Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got around to fix the power steering pump today. No leaks and the steering is as light as it could get. I was able to hear the noise when the pump failed last week but I thought it would go away when I replace the pump. Well I did and the noise is still there loud an clear at cold start up, when I rev the engine and I could hear it while driving too.

Yesterday, I took the truck to a shop to color match the grill surround. While it was outside, it started raining hard. The grill was off and the hood was up. I lowered the hood and moved the truck under a shed.

A few hours ago, I started the truck after it sat for 2-3 hours. The whine was still there and a code popped up.

P0607: This code basically means that the programming of the PCM/ECM (powertrain/engine control module) has failed.

Truck runs fine, no limp mode or anything. I tried clearing it but it pops right back. It's not the O2 sensors, I know that because it would give another code along with this one (P0158 or something)

I don't know if these two issues are related but I can't seem to find what the problem is. I'll try and get a video of the noise. If anyone faced a similar problem, please chime in. Thanks! :)

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
Usually whining from the passenger side comes from a wife :lol5:

Are you sure it isn't your AIP...you did say you heard it during cold start up..... though you mentioned it was continuing while you were driving...just a thought...

·
Premium Member
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Usually whining from the passenger side comes from a wife :lol5:

Are you sure it isn't your AIP...you did say you heard it during cold start up..... though you mentioned it was continuing while you were driving...just a thought...
lol funny you should ask, I replaced the the water pump last week when I asked the dealership to check on the power steering. and yeah its still there after it warms up. Do you think the dealership messed up the water pump install?

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
I doubt they could be related...I'm assuming you don't have a flex fuel with the S/C...
I just saw you wrote ECM and I've read guys getting a reflash for the emissions on the flex's.

Unless your pumps are staying on for some reason....

·
Premium Member
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I doubt they could be related...I'm assuming you don't have a flex fuel with the S/C...
I just saw you wrote ECM and I've read guys getting a reflash for the emissions on the flex's.

Unless your pumps are staying on for some reason....
Not FFV. I hope its just the water from the rain causing a short or something and triggering the code.

I'll change the serpentine belt tomorrow just in case.

·
Premium Member
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've been searching online and I think my alternator is about to fail. Two weeks ago the battery died on me because I forgot to turn off the headlights. After that, my truck stalled twice when I first try to crank it, but starts up fine the second time. Yesterday I disconnected the batteries to see if the code clears, when I cranked it after, it stalled again but started fine after.

When the whine gets louder at high revs also hints to the alternator.

I'm taking an exam this morning and on the way to campus I tried to clear the code. It didn't come back for the next 10 minutes. I hope it doesn't show up again and prove that it was just due to a short caused by the rain in the engine bay.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Reactions: Wacked and theoat

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
From the repair manual:
NOTICE:

An exhaust gas leak generates noise in the HO2S output. The ECM may interpret this as an HO2S transistor malfunction and set P0607

I wonder if the same holds true if it picks up the noise your alternator is making

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
But reading through the trouble tree and this code is not with other codes it usually points to the ecm, fix the alternator first for the noise and go from there would be my advise.

Make sure you don't have an exhaust leak either

·
Registered
663 Posts
is it a high pitched whine?

Reactions: Wacked

·
Registered
872 Posts
I know its far fetched. But if I am correct that is where the "intake" is, could your filter be clogged. I know a SC is going to be sucking in a lot of air, it could be tripping a code for not getting enough air? I am not sure but that's my two cents :)

·
Premium Member
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Took it to the dealer, popped up the hood and revved it. It was more of a squeal than a whine. It turns out to be either the tensioner pulley or the belt it self. I think either one of those got messed up when my PS pump went out. I'll replace the belt soon and if the squeal is still there, I'll have to change the pulley as well.

The code popped up again too, this time with a friend. P0138. Its the same O2 sensor issue with the URD simulator. It happened all the time in Oregon but since I moved to Florida it didn't rain that hard until a few days ago. I'll pop the Simulators out and dry them and see what happens.

I guess those two are unrelated after all, just a bad coincidence.

Thanks everybody for the input.

·
Premium Member
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
From the repair manual:
NOTICE:

An exhaust gas leak generates noise in the HO2S output. The ECM may interpret this as an HO2S transistor malfunction and set P0607

I wonder if the same holds true if it picks up the noise your alternator is making

But reading through the trouble tree and this code is not with other codes it usually points to the ecm, fix the alternator first for the noise and go from there would be my advise.

Make sure you don't have an exhaust leak either
Can't hear any exhaust leak. I'm sure its the simulator now that the other code finally showed up

is it a high pitched whine?
Its mor a few squeal than a whine. It sounded like a whine when I'm driving though, my bad.

I know its far fetched. But if I am correct that is where the "intake" is, could your filter be clogged. I know a SC is going to be sucking in a lot of air, it could be tripping a code for not getting enough air? I am not sure but that's my two cents :)
Good point, but its coming from the lower part of the engine bay. The tech said its either the pulley or belt.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
a companion code with that one is always the one to track down first, you are probably right

·
Premium Member
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I removed the O2 sim yesterday and I have been driving around for almost two days now. Only codes I get are the P0430 & P0420. Which is normal for anyone who has LTs or no converters installed without an O2 sim. No P0607 code so now I know what's the problem. I've kept the simulator dry for two days now but its still raining, so I'll wait until it stops and re install it. If the code shows up again, I probably have a defective unit.

Serpentine belt is here, I'll replace it as soon as possible and see if the squeal goes away.

·
Premium Member
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sorry, I forgot to update. I replaced the belt and the sound was still there. Took it to another shop and they told me its 100% the tensioner pulley as it was moving around and was in fact making the sound.

Ordered a replacement and installed it in 20 minutes. Placed the belt on and no more squeaking.

And no more codes after letting the simulator dry for 24 hours.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Sorry, I forgot to update. I replaced the belt and the sound was still there. Took it to another shop and they told me its 100% the tensioner pulley as it was moving around and was in fact making the sound.

Ordered a replacement and installed it in 20 minutes. Placed the belt on and no more squeaking.

And no more codes after letting the simulator dry for 24 hours.

Hmmm wonder if mine is going bad also

1 - 17 of 17 Posts