Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going with 2wd, used for sure, wanting to stay about $22,000 max (around 60K miles or less). Coming from sports cars/sedans, hope the transition isn't too difficult

questions:

1) double cab or crew max?
I won't be doing much towing/hauling at all. I have a one year-old...not that many people ride with me. I would need rear A/C since we live in TX. Does the double cab have any package with rear A/C? I also want to keep in mind if we have another kiddo. Would the double cab have enough room inside? I'll most likely have to go to the dealer and compare with the wife and kiddo on this one!

2) Is there a particular year that is built better (say 2008-2011)?

3) Seems like there are so many different options/packages for Tundras. I had been doing research on a Tacoma and knew exactly what I wanted, but you guys have me leaning towards a Tundra now. I do want a smoother/less "bouncy" ride. Wife may drive it time to time. I probably would want a package that contained leather, JBL, USB port.

4) engine? Most people here say 5.7..that would be overkill for me, but seems like most are saying it gets just slightly less than the smaller v8.

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
10,869 Posts
Not sure what the market is like wherever you live but a 2008+ Tundra here is pretty hard to come by for 22K unless it has extremely high miles or there is something wrong with it.

·
Registered
738 Posts
I would definitely go with the crewmax. Good luck with the purchase.

Reactions: maverick22

·
Premium Member
10,869 Posts
Looks nice and I think that is what you will find in that price range generally...a double cab with the smaller V8 rather than the 5.7 and not much with regard to packages other than the tow package...still a great truck though.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks nice and I think that is what you will find in that price range generally...a double cab with the smaller V8 rather than the 5.7 and not much with regard to packages other than the tow package...still a great truck though.
What are some good packages?

I'm sure the smaller V8 would be more than what I'd need anyways. So everyone thinks getting it might affect resale value though?

·
Premium Member
10,869 Posts
What are some good packages?

I'm sure the smaller V8 would be more than what I'd need anyways. So everyone thinks getting it might affect resale value though?
It affects resale big time, that same truck with a 5.7 would be about 3K more, another 3K for 4WD and probably 1500-2000 for SR5. SR5 is a good package but really as long as the truck has what you want/need that is all that matters.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I really like the SR5 package. Gets you bucket seats and a center console. There doesn't seem to be too much storage otherwise. And gets you the underseat storage in the back but it may be hard to use if you have car seats. But it's a good place for jumper cables and what not.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Reactions: maverick22

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
It affects resale big time, that same truck with a 5.7 would be about 3K more, another 3K for 4WD and probably 1500-2000 for SR5. SR5 is a good package but really as long as the truck has what you want/need that is all that matters.
$3K?! Wow! Don't need 4wd. Would like SR5 probably or TRD.

08 Toyota Tundra SR5 CrewMax 5.7L V8 Auto Extra Clean!!!

FS: 2008 TOYOTA TUNDRA LIMITED MAX CAB 5.7L V8 2WD CLEAN TITLE !

2010 Toyota Tundra

2007 Toyota Tundra

Liking all of these! You're right though--don't see many that are crews around the price range I'm looking for. Most are base double cabs I guess. Still very nice!

·
Premium Member
10,869 Posts
TRD is nice enough but personally, I have never understood getting a TRD 2WD since I am not sure how much off-roading you will see in the 2WD truck. The standard 2WD suspension is perfectly adequate for dirt roads and what not. For you, your money would be better spent on SR5.

·
Spooge Guzzler
6,318 Posts
I won't be doing much towing/hauling at all.
The 4.6 will be just fine. And being a 2wd, your mpg will be impressive. Especially with the truck in stock form and factory spec street tires.

Does the double cab have any package with rear A/C?
No.

Would the double cab have enough room inside? I'll most likely have to go to the dealer and compare with the wife and kiddo on this one!
For your situation and a potentially growing family, I would pick a CM all day long, for the additional cabin space. The DC will work, but it's so much nicer having the CM for family hauling. But you said it: Best thing to do is go check them out and compare. Bring the car seat and see what it looks like strapped in and the front seat where you would have it. And picture 2 kids and all their stuff.
Good luck.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
TRD is nice enough but personally, I have never understood getting a TRD 2WD since I am not sure how much off-roading you will see in the 2WD truck. The standard 2WD suspension is perfectly adequate for dirt roads and what not. For you, your money would be better spent on SR5.
Don't they make a TRD SPORT 2wd in Tundras still? I know they do in Tacomas. I wouldn't be getting TRD off road 2wd.

·
Registered
345 Posts
The deals are out there if you are patient. I bought mine around May of last year (08 DC 4x4 TRD 35k miles for $26k and had them throw in leather in the deal). I had to drive three hours one way to get it but, was well worth the deal! Do your research, figure out what you want and take the time to shop for that exact truck. Also, don't get crazy on factory upgrades (navi, jbl, leather, etc) bc you can work those in to the deal. And, aftermarket electronics are cheaper and better quality. Good luck!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
10,869 Posts
Don't they make a TRD 2wd in Tundras still? I know they do in Tacomas. I wouldn't be getting TRD off road 2wd.
Yes, they make them but the TRD is an off-road package.

Also the first two trucks you posted are the same truck, third one is nice, fourth one is fugly as hell :D

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The deals are out there if you are patient. I bought mine around May of last year (08 DC 4x4 TRD 35k miles for $26k and had them throw in leather in the deal). I had to drive three hours one way to get it but, was well worth the deal! Do your research, figure out what you want and take the time to shop for that exact truck. Also, don't get crazy on factory upgrades (navi, jbl, leather, etc) bc you can work those in to the deal. And, aftermarket electronics are cheaper and better quality. Good luck!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Yes, I'll definitely be patient. In no rush...and I like to do my research. Thanks for the input!

·
Premium Member
10,869 Posts
I meant don't they make a 2wd TRD Sport in Tundras anymore? Not just the TRD off road?
Sorry, forgot about the sport TuRD, yeah, they make those. Don't see a ton of them for one reason or another though. I believe user gpend5.7sport has one.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I would look at what you may consider to do with the bed. The CM has a sweet back passenger area for sure. However the DC is definitely doable even with kids. My DCs back seats are bigger than my GMC Crew Cabs, which says alot for the DC. I think of the DC as a standard crew cab and the CM as a limo ride. But if you plan on ever hauling anything in the bed the DCs 6.5 is so much nicer. I've lost count of things that wouldn't fit in my 5.5 but fit in my 6.5. So with that it's up to your use. If you're going to haul get the DC. If not get the CM.

As for the 4.6 vs 5.7... 5.7 all day long. Just get it now & not regret it later. It brings much :D:D:D.

Reactions: maverick22 and 2010

·
Spooge Guzzler
6,318 Posts
I really like the SR5 package. Gets you bucket seats and a center console. There doesn't seem to be too much storage otherwise. And gets you the underseat storage in the back but it may be hard to use if you have car seats. But it's a good place for jumper cables and what not.
The bench seat isn't actually a bench seat. It's the same bucket seats, just replacing the center console with a center seat. Which folds down into an arm rest with cup holders and storage. And center seat bottom lifts up and has storage also. So, storage is comparable, just configured differently.
Besides, the center console and console shift isn't conducive to road head. So, booooo.
Good point on the under-seat storage not being as convenient with a car seat strapped to the seat. In a crew max, there's plenty of room behind the seat to throw that stuff in a duffle. You just slide the whole seat forward, grab your stuff and slide the seat back again. Never disturbing the car seat.
Then again, I can't say I've seen too many 2wd, 4.6 CMs for sale. So, it might be a moot point.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts