Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When towing a trailer in the freeway should I be driving on "D" or "S-4"

When driving on the freeway with my Tow Haul enable should i be driving with on "D" or should i have it under "S-4"

thanks

·
Read Only
0 Posts
I drive mine in S-6... I shift and adjust according to hills, whether they are uphill or downhill. 4 is a great uphill gear. On level ground I usually stay in 5 and sometimes 6 if it goes downhill for a good stretch. I also run with nannies off, and use tow haul. If I see a big steep hill coming up I'll go ahead and manual shift to 4 or 5 depending on how steep it is. 4 for steep, 5 for not too bad. I gather a little more speed before I hit the hill (like 5 mph). D works good too, but my mpg seems to be better with me controlling it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Turn on Tow/Haul, put it in D and don't use the cruise control. Tow/Haul does not work in S mode.

I just completed a 800 mile round trip towing 3000 lbs with a truck bed full of gear and a family of four in the cab. I'm driving in KY, OH, and IN. Pretty much hills everywhere...rarely a flat, straight road to be found. Cruise causes the transmission to downshift too much. Actually I've found that my truck gets much better gas mileage without cruise whether towing or not. Going 60-64 mph with hills the entire trip, I averaged 15.7 MPG hand calculated.

This transmission is impressive. It must have some sort of gyroscope. It knows when I am going up a hill and it'll hold 4th gear. And then down hill it'll quickly shift back up into 6th. There were some hills with rough grades on the way down. When I hit the brakes the transmission would downshift and use the engine brake to maintain my speed. There were a few that were just too steep though and I had to use S-4 to hold my speed and save my brakes (per manual recommendation).

Turn on tow/haul, shift into D, use your foot and take your time. You'll get the best mileage/performance that way.

·
Registered
181 Posts
None of this is correct! Read the owners manual! To tow, the truck should be put into 5th gear with the tow/haul mode on. If you tow at high speeds in 6th gear the tranny can overheat as the pump can not flow enough fluid through the cooler. It's happened to me in sub zero temperatures.

·
Premium Member
4,295 Posts
correct

None of this is correct! Read the owners manual! To tow, the truck should be put into 5th gear with the tow/haul mode on. If you tow at high speeds in 6th gear the tranny can overheat as the pump can not flow enough fluid through the cooler. It's happened to be in sub zero temperatures.

·
F&@k Y'all, I'm from Texas
13,742 Posts
Both 5th and 6th are overdrive gears. If you are in D with tow/haul, and the transmission is hunting for for gears, then you definitely need to switch it to S5.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Well the thing with our trucks is if you give it more gas even if you're in 6th... It'll downshift itself to whatever I thinks it needs anyways. You really don't have as much control over it as you think.

But yes Tox I agree with you fully

·
Registered
9 Posts
None of this is correct! Read the owners manual! To tow, the truck should be put into 5th gear with the tow/haul mode on. If you tow at high speeds in 6th gear the tranny can overheat as the pump can not flow enough fluid through the cooler. It's happened to me in sub zero temperatures.
Wow...really...?

I've read my owners manual and the transmission service manual (which can be downloaded from this site). Tow/Haul only works in D, go find the service manual if you don't believe it. My (2013) owners manual says to use D with Tow/Haul and use S mode only on steep downhill grades to use the engine braking feature.

Why does this constantly come up on this site?

·
Registered
9 Posts
You can use tow haul is S mode
OK the LIGHT COMES ON BUT IT DOESN'T ACTUALLY WORK. Since you people are not smart enough to use google to figure this out I've done it for you.

Tow/Haul Disabled in "S" Mode

Download the PDF and read it. Page 35 clearly states that TOW/HAUL DOES NOT WORK IN S MODE. USE D AND TOW/HAUL, THAT'S WHAT TOYOTA SAYS.

I'm out and done with this site as well...

Attachments

·
Read Only
0 Posts
We all ask seemingly stupid questions when we are new, hell I probably asked a bunch myself :dunno: But I sure as hell didn't go around telling everyone that they are stupid, on my 9th post :eek: (I waited a couple years later for that) :D

BTW E-Light, how'd that google search help you with this question you asked a while ago :dunno: I assume you were smart enough to google it, right?
Let me answer that question for him if I can since I'm dumb as a rock.... No the spare doesn'thave a tpms installed. Crawl under there and look for the plain ole rubber valve stem poking out.

·
Premium Member
4,295 Posts
The heavier the load the less you want to use an overdrive gear. At 16,000lbs I used 4th in the valleys and 5th the flat stuff when coming back from AZ. But towing with this S/C is sooo much different.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
The heavier the load the less you want to use an overdrive gear. At 16,000lbs I used 4th in the valleys and 5th the flat stuff when coming back from AZ. But towing with this S/C is sooo much different.
Rub the ole SC in our faces haha... My wife says no way I'm getting one

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
The PDF says to engage tow haul with the selector in D. I didn't see where it said anything about it being disabled when in S. it says pushing the tow haul button a second time or turning off the vehicle will disable it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
1,701 Posts
The PDF says to engage tow haul with the selector in D. I didn't see where it said anything about it being disabled when in S. it says pushing the tow haul button a second time or turning off the vehicle will disable it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Who do you think you are???? Actually reading the PDF. :lol5:

Reactions: riccnick
1 - 20 of 58 Posts