Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Once you start your truck and back out usually within the first 10-15 seconds whats the noise that I hear? Its like something engaging, lasts maybe 1 second then gone. I had the same thing in my Taco I guess I always figured ABS ? any thoughts?

·
Registered
368 Posts
Not sure what the noise is you are describing, but the starter and a/c dont vent any air like that. It could be the air injection system.

Do you shut the truck off with the A/C turned on? It could be the A/C compressor engaging.... Do you have a better discription of the noise you are hearing?

·
Registered
408 Posts
Its the air injection pumps that you hear. They run for about 30 seconds on a cold start. They make a high pitch whistle type sound, then an air release sound when they shut off.

They are also defective in design and the subject of a problem where they can corrode and a valve sticks open causing limp mode and a very expensive repair if you're out of warranty. Just google "Tundra air pump" and read away.

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
I suspect that you are talking about the ABS system self test. It happens once when you start the truck at about 15 mph. The auto door lock was timed to happen at exactly the same time to hide the noise but possibly that has been changed.

·
"The General"
4,172 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts