Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
When I bought my 2015 Tundra TRD OR, i noticed a bad dent in the tailgate. It was hard to spot at first because i think the previous owner backed it into something with the tailgate down. It was mostly covered by the bed liner and I didn't spot it at first but the damage was extensive under the liner. Anyway, the dealer agreed to fix it but the cost was going to be high. They said they would replace it with a new tailgate which was fine by me but the deal was it would come off of one of their trucks on the lot. (i was also told it would be about a 6 week wait. I could live with that, however.) I said I didn't care as long as there was no damage on the replacement and the paint matched. After we finished switching the tailgates I noticed this icon on the tailgate. I am just curious if anyone knows what it means. Anyone seen this on a NA model before? It gets lots of comments. I am tempted to say it is a high performance logo that shows this truck has a high performance set up straight from Japan but in reality I have no clue what it means. Anyone know? I do like the fact that it makes the truck a little bit different from everyone else's Tundra.

·
Registered
305 Posts
When I bought my 2015 Tundra TRD OR, i noticed a bad dent in the tailgate. It was hard to spot at first because i think the previous owner backed it into something with the tailgate down. It was mostly covered by the bed liner and I didn't spot it at first but the damage was extensive under the liner. Anyway, the dealer agreed to fix it but the cost was going to be high. They said they would replace it with a new tailgate which was fine by me but the deal was it would come off of one of their trucks on the lot. (i was also told it would be about a 6 week wait. I could live with that, however.) I said I didn't care as long as there was no damage on the replacement and the paint matched. After we finished switching the tailgates I noticed this icon on the tailgate. I am just curious if anyone knows what it means. Anyone seen this on a NA model before? It gets lots of comments. I am tempted to say it is a high performance logo that shows this truck has a high performance set up straight from Japan but in reality I have no clue what it means. Anyone know? I do like the fact that it makes the truck a little bit different from everyone else's Tundra.

Its Toyota in Katakana トヨタ (Japanese). Not familiar with the symbol or design though.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
HA! Interesting. Maybe the truck was return sourced from Japan, and that's the ubiquitous dealer or distributor logo. :|

Anyway, it provides ammo for a good performance story...Google says OkiTundra's "Katana" is Japanese for the legendary samurai sword.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Your username brings back great memories. I spent many summers in my youth, camping at Sanca Creek and fishing on Lake Kootenay. Good times, beautiful country.

·
Registered
305 Posts
HA! Interesting. Maybe the truck was return sourced from Japan, and that's the ubiquitous dealer or distributor logo. :|

Anyway, it provides ammo for a good performance story...Google says OkiTundra's "Katana" is Japanese for the legendary samurai sword.

The nostalgic トヨタ logo was used worldwide on all Toyota's up to the early 70's and some folks like the JDM (Japan Domestic Models) nostalgia aspect of applying decals or vintage logos to their current rides.

·
Registered
14,226 Posts
The short version: It's just a sticker someone put on it to be different.

Reactions: theoat

·
Registered
808 Posts
Super cool old school Toyota. I'd find a place for one of those on my truck if I had one, and I got away from putting stickers on my trucks a very long time ago.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.