Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Registered
14,309 Posts
2000 or so

· Registered
408 Posts
I'm at about 9,500....haven't changed it yet! Gonna take it in for my freebie at 10,000. I plan to get a UOA done before the change.

I may be living on the edge but I think that if Toyota say's it's okay then it will be. I mean really how many Toyota engines do you hear about that blow up due to oil change related failures?

· Registered
482 Posts
Changed mine at 5k. My free 10k oil change will be next month.

· Registered
926 Posts
around 4700 at my first free service appointment. The dealer changed it at around 5000 because it is a FFV and I get free oil changes for 25000 miles :)

· Registered
755 Posts
4840. Did it myself using Mobil 1 0W20.

Over 50% of those miles were towing my car trailer so I changed it earlier than I probably would have had to. Afterward, I had the oil analyzed and found out that I had nothing to worry about and could have gone longer before changing the oil.

· Registered
134 Posts
thanks everyone. i was always in the notion that regardless if its standard or synthetic you should change the oil at 1000 first and then go to what manufacture recommends!
that is a myth. If there was a grain of truth to it.. Toyota will not recommend the first oil change at 10K as they'd be worried about lawsuits and recalls.

10K for my first.. went on a 2000+ mile trip in the snow before the first oil change.. no issues whatsoever. In fact, I went to the stealership to get them to change the oil before I left for the trip (@ 6K miles) and they politely refused saying Toyota recommended is 10K.

· Registered
180 Posts
7500 miles. Did it myself as I don't trust dealerships to do anything I can do myself, plus by the time I drive 55 miles to the dealer and wait, I could have the job finished. Used Mobil 1 0W20.

· Registered
106 Posts
I just did my first oil change at 5000 miles, 2012 5.7L. Question on the oil filter - is the filter cartridge supposed to fit snuggly into the cannister housing? I didn't notice the tightness or looseness of the stock cartridge when removing but the new Mobil 1 cartridge fits somewhat loosely. I assume it seats firmly in as the housing is tightned back up into the engine. Thanks in advance!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.