Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have had lots of lifted trucks over the years and am now thinking of lifting my 07 that I have owned since new. The truck only sees road use - my KTM is for my off road fun! I put 285/65r18's on it the day I brought it home but will be doing either a coilover lift (icon or fox) or BDS/ProComp ~4" kits. I had icons on my gen 1 tundra which were great but I did eventually have to replace the lower ball joint and cv boots. So, with my choices above I am to torn - please help me!!!

I want the BDS but am struggling with the thought of cutting the cross member. I have been convinced that the kit adds strength vs removing it, but I am concerned that I will forever ruin the trucks driving characteristics as road manners are critical. Can somebody convince we otherwise?

If I don't pull the trigger on the BDS I will go with coilovers (+uca) but am wondering if I should be expecting the same ball joint and cV problems? Also, with a 2.5" lift and 20x9 wheels with 5.5 Backspacing what's the largest tire I can fit without trimming the body mounts (which I am ok with doing)?

Beyond hearing your thoughts on the above, has anybody done one or the other and regretted it? If so why?

So, I do know lifting always has a compromise someplace, but am stuck on which path to go.

Please help a fell addict decide what his next fix will be !

·
Registered
762 Posts
If you want your truck to perform the best it can under the conditions in which you use it, anything more than coil overs (and those could be argued here) will send you in a negative direction. I have found over the years, that many folks will use and enjoy their coil overs.... folks like yourself that might not normally take it on some easy to moderate trails, suddenly discover the extra performance and start ripping fire roads or what have you.

·
Premium Member
1,984 Posts
No regrets.........Do it. Makes your truck feel new again. I love driving my truck.

·
Premium Member
1,984 Posts
Yeah pretty much, anything more than stock is a start. LOL. You'll be good with any coil over option you decide to go with. The only regret you may have is that you didn't go high enough. After awhile even a 7 inch lift feels normal again.

·
Registered
232 Posts
i went with a level kit. i regret not going at least 3" all around

·
Registered
71 Posts
My specs are in my signature. I have no regrets at all. This set up has improved the ride quality (less bounce and stiffness) compared to stock. And it's a blast offroad. It definitely encourages me to drive faster on dirt roads. Haha. No regrets at all, and I'm glad I didn't go any higher. I like the proportions of this set up.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
dropped my truck off for the lift today. going with the BDS 4.5 and is being installed by RMS on Long Island. Wheels will be 20" Machined XD Cranks wrapped with 35x12.5 Toyo AT2's

I will post an update when I get it back next week.

·
Registered
90 Posts
dropped my truck off for the lift today. going with the BDS 4.5 and is being installed by RMS on Long Island. Wheels will be 20" Machined XD Cranks wrapped with 35x12.5 Toyo AT2's

I will post an update when I get it back next week.
I'm waiting for these promised photos..you know that. Mine goes in for the same kit on 7-24. I need details man...

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's going to be a long week waiting ! I dropped it off yesterday but I won't get it back until Fri of next week due to some work travel I have to do. Will post them ASAP I assure you.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
I went 3/1... and ultimately upgraded the rear from blocks to+3 CB shackles. I have no regrets the truck looks, drives and handles just like I wanted it to. I wish I had upgraded shocks when I had the front end torn apart and now I'm putting off doing it, even though my stock shocks are probably good for another 30K.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Can't wait for the pics!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts