Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2013 4.6 2wd with 88k miles
Left work this morning in the rain and drove about 25 miles to a gas station, got out to get a drink and noticed that when I pulled in my truck was making a whining noise from under the hood. Payed it no attention and noticed the battery gauge is lower than normal. Battery has never been replaced. The positive terminal had a lot of corrosion built up so I thought maybe it is the alternator not getting much juice. Pulled it off cleaned it and made no difference. The whine kinda sounds like a turbo. Whines at idle but gets higher pitched when I turn the steering wheel. Also it gets a little louder when I increase the RPM’s. Can’t tell much about driving sound thanks to the bamuffler. I was hoping it was just belts being wet or something but they have never done this before. Possibly battery is about to go bad? Any ideas? This is the first vehicle I have ever hung onto for longer than 55k miles so starting to get paranoid about every little noise. Only maintenance has been air filters and oil changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Alternator is going bad. You can have it checked at AutoZone or similar to confirm. Don't drive too far from home.

Reactions: Mr. Creosote

·
Registered
108 Posts
My alternator died on me recently but with almost no warning. I regretfully didn't notice the low voltage warning light or gauge untill it was too late. Got it off the freeway and had to uber to an auto parts store. Threw a new battery in it and got it another 10 miles to a hotel.

A few more uber rides for parts and tools and many unhappy looks from Hilton Doubletree employees later... got it back up and running. Sucks breaking down away from home.

If you're going to change it out yourself, it's a little more difficult than an alternator replacment should be. You must remove the power steering pump to access it and everything is done through the front right wheel well. There are a few thorough write ups on how to do it.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
32 Posts
M7 2015 SR5 had a whine at 30k+ or so... Sounds like your situation. Dealership replaced power steering pump and another thing or two, before replacing alternator, which was the issue.

Reactions: Mr. Creosote

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have another battery that will get me by if mine goes. I got it on charge and had about 30-45 min before I had to leave for work so I hooked the charger to the battery In the truck. Get in to leave the whine is gone and shows about right on the battery volts according to the gauge. When I get off in the morning I’m gonna go grab a new battery and hope that’s all it is. A mechanic said it’s probably the 5 year old battery and the alternator went wide open to try and get the volts up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.