Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking to put some lights on my truck,

measured those little cut outs in the front bumper and they measured about eleven inches long. was thinking of putting two SR 10'' Bars in two of them.

i just want more light, but want a clean look. if anyone has any pictures of there set up that would be great!!

·
Premium Member
2,272 Posts
Make sure the cutouts have enough height too. There's not a lot of space to work with there.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I like the behind the grill idea as well

Reactions: Chas

·
Premium Member
2,272 Posts
I'd be worried about the bottom set not producing light out to the sides since it's set so deep in that cutout. It'd probably look like a box shadow if those are flood instead of spot lights.

Reactions: Chas

·
Registered
28 Posts
re

I have 2 10" Flood style bars mounted behind the grille and 1 20" spot bar mounted in the center space of the lower bumper cutout. I think it makes more than enough light. The 20" bar is not very far behind the bumper cover so there is really no loss of light and the floods are right behind the grille and I don't think there's any loss there either. I didn't want anything outside the truck. Wanted to keep a clean stock look. I also don't worry about someone stealing or breaking them mounted where they are.
I couldn't find any aftermarket mounting brackets that worked perfectly because there's very little flat surface back there but with about an hour of work I was able to make some brackets that worked perfect. I have the Rigid bars but assume the visionx and other similar bars would mount as easily.
I couldn't be happier with the results. With all 3 on I have light as far as I can see as well as plenty of light on the sides of the road ahead where I want it so I can see those dam deer that seem to wait for me every night to jump out of the woods.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have 2 10" Flood style bars mounted behind the grille and 1 20" spot bar mounted in the center space of the lower bumper cutout. I think it makes more than enough light. The 20" bar is not very far behind the bumper cover so there is really no loss of light and the floods are right behind the grille and I don't think there's any loss there either. I didn't want anything outside the truck. Wanted to keep a clean stock look. I also don't worry about someone stealing or breaking them mounted where they are.
I couldn't find any aftermarket mounting brackets that worked perfectly because there's very little flat surface back there but with about an hour of work I was able to make some brackets that worked perfect. I have the Rigid bars but assume the visionx and other similar bars would mount as easily.
I couldn't be happier with the results. With all 3 on I have light as far as I can see as well as plenty of light on the sides of the road ahead where I want it so I can see those dam deer that seem to wait for me every night to jump out of the woods.
that sounds exactly what im looking for...

do you mind posting some pictures? i would greatly appreciate it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. I can open the pic no problem and its straight as it should be but when attached its rotated wrong and I cant fix it. Sorry. I hate when photos are sideways but I just don't know what to do to change it. Hope it helps anyway. If you want better photo I can email it to you.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Minivan Compact mpv

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. I can open the pic no problem and its straight as it should be but when attached its rotated wrong and I cant fix it. Sorry. I hate when photos are sideways but I just don't know what to do to change it. Hope it helps anyway. If you want better photo I can email it to you.

View attachment 63585
Hey bpm, it's really easy. Just open the pic up with Windows Photo Viewer and on the bottom there should be a "Rotate Clockwise (curved arrow)" button (or hit CTRL and .)... Once you get it right side up, just close it out and it should save.

·
Registered
28 Posts
re

Thanks for fixing the photo. I'm still trying to figure out this new windows which drives me mental sometimes.
And thanks for the comment on the install.
Living in the woods with so many deer and other nocturnal creatures roaming the sides of the roads I needed something for those late night rides home. Those little bars put out a ton of light. I wasn't looking for the sun but just something to let me see a bit more when necessary. I went with rigid because of the warranty and good reviews. They also had good customer service who assisted me a few times both prior to and after purchase. I know led bars are out there for much less and I'm sure they are just as good. I just happened to find rigid first and they were very helpful so I went with them. I've heard good things about visionx as well but I had already purchased the rigids. I do like how their product comes complete and ready to go. Everything I needed was in the box from several mounting options, lighted switch, and correct relay. All I had to do was figure out where I wanted them and then find surfaces strong enough to mount them.
I helped a friend install a pair of Hellas behind the grill on his Tundra and his came out nice as well but due to the weight of the Hellas it was a bear fabricating a mount that would hold them solid. It was definitely interesting to find out exactly how thin some of the material used in a vehicle is yet how strong it is for its designed purpose. Some of the spots we tried were solid as a rock from one standpoint yet flimsy as paper if force was put on it from another direction. Its amazing how much design and engineering goes into a vehicle.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Looks great bpm991. One question for you. Where did Toyota mount your trans cooler? I couldn't mount my lights symmetrical since the trans cooler is mounted on the passenger side of the radiator.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Didn't relocate the cooler. Its still on pass side in front of radiator. I'm pretty sure They are mounted above the top of radiator by a little bit.
Theres so much stuff in front it was difficult to find a spot but even with the cooler and the reservoir and all the other stuff I managed. Compared to a stock tundra set up, mine was a huge pita. Theres so much more room stock than I have but I was able to manage. All that extra piping and tubing is annoying to work around though. I have 2 large hoses that don't move at all on pass side that stock doesn't have. Would make install a lot easier.

·
Registered
4,945 Posts
I'll be mounting a 40" bar in the front valence and a 24" behind the grill. I'll be sure to post pics of how in install them

·
Registered
412 Posts
Gabe how do you plan on fitting a 40" bar on the front valance?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts