Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Morning Everyone and Happy Thursday!

My curiosity is perking today so I have a question for the members.

You just bought a new Tundra and you are thinking about or have upgraded the tires. So my question is, if you bought a BRAND NEW Tundra, what was your reasoning for changing tires? Especially since you got brand new tires on your truck?

My 2017 is over a month old and I just bought a set of Ridge Grapplers. My reasoning was purely cosmetic as the stock tires would have been fine for a few years.

On that note, what is your reason for your trucks new shoes?

TR

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Haha yes....probably 90% of this board buys tires they don't truly need solely for cosmetic purposes...myself included!

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
Guilty.

Not just tires, but most mods we do are not exactly functional. Leveling/lift kits, wheels, Headlights, Grille, etc, There are few exceptions like bed liner, floor liner, and some others. But we are addicts, emotionally supported by other addicts on the forum.

·
Registered
7,071 Posts
I changed mine when they wore out, or when a tire was damaged beyond repair. Other than that I don't waste money changing the tires on a brand new vehicle. Made it 46k on the OEM Michelins that were on my 08 Tundra when I bought it. Probably could have gone a while longer but was having to drive a long distance and didn't want to take the chance.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I changed mine because the Michelin tires that came on my '14 sucked. I had 660 miles on them and was heading home on a dirt road just outside of town. I blew a sidewall on one tire and had a second one that was almost ready to go too. This is a well maintained dirt road that goes out to some ranches and it's also a road to go from the highway on one side of town to the highway on the other side of town and it's also used for utility access for gas lines, etc. and for access to the top of the mountain and an FAA Radar Station. I was only doing 35mph on it and that was the first and only time I've had trouble in many hundreds of miles traveled on that road with a couple of different vehicles.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Purely cosmetic and I regret my decision. My 2014 has 26k miles on it. It's mainly used for towing my travel trailer all summer and jobs around the house so 2.5" lift and 295 Ridge Grapplers with new wheels definitely wasn't necessary. I will change them out for something smaller to restore the power I lost, braking performance and fuel economy. I get lots of compliments on it tho.. so I've got that going for me. :D

·
Registered
791 Posts
I got the best of both worlds when I put the NITTO NT421Q on my 14' Plat Sequoia. When we bought it the original owner never rotated the factory Michelins until the day they traded it in (35k miles).The dealer swapped the front to rear and it just didn't look right. Tread up front and almost no tread on the rear. Now I could have just bought two new tires and been done with that...but a touch of OCD wouldn't allow that. But hey, now I have a new set of tires that looks just right, ride great and have some crazy 75k mile warranty.

But normally I change all my tires out due to the end of their service life or a have a non-repairable tire issue....or if I get a heck of a deal on a complete new set (free).

Attachments

Reactions: theoat

·
Registered
111 Posts
Purely cosmetic and I regret my decision. My 2014 has 26k miles on it. It's mainly used for towing my travel trailer all summer and jobs around the house so 2.5" lift and 295 Ridge Grapplers with new wheels definitely wasn't necessary. I will change them out for something smaller to restore the power I lost, braking performance and fuel economy. I get lots of compliments on it tho.. so I've got that going for me. :D

Been down that road. My truck is my daily driver, vacation rig, and towing. I went with 285/65R18 Toyo Open County AT2 10 ply tires on the stock rims. A little wider, and my speedo is almost exact (over a 10 mile test). Looks good, functional for traction when needed, and my last trip to the coast I got 17 MPG. WHEN I get back into off-roading, I’ll get another old CJ5 to go crazy with (will be my 5th). Choose the right tool for the job!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Wanted a single tire to run year round in all conditions, more aggressive and E rated for hauling a trailer.....and of course to attract the hood rats.... :dunno:

Reactions: ACDan

·
Registered
8 Posts
Factory tires are manufactured to provide the smoothest possible ride. They are different than the same tire you buy from the tire store. Factory tires will not last as long but you will get a nice ride. So now you have a reason to get those cool aggressive tires you've been eyeing.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Passenger tires have no business being put on light trucks, I upgrade to LT. Running BFG LT AT KO in my Sierra, and when it's time for a Tundra, it will get a set too.

I live out in tbe country, these are amazing in mud, snow and anything else. The ride is worth it.

·
Registered
14,226 Posts
My factory tires rode harsh. And looked stupid. I had actually ordered Exo Graps before the truck was manufactured. Already knew I wanted them. Sold the new take-off's.

Ride was improved. Looks improved. And had a winter rated tire, which is important to me as I run the stock wheels during winter, and a different setup for summer.

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
Bought my Tundra new in 2008 and did not make the first modification until the original tires were worn out at 32k miles but since then, I found this damn forum and it's cost me about $12,000.00

Sure would like some purdier tires thou

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.