Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2020 Limited and it has a Clutch Fan. Why has Toyota not gone electric?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It just seems they could have squeezed a little more horse power out of the truck with Electric fans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
13,865 Posts
There's at least a couple of people who have converted to electric fans. I think Jbroas did it, but I forget.

I was really interested for a while, but no drop in replacement kits were out. If someone made one, priced decent, I would bite though. I'm sure it would free up some power.

Reactions: mtbbrewer74

·
Registered
40 Posts
You could start a thread titled "Why Doesn't Toyota...?" and it would get a ZILLION responses. Like 1. Put in a grab bar on the driver's A-pillar anymore. 2. Fix the remote starting system so it works correctly..ETC, ETC, ETC.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Many think the electric fans are free , in terms of parasitic loss VS a clutch fan .
They are not , the more amps for the alternator to put out , the more HP it takes to turn it .

Mathematically , i think you come out ahead with elec fans by a little bit .

·
Registered
344 Posts
Can the electric fans keep up with the cooling like the clutch fans? I have absolutely no idea! When pulling a 7000 lb travel trailer up a 20 mile grade when it is 115 degrees outside these questions enter your mind. The clutch fan is louder than the engine on the inside of the cab when doing this. So, it is displacing a huge amount of air to keep everything cool! Including me!🥵👍

Reactions: mtbbrewer74

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
The biggest issue I had with my electric fan setup was the controller. It needed a always on switch for idling and it never seemed to work correctly in stop and go traffic. I actually just removed the setup the other week because I am moving to Colorado and don't want to deal with it anymore.

Here is a huge thread about electric fans

Reactions: Powertechn2

·
Registered
13,865 Posts
The biggest issue I have had with electric fans (not on my Tundra, but the 87 Grand National I had) was shrouding.

I switched from factory single to twin spal fans, but even though they had more cfm, the lower cfm factory fan from 1987 worked better. The shroud was the difference. Same as most older 80's hot rods I had where the shroud was missing. Always was an issue in traffic, especially Woodward cruise time.

I think with a proper shroud, and proper cfm fans it would free up some power, while cooling efficiently. But would be best to have a secondary pusher fan for when ac is on/traffic/towing, etc.

·
Registered
905 Posts
In the Cummins diesel world , several have tried very powerful elect fans and controllers in search of MPG's ........... with varying degree of success . But the elect fans just do not quite have the cfm. Controllers get complicated , unreliable ect ect .
Third gen Cummins have an electronicly controlled viscus clutch fan . Mostly for better AC in traffic ..... Such a bad idea , the wires occationally get sucked into the fan , or they just stop working , ect ect . very bad idea .

Personally i am glad to have a plain old thermostatically controlled clutch fan. It works.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts