• Other

Votes: 0 0.0%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

· Premium Member
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm gonna head west to Tampa next Saturday to dip my whole truck. I like the white look but since the day I got my baby she had scratches and rock chips all over the place and it only got worse.

Toyota dealer didn't want to repaint my whole truck since it had the clear coat defect that most white Tundras suffer with.

So I thought about wrapping her in a different color and saw that carbon fiber Devolro Tundra and gave them a call. They estimated a price between $4500 - $5000! :eek: No way I'm gonna spend that much on cosmetics, I'm better off spending $3500 on a standalone instead.

So now I've come to the conclusion that dipping is the way to go. Thought about doing it myself but I suck at these things and I always get that texture effect that ruins every plastidip project when I try and dip something. Looked around and found a professional shop that would do the whole truck including the wheels for $800! Now the only thing that's left is to choose which color to go with.

My first choice is white matte, it would blend perfectly with the undipped areas that are hard to reach and would stay stock white.

Next option is Black matte, simply because it will look bad ass! I'm gonna do the roof and wheels black matte anyway.

Finally, dark blue matte. Its the one DYC did on Fonzie's S4.

I really like how it turned out and I will finally be able to relate the "B" in BRX to the truck :D

I'm open for other color suggestions as well. Thanks!

· Registered
8,147 Posts
and you think PD will be more resistant to rock chips and scratches than factory paint because . . . :confused:

Reactions: BRX

· Premium Member
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
and you think PD will be more resistant to rock chips and scratches than factory paint because . . . :confused:
I had scratches and rock chips since day one when I bought it in 2011. I only got one or two more in the past two years. I will touch up most of it before dipping next Saturday. I know PD is not invincible but it should handle rock chips well, better than this paper thin paint toyota uses anyway. However, the main reason I'm doing this, is because I just got sick of the dull paint spots all over the truck. Removing those requires a complete body re-paint, and that could take more than a week or two and would cost more than $4K!

Any other reason why I shouldn't do this?

· Registered
75 Posts
I voted black, I think it would definitely look badass.

· "The Antagonizer"
12,030 Posts
That dark blue matte does look unique. I'd definitely go with that because I don't think there is a Tundra yet with that color. I know for sure there is many white matte and black matte Tundras.

· "A Man Needs A Maid"
1,276 Posts
Black. Take a ton of pics in different light for us. Look forward to your review and pics.

· Premium Member
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
fix chips...... apply clear bra. Done

I am thankful for mine every time I look at it. (Especially after living in AZ)
Fixing the chips requires painting the whole panel and I don't want to spend that kind of money to remove small scratches and chips. Touch up paint will still be visible so I might not even do it after all since the shop said it won't effect the dip.

Lots of pictures will be posted after the installation don't worry lol

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

· Registered
245 Posts
Fixing the chips requires painting the whole panel and I don't want to spend that kind of money to remove small scratches and chips. Touch up paint will still be visible so I might not even do it after all since the shop said it won't effect the dip.

Lots of pictures will be posted after the installation don't worry lol

I'm in Tampa also. Who is doing it for you? You doing it next weekend? I would like to see it in person.

· Registered
542 Posts
Black matte would look killer.

· Registered
1,744 Posts
Am I the only one who had a hard time keeping plasti dip clean? I vote white but I don't think you will be able to keep it clean

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

· Premium Member
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm in Tampa also. Who is doing it for you? You doing it next weekend? I would like to see it in person.

Dip 'n' Go: http://www.dipngoautocolor.com/

The customer support is amazing. They reply to your email and answer all your questions within the hour. If i drop the truck off Saturday morning, it would be done Sunday evening. PM me your number and I'll text you when its done.

Am I the only one who had a hard time keeping plasti dip clean? I vote white but I don't think you will be able to keep it clean
That's why I'm hesitating about white, it looks cool at first, but very dirty in a day or two. Hopefully if it is done right, it would handle dirt better.

· Premium Member
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Damn, I shouldn't have started a poll. I should have just went with my gut, but now even my gut doesn't know which color to chose :p

Keep the suggestions coming guys! I really appreciate it :D

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.