Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Trans-Immigrant
15,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just was thinking about my install and I noticed that my amp has a High Level input.. yet they stereo shop still sold & installed a LOC..

I asked the guy why and he said because thats how they always do it... ok... :confused:

Anyone know why this is? are LOC more efficient at getting the level to where the amp needs it? or is it just a gimmick to sell more product?

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
What kind of amp did you get? What model of loc did they use? If its just a PAC loc or similar then there is a chance the high level input in the amp would a chalky sound better depending on what kind of amp you got.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
333 Posts
The only time I would use an LOC when the amp has high level inputs is if the LOC has a built in line driver or some other type of benefit like an EQ or Accubass like the Audiocontrol pieces have. You actually have more chances for noise and problems with any LOC because you're putting one more component between the head unit and amp instead of just running speaker wire directly to the amp from the deck. I agree with the Platinumb, the shop sold them to you just to sell them.

·
Trans-Immigrant
15,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmmm.... should i leave it like it is..
or remove the loc & wire it directly to the amp..... in all honesty, it does sound good... i believe its probably a good signal since the HU & stock Amp puts out a subwoofer signal so the Loc isnt having to filter out any mids & highs...
Another observation... home theater equipment has a single channel for the subwoofer.
automotive, left & right... but the amp is a single channel.... even the source is a single channel.. why are they putting in a L&R when all thats really needed is a single channel??

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
I would certainly leave it as it. Are you running a stock HU? I will often use an LOC with a stocker even if there are high inputs. The LOC has a built in amp turn on circuit that senses when there is sound and turns on the amp instead of it just working with the key.

·
Registered
333 Posts
If everything is working good then leave it as is. In mobile audio some systems actually use a left and right bass channels instead of mono. A lot of decks will actually have a setting for the sub outs that switch between a stereo signal and a mono signal. It allows for more install options like running out of the sub output stereo to a 2 channel midbass amp that you want to run stereo and then daisy-chaining the 2 channel midbass amp to a mono sub amp and using the crossovers on the amps instead of the deck. Most mono amplifiers internally mix the left and right channels and only output a mono signal, no matter how many speaker outputs they have.

Reactions: Dragos28

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Another good thing is if they mounted the LOC in the dash and ran RCAs... If you ever decide to change head units the wires are already ran for you. Some LOCs will clean up the signal some too.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Hmmm.... should i leave it like it is..
or remove the loc & wire it directly to the amp..... in all honesty, it does sound good... i believe its probably a good signal since the HU & stock Amp puts out a subwoofer signal so the Loc isnt having to filter out any mids & highs...
Another observation... home theater equipment has a single channel for the subwoofer.
automotive, left & right... but the amp is a single channel.... even the source is a single channel.. why are they putting in a L&R when all thats really needed is a single channel??
Yeah just leave it the loc isn't hurting anything it just wasn't needed.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

1 - 14 of 14 Posts