Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

I am new to the forum and wanted some advice from the experts. I am ready to buy before the end of the month to get the cash back and 0 % financing.

I have settled on the CrewMax cab and have looked at both the platinum and the limited rock warrior trims. Both are pretty close in options except for the shocks and tires.

I live in the north east and we got lots of snow this year, not sure how the tires on the platinum trim would perform?

I will use the truck to tow a boat and general use.

I am looking for some comments on daily ride quailty for family driving with the Rack Warrior package. How do the tires perform in spirited road use? :) Do they get the same mileage?

If you bought one of these packages would you again or would you have gone with another?

Sorry for all the questions...

Thanks again for the help!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have owned a 2010 Rock Warrior for about 30 days now. Love it. It is my daily driver and feel like it has a better ride than my wife's Honda Pilot.

Not sure how old your kids are but if they are young like mine and in car seats (especially rear facing) I would go with the crew max. The back seat is gigantic and will hold all the crap that come along with your kids. You can easily keep a stroller, cooler, and a pack and play inside the cab all while your kids fit comfortably in their car seats and your wife isn't eating the dash board.

Good luck with your search!

·
Registered
583 Posts
If you hang out here, you'll be changing the wheels and tires soon enough anyways :D

You're really looking at 20" vs 17" wheels. You'll have more options for a 'E' rated tire in a 17" wheel if you are doing some significant towing. For going back and for to the local launch- either would be more than adequate.

I live in CT and had the stock tires (BFG Rugged Trails) and they did fine this past winter and on hunting trails. I'm going to get an AT tire the next go around, only because that's what I prefer. Not that the stocks couldn't perform.

Would you rather have the Rockwarrior wheels and color matched bumpers, or some of the interior extras that the platinum will give ya? Either way, you can paint the bumpers (like I did), or get new wheels/tires.

For me- ventilated seats would win out in the platinum. Either model would get new wheels/tires eventually.

·
Premium Member
10,869 Posts
You don't mention wanting to do any off-roading so if that is the case, the platinum (assuming non-trd) will ride much nicer than the RW on the road due to the softer suspension.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks for the responses. I will be doing very minimal amounts of off road. Mostly boat and snowmobile hauling. Snow traction is key though.

Love the look of the RW limited, with the tires and badging. The ride seemed a bit choppy compared to the platinim but the test drive was short. Can anyone comment on that?

Are the upgraded shocks of any value to me given my primary use of towing?

·
Registered
583 Posts
Due to the suspension as 2010crewmaxtrd mentioned. The rock warrior will have a harsher ride on roads because of a stiffer suspension.

·
Registered
69 Posts
When I purchased my Tundra this past summer, I test drove every model. The first model I drove was the RW, and I did not like the ride at all. Twenty years ago, I would have loved the truck, but as I now have three kids and was looking at daily driver with towing capacity, I quickly ruled that one out. I ended up settling on the SR5. After driving the TRD and SR5 back-to-back many times (this was multi-month process for me), I thought the TRD was a little stiffer than what I liked and needed right now, and I couldn't bring myself to justify the cost of the higher end models. I would recommend driving all the models and seriously considering what your tastes are right now, and, more importantly, anticipating what your tastes and needs are going to be four or five years down the road. I need some minimal four wheel drive capabilities, and I definitely need ground clearance to get back into some of the places I trout fish and hunt. However, I don't off road, and I enjoy the "sofa" ride and comfort I get with the SR5 as a daily, family driver.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Snow traction is key though.
After living in Alaska for 35 years I can tell you if you want great snow traction then pony up the money for a dedicated set of snow tires, preferrably studded. All season or all terrain tires absolutely suck compared against a dedicated snow tire. Put the snow tires on the factory wheels and buy a nice set of aftermarket wheels and tires for summer. Since you are only using each set for 6 months they will each last you about 6-7 years.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts