Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

i just purchased my very first tundra! its a 2010 Crewmax 5.7L, 4x4 of course . I want to do the whole tuner, exhaust, intake combo. But for right now i just want to do the air intake. What is your recommendation on the brands?

I'm kinda between the Volant and the AFE. I like both because they are closed boxes. Any ideas?

Thanks

-Nick-

·
Registered
439 Posts
I would do either the trd cold air or volant, I would go with the trd personally.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After reading some the reviews on the forum. i seen the TRD and actually have removed the AFE from my list of options.. The TRD looks like your more paying for the name. I really like the look of the volant intake, the filter looks huge on the volant. I'm guessing that is good. Best price on the TRD i found was $369.00 and $276.00 on the volant.

So by going the volant im saving nearly a $100.00. Is there anything to justify the $100.00 more for the TRD?

Thanks

-Nick-

·
Registered
439 Posts
Ya Toyota designed the trd intake to work with the truck and make mire power than the volant.

·
"The Antagonizer"
12,046 Posts
TRD intake since it is tuned the best for our Tundra's. I have the Volant and I love it but I also like the TRD intake. Forget the tuner, none are out for our trucks that are worth the money. UniChip is a tuner for our trucks but it's not worth the money because you don't get good gains.

If you want the best power get the TRD Supercharger. If you don't want to do the TRD Supercharger then just do headers, intake, and exhaust.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks for the information. I still think im leaning towards the Volant intake.

Actually i just ordered it a few seconds ago from KTE Sports(www.ktesports.com) for $276.00. They also had a volant throttle body spacer for only $39.00 dollars so i bought that as well, its worth a try :) Still cheaper then the TRD, lol.

i dunno i just believe sometimes parts made by the manufacturer of the vehicle are overpriced just because it was designed by "toyota". Thats just my opinion however.

I had a friend that has the volant intake for over a year now and i ride with him all the time. I can notice the power difference dramatically between his and mine.

And i like the idea of not having to clean the filter all the time.

Thanks!

-Nick-

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
TRD intake since it is tuned the best for our Tundra's. I have the Volant and I love it but I also like the TRD intake. Forget the tuner, none are out for our trucks that are worth the money. UniChip is a tuner for our trucks but it's not worth the money because you don't get good gains.

If you want the best power get the TRD Supercharger. If you don't want to do the TRD Supercharger then just do headers, intake, and exhaust.
Im not ready for a tuner yet. Just would like to down the road. i will have to research that more when its time.

Supercharger might be a little much for me.

I will take a look at the trd exhaust and headers. Both me and my friend are looking for an exhaust for our tundra. Maybe ill let him bite the bullet first. Ill have to show him the TRD.

Thanks guys!

-Nick-

·
Premium Member
734 Posts
You guys arent giving much credit to the A.F.E....any particular reason..price..performance..?
I have a brand new stage 2-Si waiting at home to be installed...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No hate on the afe. i have used there intake before on my dodge. however my friend just had good luck with the volant for his tundra, and i got to see it in person the gains :). so thats the way i went. Hope it was the right decision. I can't wait to try it

KTE Sports already sent me a tracking email! Looks like ill have it in a couple days.

Ill have to let you know how that goes

-Nick-

·
Registered
452 Posts
i run a afe stage 2 with a dry flow filter it was $100 dollars slightly used off amazon

·
Premium Member
734 Posts
No hate on the afe. i have used there intake before on my dodge. however my friend just had good luck with the volant for his tundra, and i got to see it in person the gains :). so thats the way i went. Hope it was the right decision. I can't wait to try it

KTE Sports already sent me a tracking email! Looks like ill have it in a couple days.

Ill have to let you know how that goes

-Nick-
Good deal, and good luck with the volant, look forward to hearing ur impression after install...
Didnt think u were hatin on the AFE just thought i mighta missed something bad about AFE...no worries

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good deal, and good luck with the volant, look forward to hearing ur impression after install...
Didnt think u were hatin on the AFE just thought i mighta missed something bad about AFE...no worries
No Prob! Ill let everyone knows how it turns out. Then it will be time for exhaust! :D

-Nick-

·
Registered
452 Posts
i think someone should do a intake shootout lol with both open and sealed type intakes ...truck should be bone stock and the only add on is the intake

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
I just installed the TRD intake this weekend. A great improvement over stock. Fits like a glove with no issues. Made for your truck. Truck is more responsive. Worth the money in my opinion.
I've had air raid, true flow, k&n and Volant on the 4.7. Went back to stock due to the loss of low end torque. Just FYI.

·
Premium Member
491 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
I sell K&N, AFE, Injen, AEM, as well... I am recommending what has been proven to work best for our customers.

I personally use an AirAid on my 06 Tundra, the fit was perfect and the kit was very complete and easy to install.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts