Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm looking to buy the towing trailer ball and and towing ball mount from an oem Toyota supplier online. Which size ball do I need? They offer a 2" and 2 5/16" ball but don't specify the weight rating on them. I will be using it to tow an acura integra on a trailer from Vegas to Phoenix a couple times a year, so I will be going through mountains. The car weighs about 2700lbs. I'm guessing the bigger 2 5/16" ball can handle more weight and would be the safest option to get. I also noticed that the smaller 2" ball is more expensive, why is that?

·
Registered
380 Posts
The trucks reciever fits 2" square tube, the ball size depends on the trailer coupling. You need to check the trailer to see what size the coupler is.

·
Registered
6,445 Posts
After you find out the trailers ball size, get one with the proper size bolt hole to fit the mount. And get a mount so that the trailer tongue will be as level as possible.
The place you are getting the trailer from should have all the info and parts you need.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. I was going to rent a trailer from Uhaul and on their website, it says to use a 2" ball.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Reactions: Jmur32

·
Registered
6,445 Posts
Uhaul has all the stuff you need in stock. Just go there and buy their stuff. They will hook you up. No reason to get OEM mounts.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
2"is what you need. 2 5/16" is used on trailers rated over 10,000 lbs
Normally over 8,000lbs. Of course, it depends what the builder had available. One of my Featherlite trailers has tandem 3500 axles, with a 2 5/16 coupler.

Trailer Hitch Balls | etrailer.com

Ball Diameter Specifics

1-7/8 Inch Ball Diameter Hitch Balls
Shank diameter: 3/4" and 1"
Capacity: up to 2,000 lbs
Finish: nickel plated and stainless steel
Shank length: short, medium and long
Used on small trailers

2 Inch Ball Diameter Hitch Balls
Shank diameter: 3/4", 1" and 1-1/4"
Capacity: 3,500 lbs to 8,000 lbs
Finish: nickel plated and stainless steel
Shank length: short, medium and long
Used on smaller to medium sized trailers
Most common ball size

2-5/16 Inch Ball Diameter Hitch Balls
Shank diameter: 1" and 1-1/4"
Capacity: 6,000 lbs to 30,000 lbs
Finish: nickel plated, machine and stainless steel
Shank length: medium
Used on heavy duty trailer applications

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
My 25' hybrid travel trailer (3700 lbs dry) has a 2 5/16" coupler.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts