Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Need to replace my 2020 Tundra (one of my fellow motorists decided to total it for me). Got a fair settlment from insurance and need to buy a replacement. But at least out here in southern California, Tundras are in very short supply. My local dealer only has one Tundra on their whole lot, whereas a year ago they had a dozen. Many dealers only have one or two. In the past I was always able to look around and find right combination of body style, option packages, exterior color, etc. But now it looks like Toyota is barely even in the full size pickup business.

I talked to a couple of dealers, but they don't have or won't give an intelligent answer. So what is the real story? I figure its got to be one of these:
1) Demand is down, and dealers can't afford the carry cost on the inventory, so Toyota has reduced production;
2) Toyota or some of their major suppliers have been affected by COVID, which has affected the supply of parts/materials or the availability of labor, and forcing them to build fewer trucks; or
3) Toyota is tooling up one of their plants in anticipation of the launch of the redesigned 2022 Tundra, which has reduced their manufacturing capacity for 2021 Tundras.

Or maybe there is another reason? What do you experts know?

The dealer inventory is so low it doesn't even look like Toyota wants to be in the truck business. And my local dealer said he couldn't trade with another dealer to get the truck i want, because he doesn't have a truck to give in trade. When you think about some of the disadvantages of the current Tundra (terrible fuel economy, recent price increases, 13 years since a redesign, etc.) I'm starting to question whether I even want a 2021 Tundra. Starting to think maybe I will just upgrade my wife's 4Runner and drive the old one until the 2022 Tundra or the Ford Bronco is released. Or maybe I should just go buy an F-150. But I have owned a '78 FJ40, an '87 4x4 pickup, four 4Runners, three Tundras and one Venza--so you know I am a dedicated Toyota guy. Would really like to get back into a Tundra.

Anyone have any market insight to share? Thanks!

·
Registered
13,789 Posts
Demand is outpacing production, and manufacturers haven't caught up from covid shutdowns. Also certain supplies are not as available as they used to be, also due to covid.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Tornado hit the NC factory which makes transmissions for Tundra and F150. Stopped production for awhile. Probably also related to supply issues typical of this Covid situation. Lots of stuff unavailable/ backordered/ slow.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts