket manufacturer.

That truck drove and rode like a pig. It got 8 mpg. The teenage me loved it! Fairly reliable, but not a nice vehicle. Rust was a problem. It was a half-ton class truck. That meant its payload was 1000 pounds, not the 1600 of today's Tundra. The 5.7L in my 2015 would toast that old 360 in every category. There's no way the 58-year old me would trade my Tundra for that old F-100.

The price: $2800. Using the same inflation calculator, that $2800 would be $17.4K today. Still not fair to compare that old F-100 to today's Tundra for price. Today's Tundra is so much more capable, comfortable, and safer.

·
Registered
234 Posts
The good news is I have no worries about my truck dying before I can upgrade! These trucks are the best

This is one reason why Toyota vehicles are usually more expensive than their US counterparts (when comparing similar options/engines/payload/etc/etc)

Reactions: tundrav8yamaha

·
Registered
234 Posts
The additions I don't have shouldn't have increased the cost of a new truck by $10k.

And inflation happens, I get that, but we have not had a total of 35% inflation over the past 6 years. Somewhere along the line Toyota must have decided to start charging more for the same features.

Anyway, it looks like I'm going to have to be patient and not upgrade to a new model for a while longer.

You fail to account for the actual parts/labor/engineering that went into these things you cite, and all other of the myriad of parts that go into your truck alone. It costs Toyota $X to build a truck and they know that they must sell it to a daelership for $X in order to make that truck profitable for them. I have no doubt that they spend a ton of cash researching their market and what their customers are looking for and what are paying, also researching their competitors and what they are doing and not doing.

If you think that Toyota has just arbitrarily raised the cost of their product without any reason other than to stiff you out of what you think you should get for your dollar then i would say that you are wrong. Obviously there are thousands and thousands of other people who do not believe this because they are buying Toyota vehicles. If people were not buying them then Toyota would react and change behavior.

Moreover, don't you think it's an incredible thing that here in the American free market (sadly a highly regulated market) that you have the CHOICE as to where you want to spend your dollar on a vehicle from several manufacturers? I'm certainly glad I have that choice.

Btw... One thing you didn't mention is the increased cost in newer vehicles on the road today due to our shitbag government forcing, through regulation and threat of penalty, companies to build things into vehicles that drive UP the cost (i.e. all new vehicles must have low pressure indicator systems because our all wise government believes we're too stupid to check the pressure in our tires). This, among many other "safety" features have driven up the cost of newer vehicles.

Reactions: Powertechn2

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I stopped by a local dealership here in NM and am seeing that you can pick up some 4x4 5.7 tundras for the same price or cheaper than many of the 4 x 4 tacomas. If you ask me, it seem like the tacoma is getting really over priced.

I was going to buy a new 2016 Tacoma Trd sport dc 4wd with Tech package and my cost was 43K not out the door. I went with a 4wd 5.7 Tundra and couldn't be >:D Tundra is more truck for the Money vs a Tacoma anyways this has happened two times last time in 2005 Tacoma was more vs a Tundra and that period I went with a larger Truck . Toyota truck's are overpriced but hell it's the Lexus of Trucks :D

Reactions: Powertechn2

·
Registered
281 Posts
Vehicles are only over-priced if too few people are willing to buy them and there's unsold inventory.

The day I drove the Tundra and Tacoma in July 2015, I arrived very early. The first vehicle I drove was a 2015 Taco, and then the Tundra. At the time, I was considering the Tacoma as it got a bit better mileage and would fit in the garage a little more easily.

There were 5 Tundras on the lot, all still wrapped up as they had only been delivered late the prior afternoon. There were about 12 Tacomas. As I left, I noted that potential buyers were swarming the line of Tacomas. While I was test driving the Tundra, I saw four or five of the Tacomas being out for test drives. I'm sure they moved those Tacomas that day.

There was no price difference. MSRPs were about $3K less on the Tacomas, but I knew the dealer was discounting Tundras, but getting MSRP for Tacomas.

It's all about the value judgment that people make. Apparently at that time, people were willing to easily spend over $35K for the smaller truck while the larger truck was available at the same (or lower) price.

·
Registered
6,441 Posts
My 08 cost me less than $20k. A 2wd truck in 18" of snow doesn't fly off the dealers lot. That and $4 and change for a gallon of fuel. Plus the economy.
Now gas is way cheaper, people have way more money, and they aren't afraid to spend it. The limited was the fancy one , now it is not much higher than the work truck. That shows you what people are spending

·
Registered
1 Posts
Lol it was a required package for me to get bumpers the same color as my truck instead of chrome. All it consisted of was a higher CCA battery, heated rear view mirrors, and a heated windshield. I don't use them very often :)
Heated windshield huh? Don't all vehicles have that? I think its called a defroster.lol

·
Registered
132 Posts
I was thinking the same thing...😂

And to keep in line with the thread... I nearly bought a TRD Pro for $45k in 2017. Wish I'd done it now. Probably couldn't get one under $55k now. Ridiculous increase for just a few years IMO. But I sat down and listed out what I really want in a truck and thought about how I love to wrench and modify my own vehicle. I'll have more fun putting personal touches on the truck I have now. :D

21 - 30 of 30 Posts