Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just put a set of Cooper Discoverer A/T3 XLTs size 285/75R18s on the stock 2017 SR5 TRD steelies. Gonna have to do some cutting/bending, they rub when you crank the wheel over. But damn do they look hella better than the old stock 275/65 Michelins!

Attachments

·
Registered
94 Posts
These are 295/70/17.
Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx tires

I am also running Bilstein 6112's at the top setting AND I used coachbuilder shims to move my bumper forward 1/2"

So far, I'm loving everything about this setup

·
Registered
20 Posts
What size Cooper Discoverer STT PRO Tires on Stock 2016 TRD Pro

So far I am leaning towards 295-70-18s.
Not without a leveling kit! I have a 2019 TRD pro and I put that exact tire/size on my truck. Not possible stock, i double checked before I put the leveling kit in.

Attachments

·
Registered
158 Posts
I can add 1 inch in diameter and 1 inch in width with most trucks and SUV's.

If you go under the truck and have the wheels cranked all the way to the right you can measure the clearance at the front and then crank the wheels all the way to the left and check the clearance for your current tires at the rear. Not really any need to guess, only to have a tape measure at hand.

There is also a specified rim width range for a tire and best to stay within that specification.

·
Registered
18 Posts
seikoh
Where are the 285x75 tires rubbing?
That size tire looks great.. More side wall is a good thing.
Are you running wheel spacers?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Nah, I’m not buying the hype. I know the claim is +2” over the other tundras, however they come with the same size stock tires as the other models. I had a 2012 rock warrior before this one that had a 3/2 leveling kit in it. The rock warrior sat higher then the pro. I could clear the 295/70/18’s on the rock warrior, not even close on the pro until I put the leveling kit in, and they barely clear now. Better suspension, yup.... factory leveling kit, maybe the front sits higher on the pro by a half inch but you couldn’t convince me that it’s significant. I put the 3/2 kit in the pro and now it sits perfectly level

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
I just put a set of Cooper Discoverer A/T3 XLTs size 285/75R18s on the stock 2017 SR5 TRD steelies. Gonna have to do some cutting/bending, they rub when you crank the wheel over. But damn do they look hella better than the old stock 275/65 Michelins!
My next tire when my KO2s wear down.

·
Registered
17 Posts
seikoh
Where are the 285x75 tires rubbing?
That size tire looks great.. More side wall is a good thing.
Are you running wheel spacers?
If I go hard right or left I hit the skid plate. Fender wall is no issue at all. I'm usually not turning like that, I only noticed it doing a 3 point turn at the shop after the install. I was shooting for more side wall instead of width to try and keep the tires tucked in so I don't get much collateral damage up the side of the truck. I refuse to put fenders or splash guards on the truck. >:D No wheel spacers, just the stock SR5 TRD wheels.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Sounds good.
I have 275x70x18 BFGs and TRD Pro springs and a TRD Pro Skid Plate.
I also put on RCI Trans/T-case skids and a gas tanks skid plate.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I can add 1 inch in diameter and 1 inch in width with most trucks and SUV's.

If you go under the truck and have the wheels cranked all the way to the right you can measure the clearance at the front and then crank the wheels all the way to the left and check the clearance for your current tires at the rear. Not really any need to guess, only to have a tape measure at hand.

There is also a specified rim width range for a tire and best to stay within that specification.

ok so after checking, I have about 1.5" of clearance to my back of front fender (without front mudflap) and same to my rear wheel well on the back side. My stock rims are 18x8 and the range of the cooper discoverer S/T maxx is 7.5-10". the 295-70-18 tire is 34.25" dia. x 12" wide where my Michelins are 32.1" dia x 11" wide. so mathematically they should fit. Spacer would probably not work.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just put 295/70/18 Cooper discoverer STT PRO on my '13 rock warrior with leveling kit on front. So far love these tires and their aggressive look. I had to take off the mud flaps (oh well). And took a heat gun to the plastic wheel well covers protecting the fog lights. So far, so good. One issue is pulling to the right even after an alignment. Rotated tires and still pulling. I know the bigger tires will pull, but I had the same pulling prior to getting these new shoes put on. Toyota dealership is trying to tell me it's my tires. Ongoing issue I need resolved.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Those WILL work. I had that size ST Maxx’s on my stock ‘07 Tundra. I only had to trim about 1/2” off the skid plate. That’s it. No level required.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts