Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did some looking around at Tundra's recently and am shocked at how expensive they are now. I found a 2017 DC Tundra with the exact same specs as my truck MSRP $42K (the salesman quoted me $39,995). My 2011 DC has the same 4.6L V8, RWD, SR5 Upgrade Package, Spray-in Bedliner, and even has the Cold Weather package. I paid $29K after TT&L back in December 2010 for mine straight off the lot...what has driven up the cost so much for Toyota?

·
Registered
877 Posts
Where are you from? I got a 2016 SR5 Trd 4x4 CM in April for 38 and some change.

That was the 5.7 motor too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Where are you from? I got a 2016 SR5 Trd 4x4 CM in April for 38 and some change.

That was the 5.7 motor too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That seems like a great price for your truck!!

I'm in the Houston area. Maybe I just need to find the right dealership who is willing to work down from MSRP? The one closest to me had about 15 Tundra's on the lot and all but 3 had a dealer-added off road package with black wheels, a small lift, and plastidipped emblems...thus my searching online instead of in person. While I liked the look of the package, it added $4k to each truck, so nothing was even close to the $30k mark.

·
Registered
13,660 Posts
Have you shopped around much?

Look at Ford or Gm lately?

People I know are LEASING Ford and Gm 1/2 tons not loaded for between 369 and 399 a month... Their buy price on an unloaded base extended cab truck with small v8 was between 42 and 45k.... Not Loaded, or with the large V8...

Value of the dollar goes down, price of everything goes up over time That's the way it is. Have you compared the price of a gallon of milk, or the weight in a bag of Lay's potato chips for $3.99 vs what they were in 2010?

In 2010 a GM base std cab long bed 2500hd was $34000, now it is $42000... This is going off of sticker.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I did some looking around at Tundra's recently and am shocked at how expensive they are now. I found a 2017 DC Tundra with the exact same specs as my truck MSRP $42K (the salesman quoted me $39,995). My 2011 DC has the same 4.6L V8, RWD, SR5 Upgrade Package, Spray-in Bedliner, and even has the Cold Weather package. I paid $29K after TT&L back in December 2010 for mine straight off the lot...what has driven up the cost so much for Toyota?
As long as their are stupid people willing to overpay, they'll keep inflating prices. Simple as that.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have you shopped around much?

Look at Ford or Gm lately?

People I know are LEASING Ford and Gm 1/2 tons not loaded for between 369 and 399 a month... Their buy price on an unloaded base extended cab truck with small v8 was between 42 and 45k.... Not Loaded, or with the large V8...

Value of the dollar goes down, price of everything goes up over time That's the way it is. Have you compared the price of a gallon of milk, or the weight in a bag of Lay's potato chips for $3.99 vs what they were in 2010?

In 2010 a GM base std cab long bed 2500hd was $34000, now it is $42000... This is going off of sticker.
Makes sense. Unfortunately it means I'm going to have to save up a while longer before I can switch out my ride :(

The good news is I have no worries about my truck dying before I can upgrade! These trucks are the best

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Why would you need "cold weather package" in Houston? Not even sure what that consist of...
Lol it was a required package for me to get bumpers the same color as my truck instead of chrome. All it consisted of was a higher CCA battery, heated rear view mirrors, and a heated windshield. I don't use them very often :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
I stopped by a local dealership here in NM and am seeing that you can pick up some 4x4 5.7 tundras for the same price or cheaper than many of the 4 x 4 tacomas. If you ask me, it seem like the tacoma is getting really over priced.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I spent 3-4 months looking for a 4x4 pickup that could seat at least 4 people comfortable. Look at the used/new truck market. Looked and test drove Dodge, Ford. Liked the Dodge Ram, but worried about reliability over 10yrs. I tend to buy a vehicle, pay it off a year earlier than the loan terms. I ended up with a Toyota. I realized toyotas hold their value, new tacomas were only a few grand less than a tundra and a tundra alot bigger, bigger engine and more roomy. One i got was $34,299 plus tax, title, tags, and platinum 7 yr warranty. So i'm hoping to get 200k miles out of it like i did the LC and 4runners.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Resell value, supply and demand, and truck owner loyalty are a few of the reasons. I paid $33.5 for my 2011 and drove it 5.5 years and sold it for $22.5. Could have gotten more if I had waited but didn't want to deal with tire kickers and low ballers.

·
Registered
307 Posts
All cars are going up in price. Just like everything else, everyone wants upgrades. EPA wants additional smog controls on the engines, there is not a computer in the dash instead of a radio, parking sensors, back up cameras, auto dimming mirrors, heated mirrors, 400 hp, sliding rear window. All the new technology really starts adding up. When was the last time you saw a bare bones truck sitting on a dealer's lot? Like you said 10 years ago, you could get a nice truck for 30k, now its 40k. I just hate to see how much they will be when I go to trade this one in 10 years from now.

·
Banned
1,318 Posts
Got my 2014 DC sr for 36000. That included all taxes and title. Truck was 32000. Came with tow mirrors, power windows and locks, 5.7, 4x4, backup camera, vynle floors and seats which I prefer, 8' bed,floor mats, . Other brands at the time for those options were 10,000$ more than the tundra. And yes I rather I have a tundra than a Tacoma for that price. I also think the Tacomas arw getting over priced. If you want a cheap price you have to but what no one else wants.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
All cars are going up in price. Just like everything else, everyone wants upgrades. EPA wants additional smog controls on the engines, there is not a computer in the dash instead of a radio, parking sensors, back up cameras, auto dimming mirrors, heated mirrors, 400 hp, sliding rear window. All the new technology really starts adding up. When was the last time you saw a bare bones truck sitting on a dealer's lot? Like you said 10 years ago, you could get a nice truck for 30k, now its 40k. I just hate to see how much they will be when I go to trade this one in 10 years from now.
My 2011 DC Tundra checklist:

EPA smog controls: Got them
Computer in dash: I don't have a flat screen, but I have Bluetooth, iPod/iPhone cable connectivity, XM, etc.
Parking Sensors: Nope
Backup Camera: Yep
Auto Dimming Mirror: Yep, Homelink auto dimming mirror
Heated mirrors: Yep
400 HP: Nope, got the 4.6L V8 with 310HP
Sliding Rear Window: Yep, I have a powered sliding rear mirror

The additions I don't have shouldn't have increased the cost of a new truck by $10k.

And inflation happens, I get that, but we have not had a total of 35% inflation over the past 6 years. Somewhere along the line Toyota must have decided to start charging more for the same features.

Anyway, it looks like I'm going to have to be patient and not upgrade to a new model for a while longer.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Q: Why are divorces so expensive?
A: Because they are worth it!

Same as the Toyota, best truck out there, worth every penny in all those extra miles you'll put on it vs. the others.

Reactions: shdtree

·
Registered
434 Posts
This should explain it all,

2010 vs 2016

2010 When I bought my SR5 DC 5.7 they were giving close to $10,000 in breaks, now 2016 they are giving $1000.00

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This should explain it all,

2010 vs 2016

2010 When I bought my SR5 DC 5.7 they were giving close to $10,000 in breaks, now 2016 they are giving $1000.00
This is this best answer I've heard yet. That would explain it

·
Registered
281 Posts
I don't think they've gone up --at all-- accounting for inflation.

I've had two Tundras, a 2000 and the 2015 I have now. The 2000 was the Access Cab SR5 TRD. The 2015 is a Double Cab SR5 TRD. Both had the largest V-8 offered in the Tundra at the time. Both were/are 4WD. Comparing MSRP for these two trucks is the only "apples to apples" comparison I can think of.

The 2000:

MSRP was about $32K. It was driven off the lot for about $28.5K.

The 2015:

MSRP was just under $39K. It was driven off the lot for $35.5K. This truck is 1" wider, 4" longer than the 2000. It has 140 horsepower more than the 2000. It has more room in the interior. Towing capacity was increased by about 40% over the 2000.

The clincher: Using an inflation calculator on dollartimes.com, and only increasing it for infllation over the period 2000-2015, the 2000 MSRP of $32K would have been $44.6K.

The price of today's Tundra doesn't appear to have kept up for inflation over 15 years and has more capacity than the 2000 Tundra.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts