Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i jumped in my tundra and ran to the store like i have 1000 times. Anyway i felt the tranny shift hard a few times and it has never done that before. My truck is an 07 RCSB 5.7. It has 67,100 miles so just a 7000 out of warranty which is a just barley a good chunk of driving. Problem is i think i am going to have serious tranny problems very soon. I have heard of it being a problem for others and i dont have money or time as this is my Daily Driver. What would you guys do? Im afraid i will get the run around from the dealer because its out of warranty. I heard its a sealed tranny and i dont know if taking it to the dealing and getting it flushed will help or not. I have been planning on doing that anyway since i hit 60,000 thats normally when i have flushed all my other vehicles but i just havnt made it to the dealer yet. I need your opinion on what to do because im almost 100 percent sure my tranny is going out. Toyota sure was confident in this tranny to make it a sealed unit as of now i dont believe in it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also i have been thinking i really want a crewmax. So maybe the answer is get rid of the rcsb and go get a crewmax. Im just not sure what to do.

·
Registered
13,349 Posts
Well what I can tell you Jeff is that a hard shift wasn't my issue with the tranny before replacing it. It wouldn't shift out of 4th. It would downshift but never upshift past 4th gear. I had to disconnect the battery in order to clear the codes so it would shift. Then it started not shifting past 3rd gear. This was due to the thrash from the torque which got magnetized and stuck to the 6 sensors in our tranny's. Haven't been able to prove if my issues started back when I hit the deer at 41k miles. My statements don't show any oil added to the tranny since the deer took out the oil cooler. I had it flushed at 68k. So who knows what caused it. The tranny place stated it was the torque caused it.

·
Premium Member
910 Posts
A "hard" shift doesn't necessarily mean that your tranny is going bad..

My tranny used to shift hard from 2nd to 3rd if i accelerated a certain way when the trans was cold...

then i got the uni-chip and that went away..

you have an 07 like me with the same power train so chances are you have the same programming.

usually the way mine would hard shift is I'd start accelerating from a stop and trans would shift fine from 1st to 2nd but then the engine would climb to about 2k or so RPM's and hang there for a few seconds before shifting hard enough into 3rd to give me a good kick in the ass...

I learned how i had to drive to avoid it. And the strange thing about it was that once it did it, it wouldn't do it again unless I stopped somewhere and started the truck up again.

I talked to Toyota about it and a service tech told me that it had something to do with the trans being cold and it was it's way of warming up.

So from my experiences i gathered that it had something to do with the programming and not the trans since it's stopped doing it so far since I've had the Uni-chip installed.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Unichip does nothing to the trans programming

Sent From Droid Thunderbolt Via AutoGuide

·
Premium Member
910 Posts
Then i wonder what caused my hard shifts and i wonder what made them go away? :confused:

Because your right i just did a search and found that the uni-chip doesn't do anything to the trans, just the engine.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Then i wonder what caused my hard shifts and i wonder what made them go away? :confused:

Because your right i just did a search and found that the uni-chip doesn't do anything to the trans, just the engine.
Not sure, I get some strange feeling shifts from time to time also. I want to get my trans fluid checked to make sure the level is right at least.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
That's a tough call. Easiest thing to do first is have tranny flushed. See what that does. If your finances allow it, why not upgrade?

Sent from my ADR6300 using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Not sure, I get some strange feeling shifts from time to time also. I want to get my trans fluid checked to make sure the level is right at least.

That's a good idea. My dealership service adviser told me recently that they had seen "several" 2nd gen Tundra tranny's come under-filled by as much as 1-2 quarts straight from the factory. I had them check mine and the level was spot-on when measured at the required temperature.

·
Premium Member
8,114 Posts
I took mine in for strange shifts and a slight shudder pulling out from a stop occassionally....and a few times on the interstate when I kicked it in to pass, it downshifted with a SLEDGEHAMMER!

They said it was a qt low....I have just about 30K miles on it. They very next day I'm doing my oil change and the Damn rear trans seal has obviously been leaking, I don't know how they missed it since they had to be under there to check it.

I still haven't made it back to get the seal changed....Oh and it STILL is ocassionally downshifting VERY hard and I detect a shudder sometimes when I pull out.

I'm just glad it's getting documented early!

·
Premium Member
910 Posts
I took mine in for strange shifts and a slight shudder pulling out from a stop occassionally....and a few times on the interstate when I kicked it in to pass, it downshifted with a SLEDGEHAMMER!

They said it was a qt low....I have just about 30K miles on it. They very next day I'm doing my oil change and the Damn rear trans seal has obviously been leaking, I don't know how they missed it since they had to be under there to check it.

I still haven't made it back to get the seal changed....Oh and it STILL is ocassionally downshifting VERY hard and I detect a shudder sometimes when I pull out.

I'm just glad it's getting documented early!
The shudder could be coming from your carrier bearing.

I'm going to be doing the trans fluid change here shortly to change out the filter.. I'll post pics and keep everyone updated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello everyone my name is chris and i am new to this site and to owning a 2007 toyota tundra dc with the iforce 5.7..i recently purchased it from a car lot and it had amproblem with shfting hard and giving quit a shudder. They made an appt for the next day for it to be fixed..told me i could take it home and bring it back in the next day it would be taking care of..so it was put into a shop not the dealer..and they ended up changing out a solenoid in the transmission and trans fluid change... It still had a hard shift from like 2nd to 3rd gear they called the manufacturer of the part and the shop told they said there wasnt no programming it it had to find its own point to shift??? And to go ahead and put 500 miles on it to see if it straightens out?? Well after my 500 mile trip it seems to do the same thing and cause a hard shutter and a hard hit when shifting still..i did notice that during my trip after it got warmwd uo it didnt seems to do it no wheres as bad..so took it back in they said the carriage bearing was bad so they replaced that...still doing thw same..and i noticed today that it seemed to have some play in the shafts close to the bearing...now that im out of syatw and i did purchase a warrenty i am supposed to take it to another ase certified shop and pay my 100 bucks to get it lookwd at again...not sure what to do...i really love the truck and it will tow what i need it to but just lost on what the problem is i guess...sorry so long ...thanks in advance guys and or gals!!

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts