Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 Tundra I recently bought used. I just replaced by brake pads, rotors, and strut assemblies on the front. Now the front passenger side wheel vibrates. At very slow speeds I feel a very subtle shake in the steering wheel. At moderate speeds, it feels like a lot of added friction and the "drag" sound is noticable. At high speeds, the vibration in the steering wheel is very noticeable. My first though is I need to take the wheel and rotors off and clean the space between the rotors and hub (which I will do this weekend). Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
...At moderate speeds, it feels like a lot of added friction and the "drag" sound is noticable. At high speeds, the vibration in the steering wheel is very noticeable. My first though is I need to take the wheel and rotors off and clean the space between the rotors and hub (which I will do this weekend). Any thoughts?
New rotors or used? Toyota or aftermarket?

I think your plan is good one. It sounds like you have brake rotor "runout", meaning your passenger side rotor is not running true and is causing a "hard rub" against your pads each wheel revolution. That would explain the noticeable added friction. This will cause fast, abnormal wear of your pads, and, assuming your rotor was good when installed, could quickly ruin your rotor.

Dirt or corrosion between the rotor and hub could cause this runout, as could manufacturing defects, or in the case of used rotors, warpage from prior brake overheating. A quick check to confirm would be mounting a dial indicator on some stationary chassis component (wheel off), and then measure the extreme limits of the indicator travel as you rotate the brake rotor. Anything more than a few thousands of an inch, means you've got a bad rotor, OR, there's dirt or corrosion keeping it from mounting square on the hub.

Reactions: Mr. Creosote

·
Cereal Killer
20,307 Posts
I've had nothing but trouble with this since I took delivery of the truck. Warpage / pulsation on braking, proportional to speed. The dealer comped a full set under warranty, then later another on my dime. Each time the shake returned in a short time. The latest attempt was a "better" set from Napa. This lasted much longer but ultimately warped again. It is true I have a lead foot and drive very aggressively. My Duramax is a complete piece of garbage, nothing but problems since new, but ironically it is approaching 140000 km and it still has all original pads and rotors....never touched them since new.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.