Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I know when I had my VW, it specifically recommended Premium. I think my 09 Dodge Ram specifically recommended mid grade! toinght I was searching in the manual for my 2014 tundra and it says minimum octane 87, but does not specify recommended normal use. I take their mention of 87 to caution about using anything less! So, I thought about going premium. Then, i found a new station in my area offers ethanol free gas. I read a post on here where someone was getting around 19 mpg with ethanol free and figured i would try it. So what is everyone else doing? I know this topic comes up from time to time and people are opinionated and blah blah blah. sorry if u think its insignificant. please keep the conversation civil no matter how you feel on the topic! thanks. :D

·
Registered
248 Posts
I'd like to know myself. For the 5.7 engine in particular. But regular is 87 octane and using higher than recommended octane can actually damage an engine.

·
Registered
256 Posts
How can a higher octane gas hurt the motor?

Owners manuals always state a minimum octane but never seen one that mentioned a maximum octane.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
my VW had it written right in the inside of the gas door. The ram i believe had it written in the manual. but i could be mistaken on where i got the info. If better octane gets better mileage im all for it. Last night i filled up with ethanol free fuel, it was like $77 to fill it up. $3.80/gal wasn't too bad in my opinion. about $0.40 more expensive then regular 87 octane but if it helps the truck run better and more efficient I'm game. Im used to paying that much for fuel anyways with my last truck. it will just keep me from driving the wheels off of it and loading up the mileage.

·
Premium Member
1,056 Posts
Minimum octane 87 is just what it says- the minimum. Some gas sellers mix in detergents in their higher octanes, some don't. As you know, the primary reason for a higher octane is to prevent detonation due to timing or compression.

I played with different octanes on a number of vehicles over the years. 3 or 4 tanks of this grade. Then 3 or 4 of that grade.

Never saw a bump in mileage on any vehicle.

I'd like to try ethanol free. I think any mileage gains will come that.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Interesting comments. We recently moved from an area that did not offer fuel with ethanol. Now all the fuel is labeled "Up to 10% ethanol". The fuel mileage in our Hyundai Elantra increased about 10% with the ethanol fuel.

I give up trying to figure out these fuel issues. So many opinions and none based on hard core data. I just use the cheapest gas the manual says is ok and fill it up when it needs it.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I'd like to know myself. For the 5.7 engine in particular. But regular is 87 octane and using higher than recommended octane can actually damage an engine.
False information, It is impossible for higher octane to damage a motor.

Put race gas in your Tundra 110 Octane, nothing will happen, except it will run cleaner and probably produce a slight power increase via increased timing.

Either way, higher octane is harmless.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Well I read it on the internet so it's got to be true right? I did more reading when I had a chance and no, higher octane wont hurt an engine. It just hurts your wallet.

Bonjor-

But still the question remains; what do most of you feed your 5.7 with? "Plus" gas is medium grade around here. I've used it in my 2002 for 12 years, so I'll probably use it in my new 2014 too....

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
im gonna try out this 87 ethanol free (pure gasoline) for a few tanks and if it gets me anything over 15-16 mpg ill probably continue to use it. ill report back when im done with 4-5 tanks to get a good baseline. Im of course assuming that because my window sticker said "13-18 avg 15", my truck would probably get around 14 mpg on 87 with 10% ethanol. Im also going to get an ethanol tester and maybe ill start testing fuel to see what its at before I fill up.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Ethanol is used to increase the octane rating, but it decreases your fuel efficiency quite a bit.

Octane rating is how well it resists blowing up before the spark goes off. Too low means detonation means damaged engine. Go as high as you want, and the most you'll see is slight increases in power due to timing control.

Ethanol = less fuel efficiency.
Octane = resistance to blowing up early. Use the minimum recommended or can get away with. (Higher altitude = ability to use lower octane)

Side note: The only reason to ever use E-85 is for performance in forced induction application. It has an equivalent octane rating of 110, so you can play with a whole lot more timing, and pull out a whole lot more power, than 91 octane regular gas.

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
I started using only premium after I installed a CAI and exhaust as it seemed to run better and I got a little better gas mileage. Not substantial but better. I was more worried about how much better the truck ran than mpg.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
226 Posts
87... no ethanol yet at 900 miles. Costs about 10 cents more per gallon. $3.25 last time I filled up. Hitting a bone chilling 15.7 MPG according to my dash. I do have a 5.7L with bigger tires than stock, so I am taking into consideration the tires affect the mileage a bit.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts