Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...and you tell the salesman not to wash it-that you'll be detailing it yourself-they get pretty grumpy.

My Dad-82 years old-slid his jeep off the road and after six stitches in his head decided he wanted something safer. So yesterday we go out to get a new ride-a Nissan Juke-and as we're doing all the final detail stuff I tell the salesman that we won't need to have it washed and that I'd be doing the paint protection myself.

Earlier I called BS on his "dealer protection package" for $750 "that we'll waive, but won't warranty". I said, "Are you telling me that Nissan doesn't treat their metal to not corrode? Why are they using such poor materials and process where you have to do undercarriage protection? Maybe we should be looking at a different brand if this is the case..." He didn't like that one too much and said, "Well of course this is the 21st century, they use good stuff so you'll probably be OK."

F'n car sales whores.

So he goes outside and I follow him out and say, "C'mere. Look at this. See all these little scratches? Those are from improper washing and I'll have to remove those before I put the protectant on top."

He says in a dismissive tone, "Hmm. In 30 years I've never looked at a car that closely."

I say, "Of course you haven't-why would you? Your job is just to sell, not understand."

Things went fairly south from there.

·
Registered
66 Posts
You sound just like me. I just ordered a 2014 Jeep 2dr Rubicon and told the sealer I didn't want it detailed or one of their dealer stickers placed on it and I thought his eyes were going to come out of his head. His response was they have a really good detailer on staff. We walked over to the door that leads out to the bay where a kid was washing a car. He had the hose he had been dragging all over the floor draped over the hood of a new car while rinsing the van next to it. I looked at him and he just looked at me with a blank stare and said he understands.

·
Premium Member
1,967 Posts
Had a similar story at the Acura dealer with my wife's car. We were there for warranty work and I taped a sign to the window that said "DO NOT WASH". The service manager was busting my balls about my sign and said they had an outstanding detail crew, "the best in the city" according to him. As we stood there talking, we overlooked the best detail crew in the city doing what they do best.....crap work. I watched three teenagers "detailing" a new TL. They started towel snapping each other on the butt and one dropped his towel on the ground, picked it up and continued wiping down the black TL. I told the service manager that's exactly why I don't ever want them touching my car. The timing was awesome, it couldn't have happened at a better moment.

·
Premium Member
1,967 Posts
...and you tell the salesman not to wash it-that you'll be detailing it yourself-they get pretty grumpy.

/QUOTE]

I've been through that a few times. It's my understanding (told to me by a friend who does F&I at Toyota) that when a customer buys a car or truck, Toyota sends out a survey inquiring about their experience at that particular dealership.
One of the questions on the survey (it was on mine too) is " was your vehicle delivered clean and detailed?". Your dealer needs you to answer "completely satisfied" on all questions, or they get crap from Toyota.

When we or friends buy new cars, I insist that the car not be detailed upon delivery. I promise the salesman or manager that I'll fill out the survey with "completely satisfied" on that question and they usually play ball. You are in an extremely low percentage of people that request that, so most of them have never heard that request before. Most all customers want it delivered shiny with Armor All slapped on the tires and they are happy.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Had a similar story at the Acura dealer with my wife's car. We were there for warranty work and I taped a sign to the window that said "DO NOT WASH". The service manager was busting my balls about my sign and said they had an outstanding detail crew, "the best in the city" according to him. As we stood there talking, we overlooked the best detail crew in the city doing what they do best.....crap work. I watched three teenagers "detailing" a new TL. They started towel snapping each other on the butt and one dropped his towel on the ground, picked it up and continued wiping down the black TL. I told the service manager that's exactly why I don't ever want them touching my car. The timing was awesome, it couldn't have happened at a better moment.
Those moments are priceless...

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Op, you sound pretty rude if those are the words you chose. They are trying to make a living too
Thank you, because that's exactly what I wanted to be, so mission accomplished.

I was tired of his BS sales crap and all the little games he was playing with my Dad.

I've been in sales a long time and anyone who has any real integrity can close a deal without lying about stuff.

I've dealt with car salesmen who were straight shooters and this guy was a POS from the get go.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

/QUOTE]

I've been through that a few times. It's my understanding (told to me by a friend who does F&I at Toyota) that when a customer buys a car or truck, Toyota sends out a survey inquiring about their experience at that particular dealership.
One of the questions on the survey (it was on mine too) is " was your vehicle delivered clean and detailed?". Your dealer needs you to answer "completely satisfied" on all questions, or they get crap from Toyota.

When we or friends buy new cars, I insist that the car not be detailed upon delivery. I promise the salesman or manager that I'll fill out the survey with "completely satisfied" on that question and they usually play ball. You are in an extremely low percentage of people that request that, so most of them have never heard that request before. Most all customers want it delivered shiny with Armor All slapped on the tires and they are happy.
Yeah, I got that from him. He spent more time on telling us to give him great marks than he did on just about anything else.

He literally put the piece of paper in front of my Dad, put the pen down and said, "sign it"...I was two seconds from tearing it up to shreds and hauling my Dad out of there just to keep the sale from him..

Hopefully I get the customer satisfaction call just for some payback...

·
Premium Member
1,967 Posts
Yeah, I got that from him. He spent more time on telling us to give him great marks than he did on just about anything else.

He literally put the piece of paper in front of my Dad, put the pen down and said, "sign it"...I was two seconds from tearing it up to shreds and hauling my Dad out of there just to keep the sale from him..

Hopefully I get the customer satisfaction call just for some payback...
Toyota takes that very seriously. I called Toyota Corp. to complain about something at a dealer close by to me that is know for shady tactics. It wasn't ten minutes later and I got a call from the manager at that dealership asking what they could have done to make it right. Squeaky wheel gets the grease.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
They left the plastic bags on the seats and all the shipping labels on the windows when I bought my truck. That's the way I like it. Otherwise it's like having someone unwrap Christmas presents for you, just wrong.

Reactions: Powertechn2

·
Registered
7,071 Posts
I never wash my truck, there's no point, where I live you can wash and detail your car and within 10 minutes its just as dusty as it was before you washed it and wasted an hour or more of your time.

As for the Whole sliding off the road and wanting a safer vehicle...There's nothing wrong with a Jeep, that Nissan Juke will do the same damn thing, as a matter of fact any vehicle will LOL. Well I don't like Jeep anymore since they did away with the 4.0L Straight 6 anyways, just saying that it don't matter what you drive if you slide off the road its gonna cause problems LOL. He should have bought a Tundra, the Nissan Juke is just a golf cart with a cab.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
I never wash my truck, there's no point, where I live you can wash and detail your car and within 10 minutes its just as dusty as it was before you washed it and wasted an hour or more of your time.
That's like saying I am never going to take a bath because I'll get dirty today anyway. :confused:

There are days where I go to the car wash twice or even 3 times in a day. Yeah dusty roads too so gotta go more often, not less often.

Reactions: Johnny 5

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
Thank you, because that's exactly what I wanted to be, so mission accomplished.

I was tired of his BS sales crap and all the little games he was playing with my Dad.

I've been in sales a long time and anyone who has any real integrity can close a deal without lying about stuff.

I've dealt with car salesmen who were straight shooters and this guy was a POS from the get go.
Yet, you/your Dad, bought a vehicle from the guy.

Go figure.

Reactions: Johnny 5

·
Premium Member
3,151 Posts
So you're cool with industrial fallout, chemical etching, UV damage etc eating away at your finish? Actual dirt is a rather small piece of the reason to wash/protect it.

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
Jeep is the most dangerous car on the road
A buddy of mine was a service manager at a dodge/jeep dealer, he had soooooo many issues with complaints about driveability of wranglers. Had more than you could count on one hand that complained about death wobble and uncontrollable steering that caused them to just hit the brakes and veer off the road. Chrysler even put out bulletins to them on how to handle the situation and explain to the customer that it is normal under certain road conditions etc...

What bs.

He left that dealership, and chrysler/mopar all together now. He told them he couldn't take his job and lie to customers and try to sugar coat shit anymore.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

As for the Whole sliding off the road and wanting a safer vehicle...There's nothing wrong with a Jeep, that Nissan Juke will do the same damn thing, as a matter of fact any vehicle will LOL. Well I don't like Jeep anymore since they did away with the 4.0L Straight 6 anyways, just saying that it don't matter what you drive if you slide off the road its gonna cause problems LOL. He should have bought a Tundra, the Nissan Juke is just a golf cart with a cab.
The Jeep doesn't have as good a balance and has a higher CG than the Juke does. It doesn't have near as good cornering or suspension, but most importantly, it has no airbags and the windshield is right at your face at a very flat angle.

Yes, any car can go off the road, but when you go off a road with a '92 jeep, things can get ugly in a hurry.

That said, I just might have to make it into my off road vehicle for sloshing thru the mud....

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So you're cool with industrial fallout, chemical etching, UV damage etc eating away at your finish? Actual dirt is a rather small piece of the reason to wash/protect it.
I'm with you. My truck still gets dirty and I only wash it once every couple of weeks, but I know that the rain won't eat through the paint because I've put the right stuff on it...That was the whole reason I researched all this in the first place-not so that I would have a truck that was always pristine and totally clean...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts