Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy just inherited some money and decided he wanted an upgrade to his V8 '02 Tundra. This is almost impulse buy territory for me at $3,000 CAD (friend price). I've been lamenting some of the space and power concerns of my '97 Nissan D21 4cyl (240,000 km / 149,000 miles, lots of panel rust - otherwise mostly ok), but I could probably sell it for $2,000 min where I live.

He is not, by any means, mechanically inclined so it's hard to really get a read on how much work it might need but he bought it from his parents so I'd expect a minimum amount of care has been taken. He just did "new front brake pads and rotors, new exhaust and muffler, new drive belt last year, new winter tires" to sell it. It has 297,000km on the clock (185,000 miles)

Through Google I've found some threads with good info on first gen Tacos but Tundras not so much. Frame rust and brake issues seem to be the big things to look at so hopefully they're ok - I'm not sure what the status of the frame recall in Canada is but I can try pull the VIN tomorrow. Also maybe a bit of a bummer if it only has a 4spd but it's probably close to fuel economy to my Nissan anyway (~14L/100km / 16mpg).

Just trying to weigh up the extra power & space, slightly newer truck, similar parts availability but an extra 57,000 km / 36,000 miles on the clock.

Thanks, hopefully I didn't miss a good thread here while Googling.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I would ask your friend about the timing belt. With 185,000 miles the timing belt probably should have been done at least twice (recommended around 90,000 miles). It can be expensive if done at a dealer. Otherwise these are fantastic trucks as I'm sure you've read. My 2006 DC has over 226,000 miles and drives great. Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I had a 2000 Access Cab with the 4.7L V8. I miss that old truck, and would rather have it (intact) over the 2015 I have now. But, the deer that jumped up in front of me at highway speed decided that issue for me...

I think I'd focus on the frame rust issue. You need to have somebody look at it, or at least get it up on a rack yourself. Check for rust perforations and soft areas on the frame. If you find one, think long and hard before you decide you want this truck. If any frame corrosion fixes can't be done under a recall, the truck could become a real money pit. That 2002 truck is nearly two decades old. Corrosion doesn't stop, and it doesn't heal itself.

Also check for corrosion on wiring harnesses and the like.

I'm speaking from experience as my old 1st Gen had a frame replacement in 2012 under the recall.

My 1st Gen got about 14-15 around town, and regularly about 17 on the highway. It really wasn't any better on gas than my current 2015 with the 5.7L.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts