Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Bring back an old post.

I don't mind giving and have often been approached. But I'm no sucker! I think part of the problem is there is no stigma in asking for a handout.

A few years back and after a snow storm I had to check on a property to see if it got plowed. One of my directs was with me and we had to shovel the steps and put ice melt down.

It was about 8" of snow which was wet when it dropped but had a hard freeze staying in the teens creating a good 1/2" of ice on the snow. So anyway this young kid about 19 comes walking across the parking lot wearing new looking jeans and a nice looking warm coat and he's engrossed talking on his cell phone and looking where he steps.

He pauses his phone conversation and asked if I had any money. I said yup..I'd like your phone! He said what does that mean? I said very simple I've got money and you have a phone..give me the phone and I'll give you some money. He said something like FU and went back to his phone conversation again walking slowly because of the ice.

So we shoveled and used spreaders to put the ice melt down and headed back to our main building and I'm driving my pickup not a company vehicle.

Well slacker hasn't made it very far maybe a city block and he's still on the phone and he turns around to see what's approaching 'cause he's going to have to step out of the tire tracks and into the snow (not plowed) and he sees its me and reaches down for a chunk of ice. My Direct is laughing his butt off saying He's going to hit you..he's going to hit you and I said no he won't.

I slowed down rolled my window down and said hey.. You know how I wasn't going to give you any money? He says yeah, well I'm still not but my boss drove up and I told him about you and he said if I saw you to tell you he'd give you some.
He had his hand behind his back and I saw the ice drop. I continued and said you can't miss him he's driving a red truck.

He bought it and headed back!

·
Premium Member
1,633 Posts
Mostly drugs. I would go down to the creek running through our city that had tent camps all over the place. Usually bring down those cheap roasted chickens from the grocery store, a few cases of beer, baby wipes and plastic dinnerware. I would sit down there and listen to their stories of how they ended up homeless. To be honest, lots of them were drug users and just gave up. Some were ex military and that really bothered me being a vet myself. Some actually chose to be like that. They migrate from one place to the next. The other sad ones to see was complete families living down in these camps. A couple wrong financial decisions, a few hardships and ended up without a home or car really quick. One family said it happened so fast they were still in shock.

Now the asshole side of me....we have a serious problem in my city with the beggars. Able bodied men just on street corners asking for money. I recently did a huge renovation on my home that included a lot of landscaping. I asked no less than 10 of these fools if they wanted under the table work...and tons of it. This was the deal:
-17.00 hour
-breaks
-6 pack cold beer at end of day
- Lunch paid

Would you think one of these sign holding fool would do some shovel work?

Hell no. Pissed me of.
Hey,I'm in,you still hiring?!:lol:

·
Registered
848 Posts
I hate Italy. Spent 2 days in Rome for my job about 6 months ago. Seeing the Colosseum? Awesome. Everything else? Crap. Out of the 58 counties I've been to, Italy and Jamaica are the worst for beggars. Greece falls into second place. In Jamaica they actually get mad at you if you don't give them money or buy there stupid bullshît knick-nacks or weed. The sandals resort there in Jamaica is actually fenced off, with high chain link fence all the way even down the beach into the water so the locals can't come on the beach property of the resort. It's that bad. Sandals doesn't tell you that do they lol. You go on a Caribbean vacation, avoid that hell hole.
I've been to Sandals (actually all 7 and both Beaches resorts in Jamaica) I go downtown Negril and Montego Bay all the time.
I've never been accosted once in 8yrs going there.
The Term "Respect" is huge to Jamaicans because they are a proud people and don't like being looked down upon.
Jamaica has no welfare system, it's eat or be eaten. A simple smile and polite no thank you will get you no issues.

Which place had a fence into the water?
All beaches are public, there are security personnel to stop people from just walking up on resort you get in on the all inclusive ( nice trick if you can get away with it LOL).

I'm biased, full disclosure...
Here's link to my wife's Site: Affordable Vacations By DonnaSpecializing In All-Inclusive Travel - Home
Just check out the blog section to get an idea.

I truely love Jamaica and thought of buying a retirement home there.

·
Registered
7,071 Posts
When the benefits received from not working are better than what you would make while working 40+ hours a week, no wonder so many people have become lazy deadbeats.

I guess when I lost my job a few years ago, and went back to work at McDonalds for 1/4 of what I was making at my previous job, I wasn't thinking logically LOL. Shoulda stood in the welfare line...I hear those people eat 3 square steak meals a day LOL. I always thought having a descent job was more rewarding but I guess my brain isn't working right according to today's standards.

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
Funny this thread came up. As stated earlier today, I loaded up some paving stones, paving stone caps, sand bags at Home Depot and was heading to our local material yard to get some mulch. A lady that was maybe 40 years old comes up asking for money. I sighed and told her I needed help with some landscaping. I told her I normally offer 17.00 per hour, but for her I would offer 22.00 per hour.

Then the funniest thing happened as usual. All of a sudden she had back problems and other ailments that restricted her from doing anything manual labor.

I just told her, then I can't help you. I don't just give people money. She got pissed and walked away. I wonder how much I will have to offer to actually get some help from beggers? My bet is 30.00 per hour.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Funny this thread came up. As stated earlier today, I loaded up some paving stones, paving stone caps, sand bags at Home Depot and was heading to our local material yard to get some mulch. A lady that was maybe 40 years old comes up asking for money. I sighed and told her I needed help with some landscaping. I told her I normally offer 17.00 per hour, but for her I would offer 22.00 per hour.

Then the funniest thing happened as usual. All of a sudden she had back problems and other ailments that restricted her from doing anything manual labor.

I just told her, then I can't help you. I don't just give people money. She got pissed and walked away. I wonder how much I will have to offer to actually get some help from beggers? My bet is 30.00 per hour.

ColoradoTj
Kudos for being sympathetic and giving this person a chance to earn money and gain some self respect all the while she networks.

I could see this woman in a sales position..she is comfortable approaching strangers an extrovert trait.. Thinks fast on her feet as she deflected to her back issues whatever and has handled rejection well as you didn't mention any confrontation after saying what you did.

Everything she did in that short exchange shows me she'd be good in sales.

Oh wait she is!

Good panhandlers make good money tax free:

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/5030343

There are other articles you can google like millionaire panhandlers:

Saudi panhandler dies a millionaire | The Times of Israel: http://www.timesofisrael.com/saudi-panhandler-dies-a-millionaire/

As a fellow doer who likes physical work If I lived close by to you and heard you wanted a hand with a project I'd volunteer. Hard work as defined as physical keeps one fit and arguably healthier than if one didn't do it.

Physical work is now called weight bearing exercise:

http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00263

I just call it fun doing something outside that helps someone out! Might even learn something about landscaping that I didn't already know..always a good thing!

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
Never know if she is or isn't good in sales. I'm going to say she could be.

A common theme comes up on all these pan handlers, will not work. I find it sad and humorous at the same time. The mid-twenties able bodied men are the ones that anger me a bit more. I like to assume they don't do as well in the panhandling business.

My city, Colorado Springs, is being overran by these pan handlers. The city was trying to do an "anti-squatting" ordinance, the ACLU put a crunch on that.

·
"Resident Liberal"
12,231 Posts
EDIT: Cliff Notes. Long story short, if someone tells me they need money for a drink, they are more likely to get money from me vs spinging a lie about needing work or being stranded.
I might have posted it already in this multipaged thread but,

But first a side story, Before most of you were born,freight companies were either interstate or intrastate. For example, You could not send a UPS package to an address in the same state you were in. Freight haulers either had to haul out of state or in state.
Couldn't do both.

Anyway, I used to have to take small packages to the bus station. Common hangout for alkies, homeless,panhandlers or a combination of part of that or all of that.
Anyway, I was dropping some packages off at the bus station and a guy come up to me trying to sell me two boxes of pancake mix. I told him I didn't need any pancake mix.

Then he said, come on Brother, I need a drink. I said, why didn't you just say that from the start? He looked at me like I was crazy. I asked him what he drank and he told me anything but Mad Dog 20 20 was cheapest. He said it was $1.25 a pint or something like that. So I told him I understood about needing a drink and I gave him enough to get him a fifth.

We have corners that someone is always panhandling.

They mostly have signs.

Vietnam Vet, Hungry

Stranded need help with gas money

Shit like that.

One guy goes so far as to make sure he wears shorts on really cold days so people can see he is an amputee with what looks to be a pretty sophisticated prosthesis.

I never give them money.

One day I was in my driveway working on something and a guy parked at the end of my driveway, walked up on me and said he needed some gas money and he had a brand new Nike Backpack he would take $10.00 for. I looked it over and it was the real deal.

I am sure it was stolen but I had a five gallon can of gas that had about 4 gallons in it.

Gas was going for about $2.50 a gallone so I told him I would trade him the gas for the backpack. He started back peddling and said, he was also gonna get him a pack of cigarettes and something to eat.

I told him I would give him the gas and make him a ham sandwich and he started getting Beligerant. He said, man if you got all of that, I'm sure you have $10.00 to spare.

So I told him , dude if you had just come up here and said you were selling backpacks for $10.00 I might have bought a couple from you but you came telling lies.
You need to get off my property now.

I was working off my tailgate so I picked up the pistol that was laying there and put it in my holster. He was about to say something right before I did this and he got quiet, turned around on a dime and headed back down my driveway.

Fast forward to last friday.

I was sitting in line at a traffice light and A decent looking woman had a sign saying her car was broke down and she needed money for baby formula.

She had an iphone 6S sticking out of her back pocket. I ignored her like I always do.

About an hour later, I was coming back from where I had been and saw her walk over to a parking lot and get in an older ford Taurus. It wasn't a beauty but she got in it, fired it right up and drove off.

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
It was really bad when I was going to Georgia Tech in the middle of Atlanta back in the 90s. According to campus security some of these guys were pros and collected $400/week and had a home to go at the end of the day. Almost wish I had a shirt made up to say "No! I don't have 50 cents" every time I walked over to the Varsity for a burger.

I've worked in a homeless shelter on occasion and you'll get all walks of life, even 20 somethings that are living on the street and cut off from their folks.

The shelters are there to feed them and if they come early enough, they can get a bed to sleep. I never bother with street handouts since more often than not it's extra money for alcohol or drugs.

I've seen one guy ask for money for food, so they guy told him he'd grab him a donut at dunkin donuts.

Less than a minute after the guy give him the donut and leaves, the guy tosses it in the garbage since he was really just looking for money. I hate when I see crap like that.

There are other times I see a small family out begging for money and I sometimes wonder if they legitmately need the extra cash or not.

For a while there was (I think still is) a panhandling course at a college, either Fl, or Ca. I forget... Anyways, as I read into it out of curiosity, some of these people bring home a few hundred in a day. TAX FREE.

By me for a while there would be 2 healthy looking 20-28yo guys, decent jeans, wearing expensive brand ball caps holding signs "will work for food" etc... I even had one of them stare through my window at me one day.

So a few weeks later, same light I saw someone hand out 2 bucks to one of them. He walks back towards the corner and I watch him pull out a fugging bank roll with rubber band around it and put this 2 bucks into the middle then band it back up.

I don't feel bad at all when I see these guys now. They seem like they are just working a scam.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts